Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

51 years Ago Today.

And since then Germany have won 3 times and been runners up 3 times and won the Euro Championsips 3 times, runners up 3 times. Maybe our nation needs to re-evaluate how we do tournaments.

Meanwhile we have a German Manager/ Coach/ Delia''s Lapdog/Webbers dogsbody

[quote user="Herman"]And since then Germany have won 3 times and been runners up 3 times and won the Euro Championsips 3 times, runners up 3 times. Maybe our nation needs to re-evaluate how we do tournaments.

[/quote]Or as the classical music critic of the New Statesman (who, having grown up in Vienna between the wars, at the time of the Wunderteam, knew good football from bad football) said in his column the day before that final:"Next week I will tell you how England won the World  Cup, and what we can do about it..."

Sorry - find this thread too late.

But this was the day of my 8th birthday so my parents had arranged a party for me, whereas all I wanted to do was watch the game. I was regularly scolded for ignoring my friends and failed to watch as much of the game as I''d have liked.

The only blessing was that I was allowed to go to the cinema to watch a full screening of the game (about a month later I think) in full colour.

Incidentally, Kate Bush & Daley Thompson were also 8 on that day - where are they now?

[quote user="wooster"]Sorry - find this thread too late.

But this was the day of my 8th birthday so my parents had arranged a party for me, whereas all I wanted to do was watch the game. I was regularly scolded for ignoring my friends and failed to watch as much of the game as I''d have liked.

The only blessing was that I was allowed to go to the cinema to watch a full screening of the game (about a month later I think) in full colour.

Incidentally, Kate Bush & Daley Thompson were also 8 on that day - where are they now?[/quote]I think Kate still trains with Daleyrunnin'' up that hill

9 months before I was born,

That''s why my ethic is to win, not never mind they did there best or we are to small to compete.

I was 10 years old, the main thing I remember is that at the time we were living on an RAF camp and a couple of our friends up the road had a German mother and were supporting Germany, As soon as the match finished, we left our radio and my Twin and I ran up to take the mickey of our German supporters.  

[quote user="wooster"]It pains me to say it but that was one of your funnier posts ....[/quote]Yeah one every few hundred.