Sign in to follow this  
paddycanary

Job done

Through to the next round but an unconvincing performance & lots of question marks. Remains to be seen if Zimmermann is up to the standard required and the same could be said for Husband. I''m not sure the issues around our defence have been addressed. I''d like to see a few million spent on another centre-back. Nobody is expecting miracles and of course it will take time for this squad to gel. Hopefully the business with Nelson will be put to bed this week and we see a good performance against Sunderland. Well done to the lads - job done but most definitely a work in progress.

We attacked well apart from the usual Norwich trait of trying to walk the ball in the net!

Defensively we have to concentrate better!

I thought Zimmerman was the more convincing of the two big German CB''s!

Overall job done, but still much to work on and lets give Swindon they were decent and on the night probably no worse than a bottom 4 Championship side!

So it looks like we definitely need a better or more central defensive midfielders.

Early concern? The only early concerns as far as I''m concerned are some posters on here. I was hoping the Webber/Farke era would really help them develop a proper sense of perspective, but I guess I should have known better .......... [;)]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Early concern? The only early concerns as far as I''m concerned are some posters on here. I was hoping the Webber/Farke era would really help them develop a proper sense of perspective, but I guess I should have known better .......... [;)][/quote]
Yes, I''m not sure where people''s heads are at currently, WestCoast.
We''ve completely ripped up the entire footballing structure pre-season
We''ve completely changed the coaching and management
We''ve completely changed our style of play and philosophies
We''ve bought about 9 players with (so far) up to 7 of them in the starting line-up
Many of those players haven''t even played in English football before.
Yet people are concerned we''re not a finished product 2 games (1 league game) into the season? What were people actually expecting?!

Sometimes I wonder that the local rag journos don''t help cultivate this mindset some folks have.

This morning the EDP ran ''Player Watch'' on Vrancic and the concluding paragraph was "does not look strong enough for the battle, oddly, for a man who was playing in the Bundesliga last season. Must up his game – and quickly."

The guys played one league game so far. How can you judge him on that? Bailey''s been particularly negative on the match feeds lately too. Im not rainbows and lollipops but crying out loud, patience. If the EDP exuded this sentiment, instead of release crap about players having to perform at 100% quickly then this realistic expectation might filter down to some of the fans ffs!

Let''s give things a bit of time. These guys have had a steady pre-season and then suddenly 2 high-tempo games in the space of 3 days. There''s obviously going to be sign of rustiness, especially given our last ditch exploits at Fulham to get a point.

Maddison was great to see taking his chance, but the biggest difference for me was Wes. Clearly makes us tick more than any other midfielder. Also good to see Pinto return.

Things will take time to gel, that''s only natural when you''ve got completely new staff

I thought the 1st half was excellent from 10mins - 45mins. And then once 3-1 up we became complacent and weren''t executing those killer forward passes as much in the final third.

Husband worried me from the first two games. He was meant to be an attacking fullback but I haven''t seen any pace to suggest he likes to bomb forward and his defending looks suspect too. Far too many times is he being beaten. That said, our formations mean we aren''t protecting our fullbacks in wide midfield areas so they can often be doubled up when defending.

Vrancic had an off night but there''s plenty of good bits to see, he has good technique and likes a forward pass.

Zimmermann took a while to adjust I thought but got stronger as the game went on. He did after all have the tallest man on the pitch to deal with in their main target man. Not often will there be a 6ft 5+ striker against him.

Maddison... well what a revelation he is in that deeper role?! From the little already we''ve seen, he won''t be at Norwich much longer... nobody can get anywhere near the guy when he''s on the ball and has two fantastic feet to distribute passes all over the pitch. He is certainly a star for the future. I''d expect prem sides to take note this season.

The great positive for me is that we still have one of the best championship players in Pritchard to come back and join in with the attacking passing game and also Klose to challenge the 2 or join a back 3 in a system that should suit him far more.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]Early concern? The only early concerns as far as I''m concerned are some posters on here. I was hoping the Webber/Farke era would really help them develop a proper sense of perspective, but I guess I should have known better .......... [;)][/quote]
Yes, I''m not sure where people''s heads are at currently, WestCoast.
We''ve completely ripped up the entire footballing structure pre-season
We''ve completely changed the coaching and management
We''ve completely changed our style of play and philosophies
We''ve bought about 9 players with (so far) up to 7 of them in the starting line-up
Many of those players haven''t even played in English football before.
Yet people are concerned we''re not a finished product 2 games (1 league game) into the season? What were people actually expecting?!
[/quote]

There is a balance though and whilst nobody is expecting the finished product people are perfectly entitled to comment on progress or areas that appear to be weaknesses.

Personally I am unconvinced defensively by all of our fullbacks (mush as I like Pinto he''s always been dodgy defensively) although I''ve not seen Lewis play yet. I would like to see at least one more full back brought in and i''m not convinced Reed is big/physical enough to play the DM role against some of the more physical teams we might encounter.

Agree with AJ, Westcoast and Hogesar on his one. Farke has pointed out the errors and even was very specific and spoke of looking to solve. People cannot expect we will suddenly stop conceding goals, even the best do. Its the overall balance, style of play and full team integration in approach that will produce results and surely there are many signs of this already. We competed well against a top team at the weekend and we are still in the cup. If we are going to complain then let''s at least wait for 10 to 12 games to see where we are and how we have performed. Farke and his new team need some time.

Im concerned with signing so many players from abroad. If they don''t adjust we''re stuffed. Trybull, Steipermann... surlely theres some cash for more proven championship players who don''t require a transition period.

Very early days... but Vrancic looks far too casual for this league. And at 28, he''s not exactly going to change his style much now.

[quote user="lincoln canary and Golden Coppel"]Im concerned with signing so many players from abroad. If they don''t adjust we''re stuffed. Trybull, Steipermann... surlely theres some cash for more proven championship players who don''t require a transition period.

Very early days... but Vrancic looks far too casual for this league. And at 28, he''s not exactly going to change his style much now.[/quote]Why is the players from abroad who have to adjust? Our home grown players have just as much adjusting to do. It is no good bringing in "proven Championship players" who are just used to playing English Championship football. Vrancic will get used to the pace of the league, but he also needs those around him to get used to how he plays. What may seem casual to you can just as often be a case of not being read by a team mate -- example would be Vrancic-Husband on occasion last night.