Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

Wildschut V Husband

I thought Wildschut showed great promise today going forward, thing is he is an out and out wide player really. That means he competes for wingback roles for game time. For me, Pinto walks back into the right wing back role when fit, so what happens to Janic?

Early days for Husband but, correct me if I am wrong, wasn''t Wildschut bought primarily as a left sider and does anyone agree with me that if Janic continues with the same desire and ability to create chances, plus works on his defensive awareness, he could find a long term home at left wingback?

Wildschut is right footed, so playing in a left forward position suits him as he can cut inside to shoot. The whole inverted winger thing.

At wing-back it is probably better he stays on the right hand side, this will help him to defend against attacking players down the left, and he is less likely to cut inside when starting in a deeper position.

Stiepermann played some games as left wing back last season, and I presume he has been brought in to add competition to Husband, as well as cover a bunch of other positions.

I wasn''t impressed by Husband though...hope he gets his act together soon, otherwise we will be vulnerable on the left side

husband appeared to be continually outnumbered - there was no covering midfielder and too often was left 2 v 1 as fulham quickly exploited that space left by on of Reed, Vrancic or Maddison.

Also it wont be often that Husband face as much pace against him as he did on Sat, few teams possess Fulhams attacking options. For me there was enough from Husband to encourage, as well as have residual concerns.

I have still not seen anything to suggest that Wildschut is anything but an emergency wing back for us. Electric going forward, a fish out of water defending and suspect that will be the same on either flank; never shown an aptitude for it before and unreasonable to expect that to change in 6 weeks.

Husband was certainly better than Wildschut defensively, which isn''t a surprise and wasn''t awful going forward. Needed a bit more support from the midfield to help him against very good attackers.

Fulham are very strong on the wings and looked to overload both Wildschut and Husbands, it is the best way to attack a team using 3 at the back. Most of the danger came down the Fulham''s left as they looked to exploit an attacker drafted into a defensive role.

The system, and the positions, will take a little while for the players to adapt to, but hopefully they will become more comfortable with them from game to game. Unfortunately other teams will become smarter at exploiting weaknesses from game to game. If you were an opposing manager at the moment, you would look to attack Wildschut rather than Husband.

Was busy typing a reply, but basically... what ZLF said. Especially regarding Husband.

I didn''t think Wildschut looked totally lost though and did ok considering he was playing in what was until recently a very unfamiliar role for him against decent opposition. I cant see him being considered as anything other than an emergency/cover option at wing back though.

[quote user="Stone"]Was busy typing a reply, but basically... what ZLF said. Especially regarding Husband.

I didn''t think Wildschut looked totally lost though and did ok considering he was playing in what was until recently a very unfamiliar role for him against decent opposition. I cant see him being considered as anything other than an emergency/cover option at wing back though.[/quote]

Expensive player to have on the books if that''s all he ever amounts to. I''d like to see him come good. Not sure we play the system to best incorporate him though.

Wildschut''s ability to go past a defender with the ball could be huge for Norwich when facing teams happy to sit back and defend - especially at Carrow Road. Fulham away was far from ideal for him for a new first game in a new position but he was alright. Shame he was dribbled past for the goal, but Kebano will leave a lot of far better defenders looking foolish through-out the season.

Starting deeper really suits Wildschut, he has explosive pace and but being 5 - 10 yards deeper he gets more opportunity to use it, and is receiving the ball while facing the opposition more rather than with his back to goal. His delivery was also much better than last season (he produced 4 "key passes" in 36 mins, the same amount he produced in all his appearances for Norwich last season) and was unlucky not to register at least one assist.

Once the formation changed to a 4-1-4-1 he became slightly less effective in the game, hence the change for Murphy. From being someone the club were looking to sell he has worked himself into Farke''s plans, and that shows a real drive to succeed. Even if he loses his place to Pinto, he could be a fantastic option from the bench.

Some valid points guys, I didn''t want to sound too negative about Hubs... but he didn''t match the Foolham wingers...

Defensively Wildschut was worse han Hubs , but he''s just filling in for Pinto...Hubs is our first choice leftback

A couple of those 4 key passes really were served up ona plate for the late arriving midfielders; he should have had at least 1 assist to his name but didnt through no fault of his. If he can continue with that explosive pace and delivery he will be an enormous attacking asset - and all for a couple of million. I am sure we will see lots of him from an attacking perspective.

I am with Flecky here. Thought Husband looked horribly out of his depth. He stood out as the weak link on the park and Fulham picked up on it and started exploiting him until we changed tactic. Protected he looked a little better but I still wasn''t very impressed.

Put it this way a MASSIVE step down from Olson and Dijks and, for me, I think another LB first choice should be top of the shopping list. Because we looked pretty good at times....

With regard to Husband, I''m hoping it just a case of settling in and game time.

He''s been very highly rated in the past, & played well for both Huddersfield and Fulham at championship level. He didn''t get much game time at Boro and that''s obviously halted his development.

He''s only 23, and played over 100 senior appearances, despite his lack of game time in the last year.

Although I will admit, it is a little concerning the level in which he looks out his depth.

I''m sure he''ll come good. He just needs games.

Husband won''t have a harder winger to face all season, so will hopefully look better and more confident as time goes on.  Wildschut looks strong and if he finds and keeps his form, he may be a real gem and it looks as if the style we will be playing suits him. 

Ivo Pinto had problems keeping up in his first two games in a yellow shirt. It will take the new guys a couple of games to get up to speed. There''s a lot more good stuff to come.

We seem to be mentally stronger too. It takes courage to keep shape when you''re one nil down and just a few minutes to go.

Stiepermann is left footed, and it sounds like he can operate anywhere on that left side. In a 4-1-4-1, he could protect Husband and might be the wingback in the 3-4-3.

When fully fit, our squad much more balanced with lots of left footed players;

Gunn

Pinto Franke Zimmerman Husband

Reed

Wildschut Vrancic Maddison Stiepermann

Oliveira

Gunn

Franke Zimmermann Klose

Pinto Reed Vrancic Stiepermann

Watkins Oliveira Naismith

So many options going forward. I haven''t even included Murphy, Tettey, Martin, Pritchard, Trybull or Jerome in either team.