Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Squad Numbers

1 Angus Gunn2 Ivo Pinto3 James Husband 4 Harrison Reed5 Russell Martin6 Christoph Zimmermann 7 Steven Naismith 8 Mario Vrancic 9 Nelson Oliveira 10 Cameron Jerome 11 Josh Murphy12 Marley Watkins 13 Paul Jones14 Wes Hoolahan 15 Timm Klose 16 Matt Jarvis 17 Yanic Wildschut 21 Alex Pritchard 22 Ben Godfrey 23 James Maddison 24 Harry Toffolo 26 Jamal Lewis 27 Alex Tettey 28 Marcel Franke 29 Remi Matthews 33 Michael McGovern 34 Louis Thompson

Hope 21 isn''t filled in the window, as that''s Pritchard.

18,19 & 20 are the free ones.

😋😋👍👍👍

Not many u23 there so congrats to the talented duo of Godfrey & Lewis (esp with the latters contract announcement, impressing well). Guess we can add them as we go through the season

It is interesting those 3 numbers have been left vacant. Hopefully a sign that we''re after a few more additions yet.

Really chuffed for Lewis, he''s done well in preseason so it''s well earned.

not convinced we will go for a striker, assuming jerome and oliveira are kept as I can see both Watkins and Josh covering that area.

If not who would we go for; the first 2 are good so getting in a third choice may be hard, so a upcoming youngster to buy or on loan (Abrahams?) seems most likely.

I see Omar Bogle is out of favour at Wigan (training with the u18s) though after a successful Aug-Jan with Grimsby. What other options are out there?

27 names there, including Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis, so in effect a 25  man squad, no disrespect to both those guys, but we know why they are unlikely to feature this season. Also includes 4 GKs, so that leaves 21 guys for the other 10 spots on the field. Maybe scope for 1 or 2 more to come in, but unless any more sold, doubt the squad will be added to very much more.

I see abrahams is likely to be concluded today but sent straight back to Orient on loan - would probably have preferred a league two loan but plenty of progressive youth waiting in the wings now.

I thought Adam Philips would have been given a squad number??

He''s come here with positive reviews and I was excited to see him play!! Hey ho maybe next year.

Anyone know why he''s not been given a number?

I don''t think this is of any great importance.It is neither like the PL where you have to announce your 25 man squad, or before where there were 12 numbers and you simply wore the shirt if you were in the team or not.Is Maddison really 23rd in the pecking order ? A concern is do we really need 4 keepers? Two for match days and one (two) with a 24 hour recall

[quote user="Essjayess"]27 names there, including Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis, so in effect a 25  man squad, no disrespect to both those guys, but we know why they are unlikely to feature this season. Also includes 4 GKs, so that leaves 21 guys for the other 10 spots on the field. Maybe scope for 1 or 2 more to come in, but unless any more sold, doubt the squad will be added to very much more.[/quote]
I make that 31 names minus Jarvis/Thompson leaves 29, take out 2 of the 4 goalies, who wont be used, so leaves 27 man squad or am I missing something?

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="Essjayess"]27 names there, including Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis, so in effect a 25  man squad, no disrespect to both those guys, but we know why they are unlikely to feature this season. Also includes 4 GKs, so that leaves 21 guys for the other 10 spots on the field. Maybe scope for 1 or 2 more to come in, but unless any more sold, doubt the squad will be added to very much more.[/quote]
I make that 31 names minus Jarvis/Thompson leaves 29, take out 2 of the 4 goalies, who wont be used, so leaves 27 man squad or am I missing something?
[/quote]Yes Diane, you are missing numbers 18, 19, 20, 25, 30, 31, 32. Simple deduction ;)

Some interesting comments from Webber on altering the make-up of the squad:“Both Daniel and I believe we need a squad where every player feels they

are close to playing,” said Webber. “If you are number 22 to 26 in the

pecking order of outfield players then you are so far away from even the

bench. How de-motivating must that be and draining for those lads

coming to training? I felt that as an outsider looking at it last

season. If you have a tight-knit group, like we have now, they all feel

they have a chance of playing. I think it looks a lot healthier in terms

of size and balance although we know it is far from perfect."So far, in terms purely of size (and there may be at least one more player coming in?), a cut but not a vast difference. I make it that we have offloaded 12, plus sending Morris on loan, and brought in 11, albeit with Abrahams being loaned back and Phillips possibly earmarked for the U23s. I imagine Webber feels, though, that the balance is better, and certainly the wage bill and the age bill have been reduced.