Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Team for Fulham

According to Farke''s at the press conference currently ongoing:

Pinto in squad but not fit enough to start

Wes fit enough for bench

Murphy may be fit enough for bench

Martin has picked up a knock and will be a late call

If Martin is out then I guess we either have to start Godfrey at right back or switch to 3 at the back (again playing Godfrey) and play Wildshutt as a wing back. Does perhaps illustrate how we are still a defender or two light because if Martin is out then we only actually have two fit senior CBs.

Assuming Martin makes it then I think the only two selection points up in the air are Tettey or Reed (or both) and Jerome or Oliveira. I would go with Tettey and Oliveira personally but appreciate opinions may differ on that.

Yes we''re very short of defenders. Apparently Toffolo and Lewis are also out so if you count Godfrey as a midfielder we only have three fit defenders (Husbands, Franke, Zimmerman).

I''d guess a back three with Godfrey in there and Wildschut doing right wing back duites.

Probably right KC, and assuming Martin isn''t able to play a full game, I reckon it will look something like this:                         Gunn        Godfrey, Franke, ZimmermannWildschut,                                Husband                         Reed        Watkins, Vranjic, Maddison                       JeromeSubs:McGovern (I''d prefer Matthews myself)Pinto,Martin,Tettey,Wes,Murphy,Oliveira

I think the team above is what we will see although personally I would play Tettey away from home and I think Oliveira should start ahead of Jerome.

Really can''t tell from the selections in the friendlies who Farke thinks is first choice up front.

Maybe all those double sessions weren''t such a great idea after all...

I''d expect a midfield three of Tettey, Reed and Vrancic to give Norwich a more solid base. Fulham will want to dominate the ball so need tacklers in midfield.

Unless Farke will decide to completely concede possession to Fulham and look to hit them on the break. Maddison would help in that style.

I''m 99% sure Nelson will start over Jerome.

@BethnalYG

If we''re playing three centre backs and wing backs I can''t see us also playing both Tettey and Reed. That would be far too defensive.

I''d expect Reed and Vranic in the centre with Watkins and maybe Maddison supporting Nelson unless Josh is fit.

Farke has pushed Reed into a more attacking midfield role in some of the friendlies, he is capable of doing the holding role, or more of a box-to-box one.

Having Reed and Tettey allows Vrancic to push higher forward.

With Josh potentially out I can see Farke wanting to go with Nelson/Jerome and Watkins both down the middle, like against Brighton. With a makeshift defence it might be better to have two ball winners in the middle of the pitch rather than the slightly light weight Maddison, who would probably suit home games more.

4 of those you have on the bench, Indy, are Martin and Murphy (both injury doubts), and Pinto and Hoolahan (both just back in training). There are no other available outfielders from the squad number list (27 in total). Could be some interesting names on the bench. And then come the league cup tie, it seems that most of the squad for Fulham are going to have to go again.

To be honest whilst I am not in favour of fielding weakened teams in the cups in this scenario it would be madness not to put out a team comprised mainly of U23s and players who need minutes as they are returning to fitness.

It would be stupid to risk either of the two fit CBs we have in that game.

There won''t be many tougher away games this season so can see a pragmatic approach from farke with tettey Reed and vrancic starting to keep it tight yet flexible in the middle and covering the defence.

I suspect it will be Nelson but could also be a harder working Jerome.

Fair points Peter, just not sure who in the U-23''s could actually be called upon at this point.Early suggestions from Farke are that Pinto and Wes are both fit enough for the bench, which only leaves Martin and Murphy as the other 2 doubts, so maybe Efete to cover Martin on the bench if needed, and possibly Phillips/Cantwell for Murphy, other than that I think we might be struggling.

Oliviera

Watkins

Vrancic Reed

Husband Wildschut

Tettey

Franke Zimmerman

Gunn

I know quite a few regular starters from last year are injured, but realistically we are looking at 1-2 starters on Saturday from those who played regularly last year.  It may take a while for the players to click together smoothly.

Agree, Indy B. I''m hoping those 4 are all in the match day 18, as well. I was only highlighting the extent of our injury situation. It''s going to be interesting to see who''s going to come in from the u23s, if needed, though.

Expecting Tettey to come in for Maddison, although I would be sorely tempted by Maddison (in his new deeper role) as against Brighton. I think the other posts on this thread, though, have made me see sense on that one.

Godfrey to come in for Martin as the right sided CB of the 3, if the latter doesn''t make it. Oliviera for Jerome. The rest as started against Brighton.

I''m not sure if I''ve imagined this or not but did Tettey once play at right back for us under Hughton?? would be a more defensive option than Wildshut if Martin doesn''t make it and Gidfrey plays in the middle. Not ideal but needs must.

Tettey at right-back?!?!?!?Jesus wept, no. I''ve been a big fan of Tettey''s since he joined, often championing his qualities in the face of criticism, but even I think playing him at RB would be utter madness!If we''re not going to play wingbacks with Husband and Wildschut, and players like Martin aren''t ready, then the only sensible choice otherwise would be a 4 man backline, with Godfrey covering at right back IMHO.In fact, I think I''d rather play Efete at RB, than ask Tettey to play there!

In the event of possible absences of both Pinto & Martin, I think in our first game of the season away to our biggest bogies we have to start with a defence & counter attack structured eleven that consists of a back four that includes Godfrey as RB rather than Wildschut who doesn''t look comfortable at all in defence:Norwich City 4-1-4-1 football formation

[quote user="te94"]Oliviera

Watkins

Vrancic Reed

Husband Wildschut

Tettey

Franke Zimmerman

Gunn[/quote]

Wouldn''t we stand a better chance if we started with 11 players?

"Although given the number of players available, there''s not that much room for debate."

Well apparently we signed another one today.

Can''t we re-sign Bassong for a couple of games? Last heard of he was sitting in the bandstand on Eaton Park in his fading yellow tracksuit and worn out trainers looking rather forlorn.

Always at his best when brought in from the cold our was Seb.

(This started as a joke, but hey! Some are now talking of putting Tettey in the middle of defence.)

My money is on RM starting. He''s a club man, a true professional and club captain, if he''s anywhere near fit he will want to start.

[quote]My money is on RM starting. He''s a club man, a true professional and club captain, if he''s anywhere near fit he will want to start.[/quote]

Yeah I think he''ll want to start and obviously it''s always best to start an injured player rather than sub a fit player with an injured one.

Gunn

Godfrey Zimmermann Franke

Wildschut Husband

Reed Vrancic

Maddison Watkins

Oliviera

If Martin is fit, in for Godfrey. Tettey could slot in for either Reed or Maddison and keep an eye on the right channel and/or Husband, although I hope Maddison starts. Jerome could start to run them ragged before Oliviera joins the fray. Wes will hopefully make an appearance and we might see Josh Murphy. Everyone else is unavailable it would seem, bit thin at the moment. Not sure what happens in the event of defensice injuries - just slot Godfrey in somewhere? Nelson the only starter there from two months back, some turnover!

Maddison has to start for me. He''s starting to show that special individual brilliance that wins games. Oliveira too. OTBC