Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

My Ratings for the players

Gunn- 7- looked decent and no obvious mistakes.

Martin - 5 - left far too much space in first half and unlucky to concede own goal. Pinto please

Zimmerman- 8.5 really impressed me. Big unit. Committed and fit and good positional play. Great signing - surprised me

Franke- 8 - towering presence and played well.

Husband - 3 - skinned every time by opposition, lacked pace. Made almost no tackles but ok going forward. Improved second half but had a very poor game. Looks out of his depth

Reed- 8- tenacious player and looked good. Worked hard all afternoon - liked the look of him a lot

Vrancic- 6.5 - mixed bag. Worked hard but passing was a bit hit and miss. Think he found it a big step up and should improve - solid enough but a step down on Howson

Maddison- 6- was a bit lightweight and played too deep. Wes was so much better in the role when he came on.

Wildshcut- 8- harsh he was subbed. Had a great first half and looked a menace. So much better than last year!

Watkins - 6 - missed some sitters and otherwise anonymous

Jerome - 6.5 - worked hard as ever but no real threat from him today. Not his best shift

Wes- 9 - came on and changed the game with sublime passing and vision

Oliviera - 9 - we would have won if he had started.

Murphy - 6 - did little and was easily knocked off the ball.

Harsh on Vrancic I feel, he put himself about, made some could interceptions and kept Fulham busy.
Maddison I agree was disappointing, needs to look forwards more. 
Watkins forgot his shooting boots today.
All in all, 1st day of the season, completely new-look squad, at Fulham, I''m happy with a point.

Think Martin deserved a 6.5 - 7.

Franke a 7 - 7.5

Husband a 6 (poor bloke was playing against one of the best Right wingers in the league as a debut)

Wildschcut 6 ( forgot his shooting boots, if your going to give Watkins a 6 as well. Played his heart out and would deserve the 8 if any of his shots were not scuffed or daisy cutters )

Watkins (see Wildshut.. played pretty well couldn''t shoot)

Wes 7 ( 9 is just favouritism)

Interesting to read these from fans who I assume were there, thanks.

Dissapointed to see some of the comments about Husband, I thought he looked pretty good in the Brighton game but was probably not tested in the same way as he was today.

Overall it seems we have loads to work on but starting from a pretty good base.

How many out of ten are we giving the manager? Sounds as if he made the right player and tactical changes.

Interesting to read these from fans who I assume were there, thanks.

Dissapointed to see some of the comments about Husband, I thought he looked pretty good in the Brighton game but was probably not tested in the same way as he was today.

Overall it seems we have loads to work on but starting from a pretty good base.

How many out of ten are we giving the manager? Sounds as if he made the right player and tactical changes.

Canary Wundaboy wrote the following post at 2017-08-06 1:48 AM:

Harsh on Vrancic I feel, he put himself about, made some could interceptions and kept Fulham busy.

Maddison I agree was disappointing, needs to look forwards more.

Watkins forgot his shooting boots today.

All in all, 1st day of the season, completely new-look squad, at Fulham, I''m happy with a point.

Don''t think it''s harsh on Vrancic. He looked off the pace today compared to last weeks friendly, pretty much out of it last twenty minutes - was he carrying an injury? Or has the last few weeks and hard training regime caught up with him?

But have to agree, a great point and pleasing performance to watch in a great atmosphere apart from the London canary with the bald head and brown t shirt. Stick to eating your pies mate, and don''t berate those supporters from Norfolk who attend every week, they are entitled to their opinion. And learn to hold your drink! We will get better as the season progresses for sure.

Dean Coney''s boots ~ [quote]Vrancic- 6.5 - mixed bag. Worked hard but passing was a bit hit and miss. Think he found it a big step up and should improve - solid enough but a step down on Howson.[/quote]I think you''re remembering the attacking midfielder that is the Howson of the Lambert era before Hughton and then Neil ruined him by putting the former in a defensive role.As a box to box midfielder, who would also prove effective defensively as well as offensively, I believe Vrančić will succeed where Howson couldn''t.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Think Martin deserved a 6.5 - 7.

Franke a 7 - 7.5

Husband a 6 (poor bloke was playing against one of the best Right wingers in the league as a debut)

Wildschcut 6 ( forgot his shooting boots, if your going to give Watkins a 6 as well. Played his heart out and would deserve the 8 if any of his shots were not scuffed or daisy cutters )

Watkins (see Wildshut.. played pretty well couldn''t shoot)

Wes 7 ( 9 is just favouritism)[/quote]
Agree with these but would keep Wildschut at 8 and give Watkins a 7.
Yanic created 3 clear opportunities which was pleasing to see. Also brought the ball out and relieved pressure for us by running with it more than he ever did last season.

Don''t think anyone deserved less than a 6 today.Gunn - 7. Some smart saves. Acted as a sweeper at times, but also wasn''t scared to thump it long when it was necessary. Would love to see him decide he made a mistake with leaving for Man City, but that''s probably wishful thinking.Martin - 6.5. He was really unlucky with the own goal, but looked solid once we went to 4 at the back. I still maintain what I''ve always said that he''s a right back and not a center half.Zimmerman - 8.5. Some great last ditch blocks. Hopefully will build on this. Deffo MOM.Franke - 7.5. Looked very solid, but needed bailing out by Zimmerman a couple of times.Husband - 6.0. Looked far more assured in the 2nd half when he was able to concentrate mainly on his defensive duties.Reed - 7.0. Won a lot of the ball, but also gave away a lot of free-kicks. Good but room for improvement.Vrancic - 7.0. Crisp with his passing, great first touch and looked a threat. Final product needs to improve.Maddison - 6.5. Decent game, but don''t think he should have taken free-kick he put over the bar from 20 yards, Vrancic should have pulled rank. Encouraging performance from a young player though.Wildschut - 7.0. Great going forwards, and our best threat in first half. Poor finishing and at fault for Fulham''s goal stops me giving him 8+.Watkins - 6.5. Got himself in good positions and with a bit more composure in front of goal could/should have had a hat trick.Jerome - 6.0. Hardly offered anything apart from his work rate. There will be better from him this season without doubt.Murphy - 6.0. Tried to push forwards, but was often bullied. Although thought he should have won a couple of free-kicks that the ref decided not to give.Wes - 7.0. Great ball to the admiral for the goal, but with only 10 minutes not really sufficient time to have as big an impact as I would have liked.Nelson - 7.5. Superb composure for the goal and got far more involved than Cam. Needs to start against Sunderland.All in all a very good result and I think if we were playing anyone other than Fulham we would have probably ended up with 3 points.

No one was less than a 6 - a score I give most, there were a couple of 7s (Maddison second half, Gunn, Wes & Franke)

Only Zimmerman an 8, although Wes would probably have challenged him for MOTM had he got more than 15 mins. Game changer.

Felt a but sorry for Jerome, as the team are clearly drilled to keep passing the ball about and retain possession in deeper areas. Frustrating for a forward who''s looking to make runs in behind and chase 50:50s. Don''t remember him having a shot?

I think there are a lot of harsh feelings on here.
Husband can''t help having no pace but the poor devil wasn''t given too much support and didn''t know whether to stick or twist.
The midfield operated OK and you can judge them on friendlies all you want but when it matters such as Saturday and the opposition is as intense as you are, then it is a different matter. I think they did keep wunderkid Crainey pretty quiet and ineffective.
When we increased the pressure in the last 20 minutes to search for a goal rather than keeping possession to keep it away from the opposition, we dominated and I do think some of the criticism is unwarranted.
As a team I thought we did a very good job and that is a real competitive game played together for the first time.

I didn''t think my ratings were critical- pretty upbeat to be honest. And sorry but my personal opinion was that Husband really struggled and fell short of the required level. He was skinned almost every time and when he was needed went absent- Zimmerman saved his bacon on more than one occSion

Someone pointed out on another thread that when Wildshutt was struggling against the Fulham attack down our right hand side, Russ Martin came out to help him. Should it have been Franke that came out to help Husband, rather than Zimmerman? If so, maybe Franke needs some instruction on how to play in a back 3-though as someone else said, when Klose is fit he would probably be playing on the left side of the 3 and Franke would be in the right.

Really enjoyed the performance from most of the players to be honest, none below a 7 for me. All could be criticised too, of course, but given the result and the way we played our way back into the match, alll deserve at least 7 imo.  Husband was up against the quickest winger in the league and he won''t have a harder game all season in that respect.   My motm was Zimmerman. Strong and well timed tackles, no nonsense player with good technical ability.