Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

Is women's sport entertaining

Yes - the cricket was a great game - very enjoyable - and answers the question completely!

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 27/07/2017 8:55 PM:

Your approval is all I need winker

Great, always pleased to offer faint praise when a poster cunningly picks up on an obvious innuendo👍

to be fair, if all we wanted was quality, then we wouldn''t be on here... it''d be Barcelona, real madrid etc. sometimes you''d rather see a competitive game.

Agree TJ

It''s the passion and competitive edge that can often make up for something that''s of lower technical quality.

I watched some of the game last night. I''d say it was entertaining but not for the reasons you normally watch. The quality was so poor it was like watching a Sunday League game, but there was great passion and everyone was very keen.

But why are the goalkeepers always so poor?

Brilliant win for the lionesses last night. Beaten France for the first time since 1974. Battled for their lives for the last 20 mins. I hope some of you watched and supported. Proud of them for getting the job done. On to Netherlands in the semi-final, football''s coming home!!

I have no idea how they managed to keep a clean sheet. It still seems that playing football doesn''t come naturally to girls and that will only change over time.

I''ve been watching it and as a former coach for a girls team it''s great to see them having the TV exposure and success.

Although, must admit, they have been very lucky and not really sure how they have not lost the last 3 games.

Most important thing is that hopefully it will encourage far more girls not just to start playing but also continue during their teenage years. This will ultimately bring an improvement in the game.

I think England are playing to win and the opposition are trying to play football.We keep it very simple, concentrate on holding our shape and play a lot of percentage balls up to the striker or down the channels.If your pass success rate is only 70% then best not to over pass it.If your striker is converting chances at around 80% then get it up to her in and around the box.I`m not being disrespectful, Wimbledon played in a similar way and were very successful in doing it.The team knows it`s weaknesses and strengths, has a game plan and carries it out very well.

"Although, must admit, they have been very lucky and not really sure how they have not lost the last 3 games."

Yep, they are starting to play like the England Men''s team at tournaments.

Shame.

7Rew, totally agree, I was hoping that watching the ladies would be an improvement on the mens side, but its the same old fault lines. Despite having obvious talent they have reverted once again to the "english" style of play - and all that does is bring on the chances of a heart attack sooner than I''d like! Still we''re in the semi finals and only the Dutch (at home) to beat - how much more tension do you need from your viewing.

Watching any evenly matched game of cricket, football, tennis, hockey etc will be entertaining but certainly in terms of football the quality is so far behind the men''s game (particularly goalkeeping) that I find it hard to take it seriously, despite the BBCs current obsession with the women''s game.

So it can be entertaining yes but in terms of ball games I''ve yet to watch a women''s sports match in any sport (save maybe netball) that can quite match the intensity, power and impact of a really good men''s match.

[quote user="shefcanary"]7Rew, totally agree, I was hoping that watching the ladies would be an improvement on the mens side, but its the same old fault lines. Despite having obvious talent they have reverted once again to the "english" style of play - and all that does is bring on the chances of a heart attack sooner than I''d like! Still we''re in the semi finals and only the Dutch (at home) to beat - how much more tension do you need from your viewing.[/quote]

Boothroyds U21s were the same. On the face of it did quite well in their tournament but their ball retention and technique was awful in comparison to Germany and Spain.

I don''t think that the current hip word '' pressing'' perhaps should not be usedCould confuse the poor dears