Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

New defence, New captain?

102 consecutive matches and at last he''s done it (thick skinned or what?) and D & D were solid today and another thing, have we now found a new skipper? We need someone to shout and have more energy and fair play to Hughes. Safri again fantastic.

Overall here''s to a clean sheet - keep this going and the chances will be converted.

Worthington must be sighing with huge relief. The boys stood up today and were counted for the full 90.

steady on...

It sounds as if Davenport has been superb, which is great until the 3 months end. Do you think we''d be able to buy him, like we did with Hucks, or will he be outside our range?

I think Hughes will make a great captain and hope he keeps the armband.  Having said that, I still rate Flemmo and think that him and Davenport will make a great defensive partnership, with Flemmo being able to concentrate on his game - with Shacks and Ginger Pele as cover, we have a very handy defence.

[quote]102 consecutive matches and at last he''s done it (thick skinned or what?) and D & D were solid today and another thing, have we now found a new skipper? We need someone to shout and have more ener...[/quote]

To all the keep the faithers out there just remember it is only exactly the changes seen today that we have been calling for the last 8 months that have given us this victory.

A change in personnel and tactics have had the desired effect and hopefully the confidecne this brings will have an effect;  I had no doubt doc would do the job for us given a chance.

Still not sure about hughes but he does have a leadership quality that flem did not have - the number of times he would be geeing up players around him after he mis-placed a pass was a startling feature of the commentary but his role was mainly defensive today and that is where he needs to stay. Sounds like safri was superb again.

Give me a couple of midfielders to strengthen the squad and to sit alongside Safri and worthy will have got it spot one!

Replace davenport with Shacks when the time comes and we should be OK.

OTBC

[quote]102 consecutive matches and at last he''s done it (thick skinned or what?) and D & D were solid today and another thing, have we now found a new skipper? We need someone to shout and have more ener...[/quote]

"Worthington must be sighing with huge relief. The boys stood up today and were counted for the full 90."

That is the understatement of the year i bet worthington nearly passed out when he saw that the team he put out were putting on a good performance.

i am really proud of the boys today well done NORWICH! lets just not stop here though hey?! Three home games next a great chance to build on this

it sounded as if hughes had a great match, and was more than ably supported by davenport and doherty - they didn''t seem to put a foot wrong, though it is difficult to judge going on radio commentary alone

from the sound of it, safri had another great game and a few chances also, but where the hell was hucks in the first half, why wasn''t he playing?

still, he proved a point when he came on, thanks for that hucks, let''s hope you can get a few more in the games to come

but most of all, thanks to the lucky 2,500 fans who were there, couldn''t hear the scummers at all!   Is is true R Norfolk put all the mics in the away stand?   LOL

Davenport looked very good today, calm and comfortable on the ball. Hughes did well but I''m not sure about him as captain as he is a total nutter on the pitch! He clattered into their keeper well after the whistle had gone and for a minute I thought that the ref was going to even things up and send him off too. Safri... what can I say, simply my favourite Norwich player at the moment.

" To all the keep the faithers out there just remember it is only exactly the changes seen today that we have been calling for the last 8 months that have given us this victory."

That''s not strictly true Zippers. The ragbag of assorted whingers and whiners have also been constantly demanding that Worthington should go, that the coaching staff need to be replaced and virtually every individual player at sometime should be got rid off.

They''ve also been repeatedly questioning the ambition of the board and challenging their competence by their keeping of Worthington as our manager

Those of us labelled as the ''keep the faithers'' are not those who couldn''t see the failings. Of course we could. Where we differed was in our response. Not for us the near hysterical shrieking and shirt rending of the headless chicken minority. Not for us the tantrums and infantile threats. Not for us the demands for sackings and the selection of a new manager. We''ve kept our seasons tickets, we''ve kept our heads and kept our support.

If that''s called keeping the faith then good. Because that''s what you do as a supporter, whether you are second in the Premiership or second from the bottom of the championship.

[quote]" To all the keep the faithers out there just remember it is only exactly the changes seen today that we have been calling for the last 8 months that have given us this victory." That''s not strictly ...[/quote]

After 8 months of failing to change anything I can entirely understand fans frustrations but a review of my posts will reveal that I have not called for a change in the manager,  only a change in his choice of tactics and players which finally materialised yesterday.  

All the worthy outers had started with exactly the same issues that were addressed for the firts time yesterday, which, if addressed in time, could have seen us playing dull football with michael owen instead of exciting stuff with Sito!  Who is to say that yours or my view is right ahead of theirs?  All hold equal value.   However without a change results were not going to improve, which is the gripe I have withthe KTFers - just as my view is not always right neither is the clubs approach to the game.  As hysterical as some of the worthyout campaign has been it has been matched and execeeded by some of the eqully blind rantings of the KTF crowd, who could easily find themselves cast as the public in orwells 1984, believing every piece of news speak that the club chooses to profer themselves or through a compliant local media.

Hopefully yesterday was the small acorn for a mighty oak of a season; with (preferably) or without Worthy.   

OTBC 

I had begun to lose faith in Worthy big time, and my delight at yesterday is tempered by sadness that it sometimes takes him so long to do the things that appear patently obvious to many regular match goers.

We seem to have two speeds: lightning fast (drop WLY or Doc after one duff game) or dangerously dead slow (no defensive remedial work, playing players out of position, persistence with under performing favourites).

As I have said before, I believe we have a good squad, particularly now with Davenport on loan. We must and will some games with this squad. The test for Worthy is whether he is capable of gelling this unit into a team which regularly performs well and then taking it to a level where they are BETTER as a team than as a bunch of individuals.

One result (good like yesterday or bad like Tuesday) does not determine the judgement, but recently Worthy has posted more debits than credits. More in the next few matches will restore faith, I hope it happens, but it means that 18 months of underachievement need to be overturned.

Promising signs, I''l be watching with great interest on Saturday.

Incidentally I think that Hughes, clearly a fired up man with an attitude, will be just what we need in the middle of the park as captain.

[quote]After 8 months of failing to change anything I can entirely understand fans frustrations but a review of my posts will reveal that I have not called for a change in the manager, only a change in his ...[/quote]

Fairly patronising post there Zipper!! You may have not called for Worthy''s head, pretty close though if that''s true. Many, many others were and not just because he wouldn''t give Flem a rest and put Doc in defence. There has not been that much of a seachange in the team or tactics as far as I can see. Now, this isn''t a competition and obviously we could go on to lose the next 10 games (perish the thought) but there has been a witch hunt going on and many of the Worthy-outers are conspiculously silent today. Probably changed their fickle minds again ey, they''ll reappear if we lose next weekend. Fact is that NW carries the can and we won, so he gets the credit, end of. As for anyone who wanted Worthy to stay being the sheep from 1984, that''s patently ridiculous.

Again more misrepresentation.

Worthy actually dropped Huckerby which is clearly NOT what was being called for. I heard no claims for Docherty to play either. All views do not hold equal value. Equal right to be heard yes. Not equal value, that''s to be qualified.

" 8 months of failing to change anything .. " merely compounds stupidity. We have had umpteen players come and go and umpteen line ups. What you mean I suspect is that Fleming has not been dropped.

Your misrepresentation continues with your repeated claim associating opposition to sacking the manager with support for his team selection. It is not. Try understanding that.

Likewise your absurd use of the 1984 analogy. No one I knows believes everything that comes from the club. I expect them to put the best spin on everything. I expect them not to keep me informed about transfer deals and I expect the manager to decide who plays on the basis on what HE knows, not what a number of malcontents think they know.

The media can only report what they are given. If you have the wit to see through what is ''spin'' then why the gripe ? Otherwise stump up the cash and join the board. You''ll then be privy to all the secrets and decisions

It will also allow me to jump up and down and shout " sack Tumbleweed "

Whilst never being a fanatical ''Worthy Out'' man, I have questioned his decisions this season. When I saw the teamsheet yesterday, I could not believe my eyes! No Huckerby, Docherty in defence; Had Worthy finally flipped?

I now know the answer to that question was Yes, Worthy had finally "lost his rag", and not before time. The performance at Watford in the first-half was atrocious. Maybe now we''ll see our players ''fighting'' for their places.

I''m still a Fleming fan, and hope he can come back a better player. Having the manager take the Captain''s armband off you, and drop you is a big blow, I''m sure Flems is up to the challenge!

One result (and what a result!) does not a season make. If I was Worthy, I''d go with the same starting line-up against Northampton. Let the team that shone yesterday, have the chance to do it again. 

Whilst I have admiration for what Fleming has done in the past, I hope we don''t get an injury to Doherty or Davenport, because it would leave the door open for Worthy to bring back his deposed captain. 

I can only assume that Shackell has a niggling injury, but if that isn''t the case then he should be on the bench instead of Fleming. 

I think Hughes was an improvement on Fleming as a captain, but given the choice I would still like to see Safri given the job.

The big question is whether Worthy will start with the same eleven that started the match on Sunday for the Northampton game.

Great Mad Dan, please go ahead and sack me, I could do with the compensation payment just now! You might have to sack Zipper as well though.

[quote]Again more misrepresentation. Worthy actually dropped Huckerby which is clearly NOT what was being called for. I heard no claims for Docherty to play either. All views do not hold equal value. Equal...[/quote]

I apologise for any ''patronisation'' in my post (ironic that the accusation comes from one of the most patronising but there you go) as it was typed in rant mode at the KTFers who suddenly to proclaimed the tahn victory as proof that they were right all along (is thatnot a patronising claim either?)  

OTBC