Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

Howson - I joined the best side in Championship

I see he is claiming to have joined the best side in the Championship. If he plays as well for them as he did for us last season, then perhaps he will still be playing in the Championship the following season.

Stop the press! New signing says the team he signed for is a good side. Ground breaking news, surely he must be the first footballer ever to take this stance?

Teams who go up for just one season before coming back down rarely ever do well the following year. I see them as similar to Cardiff who went down with us in 2014, they signed expensive players, everyone expected them to do well and they flopped.

I think the 3 that have come down this year are weaker than usual. Sunderland used to losing and don''t have much money, Hull are in a similar place to us right now undergoing a squad revamp under an unknown manager and ''Boro have come down with the same ''on loan to the Championship'' mentality that we seem to suffer every time we get relegated, I think they''ll be the strongest of the 3 but certainly won''t walk the league.

He ain''t going to say they''re pretty c(ar)p now, is he? Non news event as much as any player coming here saying we''re pretty well decent - you don''t knock your new school mates or teachers in fear of sitting on the bench.

On paper we were one of the best sides in the Championship. At least top 3 or 4. Didn''t end well for us and Howson was part of a collective group who must shoulder some of the blame for that underachievement. Here''s hoping he repeats it again this season.

Tbf I think they probably are the best side in the league.

Howson, Christie & Assombalonga are 3 very good players at this level so great signings.

Don''t know much about Braithwaite but he was linked with a few prem sides. £9m is alot for this level.

Still have Gibson, De Roon, Traore

"Hull are in a similar place to us right now undergoing a squad revamp under an unknown manager"

To compare Slutsky with Farke is absolute nonsense.

The bloke won 3 Russian titles and the cup twice in the span of about 5 years. He also got Russia to turn in some decent performances while still holding the CSKA job.

After what Webber said about him being unprofessional etc i think that is a fairly mild interview

he spoke quite professional not bad mouthing us no problem

He is probably right but who cares and I actually have very high hopes that we will have a good season despite the understandable scepticism in some quarters

That''s the beauty of the Championship as realistically you could argue that 10 - 15 teams have the best sides in the division, unlike the premier league where you have the choice of maybe 4 or 5. Howson has every right to say that but ask any of our new signings and I''m sure they''d say a similar thing about us.......let battle commence!!!

They''re close to signing Darren Randolph. Now that''s a really good signing to be fair. In spite of what I posted earlier, looking at their squad they do look very strong. If Monk can get them over the relegation hangover quickly and get them motivated they''ll be up there. That''s a big if though, only needs to ask his mate Alex Neil how hard it can be turning round a demotivated squad

Not sure you can argue with howsons statement...if they keep their squad together and add to it.

Even the fact that they have Bamford and gestede could give them 35 goals next season in this league

Borough and Villa are my tips for 1st and 2nd

Can''t knock Howson for wanting out -- he was fielded out of position by our previous couple of managers.I''m not at all interested in the fact that Monk will likely realise Howson''s true role and the latter might wind up with 19 goals this season.