Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Safe standing

i wouldn''t have thought the capacity would change much as the rail seats would be installed unless they''re significantly narrower. i would also think that they''d be installed in the snake pit and possibly the far end of the lower barclay by the hotel if it was to ever happen.

There is definitely a capacity increase. Football is a cutthroat business and clubs wouldn''t spend money on it otherwise. Google suggests 3 standing for 2 sitting http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal/the-proposal-continued---the-sums

I stopped going to away games because I''m only 5 ft 6 in and got fed up with only seeing a third of the pitch due to 6 ft buggers standing in front.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I stopped going to away games because I''m only 5 ft 6 in and got fed up with only seeing a third of the pitch due to 6 ft buggers standing in front.[/quote]I''m a few inches taller but spent half a lifetime supporting from the terraces and enjoyed most of it apart from a few instances of overcrowding and restricted vision. Its annoying when you get there early and some giant turns up at the last minute and its also the reason I stopped going to away matches. I finally opted for a seat after a back injury made standing for 90 minutes too much of an agony.O.K. for the young but wouldn''t be able to manage it now

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]My understanding, is one seat = one person standing, so no change.[/quote]So pricing would be the same otherwise it would be self defeating.

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]I would like to see a safe moaning area where people can moan without fear of being verbally abused[/quote]I''m already in that area.[:D]

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I stopped going to away games because I''m only 5 ft 6 in and got fed up with only seeing a third of the pitch due to 6 ft buggers standing in front.[/quote]

Try away games when you''re 5ft but if you moan you''re ruining other people''s match, even when you''re in the seats at Brentford or Burton when there is terracing

According to wiki, Westfalenstadion, where Dortmund play, has a capacity of 81360 for league matches (standing and seated) or 65829 for international (incl UEFA) games, all seated - so there''s clearly some benefit to capacity from having the standing area.

If safe standing makes no difference to capacity then the standing ''pens'' must have been designed with extreme caution in mind.

The two advantages of SS are that it gives choice to those who prefer it and that it increases the stadiums capacity surely?

The latter being the real interest to clubs ''investing'' in it in the first place.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]If safe standing makes no difference to capacity then the standing ''pens'' must have been designed with extreme caution in mind.

The two advantages of SS are that it gives choice to those who prefer it and that it increases the stadiums capacity surely?

The latter being the real interest to clubs ''investing'' in it in the first place.[/quote]If there is no financial incentive for the club it obviously isn''t going to happen.

[quote user="Darth Canary1"]I''m not against it as some fans would like it. At my age and after 4 pre-match pints I prefer a seat these days.[/quote]Near a gangway I hope.[:D]

Seating is the reason for the lack of atmosphere these days. Standing seems to encourage a better atmosphere.

The rail standing areas means every fan is standing behind their own numbered crush barrier which means that surges aren''t possible and fans aren''t standing in exits and aisles.

This has got to happen cause some 25 years since Carrow Road had proper standing areas many fans still wish to stand at football games and this includes fans not old enough to remember standing areas at the ground.

In fact safety would improve with safe standing areas because when fans stand behind a seat this can act as a trip hazard when pushed from behind!

I think to satisfy safety and to eliminate any chance of anything happening a stand converted to safe standing areas would hold exactly the same as it did with seats.

The Hillsborough disaster wasn''t caused by people standing. It was caused by the authorities deciding to open all the exits to the Leppings Lane stand, effectively allowing anyone on the street entry into the stand regardless of whether they had a ticket or not. Then caged of areas, fences and poor crowd control measures ensured that a disasterous incident was about to occur. Norwich fans who went to West Ham in the FA cup Quarter final a few weeks before Hillsborough will testify that something similar could have happened in overcrowded away end. I well remember fans climbing onto the roof trusses, massive surges and the police just gesturing with their arms trying to get fans to get down.

The subsequent Taylor report was brilliant in that crowd control measures have improved massively and grounds are much more modern and safer now. But all this could have been done with standing areas. Unfortunately the clubs used the Taylor report to try and attract wealthier, corporate people to games and try and push out poorer fans.

If this ever happens and I think common sense will prevail eventually, at Carrow Road the lower Barclay and snake pit would be the two areas most likely to be converted!

I''ve seen the safe standing in Celtic Park and the glasgow boy were giving it lots of atmosphere, but there wasn''t so much as standing and dancing about where everyone in an entire row linked up and dancing up along the row.

I can see a capacity increase, but only along a row, the concrete steps probably preventing any increase in the number or rows.

However I can''t see any price reductions happening in any of the multi-verses that exist,. Cost of putting them on needs paying for and why would we chose to lose income??

With very limited spare capacity at Carrow Road the displacement of fans is a major consideration. It is all well and good saying have a safe standing area in this part or that part of the ground but there may possibly be hundreds if not thousands who do not wish to be located elsewhere to make it happen.To gauge whether there is the appetite for it to happen at Norwich why don''t the club carry out a survey of our season ticket holders which number around 21,000 ish with a few straightforward questions along the lines of would you prefer to sit or stand, would you be prepared to move if your area was to be converted to safe standing ? If thousands wish for it to happen there is a tentative green light to move it forward but if it is just a few hundred can the expense and inconvenience to many be justified ?Anyway standing in the way at the moment is Government legislation.

The Trust did a poll on twitter and with just over 1000 voting, 88% voted for safe standing and Archant also did one with similar results

Whether those voting are the ones affected in the Barclay I''m guessing no one knows so might be interesting if just the Barclay st holders were polled by email as they are the ones affected? But as Tilly says there is a lot to consider before this can ever go ahead here, cost, inconvenience etc etc

It isn''t really necessary as standing in the lower Barclay and the away seats are now pretty much taken as a given. I''m sure those in the LB who are not happy with this have moved else where.There is the cost and time involved in installing ''barriers''The ticket price will not change as a direct cost to any work. Prices are determined by what the market will bear, not costs inccured.Best let sleeping dogs lie, on this one.

[quote user="Diane"]The Trust did a poll on twitter and with just over 1000 voting, 88% voted for safe standing and Archant also did one with similar results[/quote]Those sort of polls are pointless. It''s obvious the folk who want to stand will vote for it. The other 25,000 or so who won''t be affected won''t bother to vote so the organisers know before they launch these polls they will get a favourable response. It doesn''t bother me whether there''s safe standing in parts of the ground or not, and it seems most of us won''t be affected hence the complacency in the ''against'' column.. It''s often said standing will create a better atmosphere in the ground and I''m sure it will. However, if results and performances don''t go our way then it stands to reason the bile and vitriol will increase too.Careful what you wish for.

I sit in lower barclay (block C) and would like to stay sitting.Safe standing is fine with me as long I dont need to move

"It''s often said standing will create a better atmosphere in the ground"

if only we had some merry old soul who could ttake to the pitch and jolly things along

[quote user="city4eva"]I sit in lower barclay (block C) and would like to stay sitting.Safe standing is fine with me as long I dont need to move[/quote]Your last sentence is the view of how many i wonder ? You won''t find that answered in a poll i bet.