Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

Stuart Webber hates plastics

What with that and the scampi situation there is still a lot of work to do at the club Captain.

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]Great interview on the scrimmage tonight

He really tore into the plastic fans that follow the club

Hopefully that will be the start of the club dealing with the issue.[/quote]

What did he say ?

The audio is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05bgb6w
Regarding "plastics", as Birdseye put it, Webber said that he dislikes the fans that ring up radio shows to complain about a performance but didn''t even see the game. This is football fans in general, not just Norwich fans.
It''s a great interview, Stuart is surprisingly funny. It was great to hear him speak so highly of Jacob and how he behaved during his transfer to Newcastle.

Jacob''s an absolute credit to our club, our academy and his family. Both boys are. I loved that he made special mention of Ricky Martin in his leaving remarks. So grounded.
How about drawing Newcastle in a cup and the twins playing on opposite sides at Carrow Road!

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05bgb6w[/url]
Starts at about 2 mins, lasts for 50 mins
As he says there has been so many changes at the club  so we need to have patience and support particularly the younger players because it isn''t going to work all the time and changes will take time.
He''s confident that we''ve got a great Head Coach from what hes seen and how the players have bought into what hes trying to achieve.
Speaks well & honestly doesn''t he and gives you confidence doesn''t he?
Great interview

I''ve always thought he must see something in the club that so many don''t. Something that had him leave a club that were possibly heading for the PL to one who looked to have failed to even make the playoffs.As above it does give me confidence - and confidence in those at the club who brought this about and were able to see the bigger picture.There is much to look forward to, and for many of us there is a renewed vigor about the place. Webber comes across as an open person, not coorporate bullsh yte, but speaks as if he were down the pub with you.My suggestion to those who want us to succeed is to ignore the whinge bags, accept there will always be the halfwits who whine on canary call and those who think NCFC have aright to be winning be in the PL and be successful.Well my ole bootys, what they do be is my club and be they be that ailse orllus a keep supportin ''em.Come you along together City

It puts to bed the dispute surrounding the exit of Jonny Howson.

I was one of those critical of Howson''s actions at the time but some defended him, even to the point of questioning Webber''s word in two or three instances.

He also explained why he revealed to the press the player''s rift with the club and some on here had criticised him for doing just that.

It seems that Howson actually refused to train and that this fact cannot now be glossed over despite the players wholesome reputation.

Begs the question, who now will get the loudest boos this season? Lewis Grabban or Jonny Howson.

I hope neither gets the bird actually and also that we manage a whole season free of any booing of our own, past or present ... I have a feeling we just might achieve that this time around such is the goodwill that has been gradually evoked by our management team.

Perhaps an extra cheer for young Tom Adeyemi in order to finally convince any deluded binners that we neither needed nor wanted the player at any time and that he was therefore never in a position to chose them over us.

Such a shame with howson really after so many successful seasons with us for him personally. I would have understood it if he had moved to a premiership team but are Boro really that big a step up? Perhaps they are paying him a ridiculous salary and gambling big style on promotion?

"Regarding "plastics", as Birdseye put it, Webber said that he dislikes the fans that ring up radio shows to complain about a performance but didn''t even see the game. This is football fans in general, not just Norwich fans."
I imagine his views on season ticket holders who come to matches and do nothing but moan were too trenchant to broadcast [:D]. 

It was a light hearted blokey sort of chat rather than an interview Bethnal, what challenging questions would you have put to him?

He seemed to be honest enough about where we still need to strengthen, gave a pretty straight answer about potential further leavers and an honest assessment of the club''s financial model.

Certainly not put on the spot though but put Mr Butler in his place..

He doesn''t sound like the sort who will take criticism particularly well if things don''t go to plan.

I don''t really agree that it puts to bed the Howson stuff in that all the way through it has only been Webber''s side of the story we have heard so this interview provides nothing new in that sense but Howson is gone now and as such its in the past and we move on. He seems competent and driven and that is what we need for the club so should override any minor issues regarding spin etc.

[quote user="Yellowfuture"]It was a light hearted blokey sort of chat rather than an interview Bethnal, what challenging questions would you have put to him?

He seemed to be honest enough about where we still need to strengthen, gave a pretty straight answer about potential further leavers and an honest assessment of the club''s financial model.

Certainly not put on the spot though but put Mr Butler in his place..[/quote]I haven''t listened to it yet but if there weren''t several challenging questions over the 50 minutes, which is an eternity in radio time, then Goreham and Butler have badly fallen down on their jobs as journalists/interviewers. They are not there to have a "blokey chat". That is for a fan meeting Webber in the pub and exchange a few pleasantries. And from what one has heard about Webber he would have been quite prepared to be grilled.

Huged missed opportunity.

Webber is very open and real insight could have be gained - this is the Sporting Director for Norwich City - he controls so much and his decisions are critical. There is so much I''d like to ask him.

What happens to the Cat 1 Academy if Norwich don''t get promoted?

How are Norwich identifying players such as Franke and Vrancic?

Do Norwich use traditional recuritment methods, or are they moving towards a Brentford style analytics team - which has been a huge success for them?

Is having a first choice goalie with zero first team experience not a huge risk? Similar with Zimmermann moving from the 4th tier in Germany to first team in the Championship?

What happens if Farke doesn''t work out and Norwich have built their coaching team around him? Or he is brilliant and poached?

He mentioned that there was a member of staff being disruptive on the tour - who was it? What was going on there?

Webber said they would release more financial details once the transfer window closes because ''why not?'' - What details are these going to be? Is there not a risk with being so open about Norwich finances and have Boro and Newcastle not taken advantage of that?

They could do 15 mins of ''blokey chat'' (which I have zero interest in) and then get into the important stuff. They literally give him 2 mins to talk about transfers, Webber is really open about potentially signing 2 midfielders. Maybe they should have given him more time to talk about that rather than other, trivial stuff.

@BYG, I completely hear where you''re coming from. I also think the intrinsics, for the mainstay of the fans, aren''t something they want to hear about.

But given how open to the media Webber seems, is there not a platform you could use to approach him with your questions? Because I''d really be interested to know what he''d come back with.

I would add  a few to Bethnal''s. We were told there would be a coach who knew British football/the English game. That idea, which seemed very sensible, appears to have been dropped. Has it, and if so why?Secondly, from the outside it looks as if Webber is in an even more powerful position in terms of the club''s hierarchy than was McNally. And it is widely believed - indeed the club afterwards hinted at this - that McNally was too powerful, with not enough of an oversight from the other directors, and that brought problems. Does Webber have carte blanche or are there ways of keeping him in check?Thirdly, although he may have touched on this in talking about finances, does he think the Norwich City model, with no mega-rich owner, is viable beyond the short-term, given how Smith and Jones are paupers in Championship terms, let alone when compared to Premier League clubs?

Yeah, I am probably in the minority of not wanting blokey chat about nicknames etc.

I''d love to be able to get in front of Webber and do an interview but as he has already done a couple of fan run websites I can''t see it happening again anytime soon.

He sounds a great guy to interview, he gives deep answers and comes across as pretty open. Michael Bailey got a lot out of him in a F1 Podcast - which wasn''t even suppose to be about football. I''d also recommend tracking down the Scout 7 podcast Webber was on in June - he talks really well about what a Sporting Director is about (it also includes former Norwich scout Steve Head).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would add  a few to Bethnal''s. We were told there would be a coach who knew British football/the English game. That idea, which seemed very sensible, appears to have been dropped. Has it, and if so why?Secondly, from the outside it looks as if Webber is in an even more powerful position in terms of the club''s hierarchy than was McNally. And it is widely believed - indeed the club afterwards hinted at this - that McNally was too powerful, with not enough of an oversight from the other directors, and that brought problems. Does Webber have carte blanche or are there ways of keeping him in check?Thirdly, although he may have touched on this in talking about finances, does he think the Norwich City model, with no mega-rich owner, is viable beyond the short-term, given how Smith and Jones are paupers in Championship terms, let alone when compared to Premier League clubs?[/quote]Is the difference in the roles that McNally was in charge of the financial & the football side of the business albeit that he wasn''t the sole arbiter of the football side (didn''t he work within ''Football Board'' structure that included him, the manager & others). Webber seems to be in charge of the football side but he is more powerful withing that sector of the business?

"I don''t really agree that it puts to bed the Howson stuff in that all the way through it has only been Webber''s side of the story we have heard so this interview provides nothing new in that sense."

Sorry JS, but nothing has prevented Jonny Howson from giving his side of the story and his silence probably enhances Webber''s version.

I never, ever like hearing of player power in any way shape or form whether it be refusing to train or causing disruption on a pre-season tour. These are exceptionally highly paid privileged individuals that life has for the most part been good to because they have a talent that most would aspire to. Refusing to train (ie: doing your lucrative job) is a full-blown kick in the teeth to each and every fan who invests his/her dreams, fantasies, time, trouble and hard earned money in support.

As for the mention of a "disruptive" influence on tour, I would sure like to know more about that. Who wouldn''t?

That apart, the "intensity" of the chat was surely dictated by time and place. With the club being on eve of a very crucial, nay sensitive season the heavy-handed, incisive stuff would have been a less favourable fayre than the genial, frank, optimistic preview that transpired. Plenty of time for investigative journalism in the ensuing months.

There was enough red meat for me. Constant controversy galls, but I''d still love to know who the ''disruptive one'' was.

With regard to the disruptive member of club staff on the preseason tour without doubt this anonymous person will be out of the door sharpish as Webber won''t stand for that behaviour nor will Daniel Farke....for sure.

Even Russell Martin has come out and said that Howson wanted to go as soon as we were relegated.Surprised to hear he refused to train but it does seem to be the case.

The fact Dean Kiely left and didn''t go straight into another job suggests who the disruptive person might be. Was poor though for no one to follow up Webber when he mentioned it - as he did so pretty much unprompted, which suggests he was happy to talk about it a bit more.

In fairness he was asked about the lack of British coaches, but gave the line he has done before which is ''it is an ongoing situation and the club will keep assessing whether it is needed or not''. Again, a follow up to what that actually means would have been nice.

BY

"They could do 15 mins of ''blokey chat'' (which I have zero interest in) and then get into the important stuff. They literally give him 2 mins to talk about transfers, Webber is really open about potentially signing 2 midfielders. Maybe they should have given him more time to talk about that rather than other, trivial stuff. "

I think you''re right Bethnal, I must confess I enjoyed the "blokey" chat as it was the first time I have really heard him speak, certainly at any length, and it gave a bit of an insight into his personality and style.

But yes, it could be seen as a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I get the impression that he is going to make himself available to the media, he''s certainly not reluctant to use it to get his message accross, hopefully there will be more insightful and probing interviews to come, assuming we have suitably able interviewers in the local media.

I don''t often disagree with Purple and Bethnal but do on this one.

The Scrimmage is a fun informal show and I thought that Chris asked all the right questions as the chat went on, also bringing some fun into it.

I thought the show was great, thought Stuart came over as honest, driven, confident and refreshing not sure what you two expected tbh.

Really love how just lately no less that 4 fans groups/blog sites have recently been given access to the likes of Stuart, Tom Smith and also our team captain.

Our club has opened all lines of communications with us fans, we are lucky, doesn''t happen anywhere else.

Out of interest Bethnal, did you come to our recent forum, you could have asked him your questions there or chatted to him at the end?

I couldn''t make the fans forum unfortunately, living in London and deadlines meant it wasn''t feasible.

I don''t think the questions I listed would actually be that suitable for that kind of situation though, for me fans forums should be the place for the lighthearted chat, while an interview on the BBC with professional journalists is more the situation for some questions with deeper meaning.

As I said I think the show could have been split between chit-chat and more serious talk. This is the longest anyone outside of the club has had to talk to Webber (the Along Come Norwich boys were given 15 mins), so to spend so long on unimportant topics was frustrating. Especially when Webber hinted at some big topics, and the interviewers just let them slip by.

The show was enjoyable, just not informative and they really should be aiming to deliver both - especially when they had him there for an hour.

I welcome Norwich''s new openness and hope someone else gets a chance with Webber, but he has mentioned in another interview that he doesn''t want to speak to the press too often in the future as his role should be seen as more behind the scenes - this might have been the last big opportunity going for a while.

http://info.scout7.com/en/blog/2017/6/15/scouting-for-recruitment/podcast-the-evolving-role-of-the-sport-director/

This interview with him is far more insightful, but took place in June so dated now.

I agree with Bethnal. The interview was clearly initiated by the club as SW wanted to get across to the fans the background stories of Howson, Dorrans and Jacob. He said as much. He admitted that the club would be hammered if the rruth did not come out and SW even indormed Howson that this would happen.

But after this insight the journos let the interview slip into jokey blokeishness and the chance to ask important questions was lost. Poor Archant journalism.

Hiwever it is very good to see that the club is embarking on an open communications policy and engaging the fans. Well done to whoever is behind this openess.