Sign in to follow this  
YGB

safri

the new roy keane? amazed me yesterday what a performance what a signing for 500k thats why worthington has to stay shrewed signings like that! Everything about him was excellent yesterday positioning tackling passing covering and was unlucky not to score my tip for player of the season already best midfielder in the league. MOROCCAN ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

[quote]is he better than Idiakez?[/quote]

Safri has been the one true star for us this season - pure class and I dread to think how our midfield will perform without him once suspended or off to africa...

Is he better than idiakez?  As totally different type of player - Safri is far more defencive but uses the ball superbly just has not got the legs to move up and down the pitch as much as I owuld like, Idiakez would be his perfect partner, prepared to tackle but more aggressive in the last third of the pitch.. 

Oh for idiakez instead of jarret, hughes or marney....

OTBC 

The trouble is, Ramadan must start soon.  I just hope Saf can play through this.  He didn''t last year.  Of course his religion comes before anything, that goes without saying.  But he will be sorely missed.  We''re going to have to strengthen the midfield in January too because of the African Cup

Worthy will not play Safri during Ramadan. Fortunately there''s a fortnight break due to internationals during Ramadan (Oct 4 - Nov 3) so he should be back for Luton at home. Wolves away on Nov 5 may be too soon.

All good points.

He has played well this year but we need to ensure potentially our most creative player doesn''t spend his time mopping up in front of the back four.  He needs to create in a forward direction - which is why it was so great to see him get in the box twice on Sunday.

He doesn''t have to bomb forward but the odd late entry into the box is what goals from midfield are all about.

I will close my ears to all Andy Hughes criticism.  9 points from 6 games with him in the team (including Watford!) and no wins from three without him (including Southampton where he limped off very early).  He isn''t a galactico but we wanted a leader and a presence in midfield.  If the midfield two/three make enough tackles we have enough dangerous players going forward.

We always knew in this league that if we match most of the teams for aggression and energy (god, I sound like Worthy) then player for player we are better than most if not all out there.

[quote]Worthy will not play Safri during Ramadan. Fortunately there''s a fortnight break due to internationals during Ramadan (Oct 4 - Nov 3) so he should be back for Luton at home. Wolves away on Nov 5 may b...[/quote]

You may be right about safri not playing during ramadan Pete, but my suspicion is that he will start in all games during that period and wont be dropped.  (probablymore out of fear for our midfield than anything else)

My (admittedly cynical) view is that ramadan was an excuse last season to stick with his prefered line up. 

Time will tell. 

OTBC

Hopefully by the time Ramadan comes along we might be able to see a bit more of Jason Jarrett, if he ever gets another look in that is. What''s the deal with him, is he not match fit, or just not being selected?

[quote]You may be right about safri not playing during ramadan Pete, but my suspicion is that he will start in all games during that period and wont be dropped. (probablymore out of fear for our midfield th...[/quote]

Hi Zipper

I was at an informal fans forum with Pete a few weeks ago at the Fat Cat. In attendance was Neil Doncaster and I specifically asked him about playing Saffers during Ramadam. He replied "we will not be playing Youssef through Ramadam as it''s not fair on the player, this is a club decision" or something like that. So he will miss Millwall, Luton, QPR, Sheff Weds, and Cardiff and as Pete says probably Wolves as well, plus the next round of the cup if we go through.

I would love the club to do a u turn as he will be sorely missed, it''s not just the eating, it''s all about liquid intake as well, so he maybe able to play in the evening games as he did last season against Newcastle in the Carling Cup. He has said in an interview when he played for Coventry (when he never missed a game) that he can play but it makes him very weak.

[quote]Hi Zipper I was at an informal fans forum with Pete a few weeks ago at the Fat Cat. In attendance was Neil Doncaster and I specifically asked him about playing Saffers during Ramadam. He replied "we ...[/quote]

fair does meeky - if that is the approach then fair dos; but I am surprised that other clubs and players are not more noticably absent during this period too.

It does highlight the paucity of our midfield choices though and 6 games in that period could have a significant bearing on where we end up this season.  An injury to Andy Hughes over the next couple of games would be disasterous - not something I want to think about and I dont even rate the bloke!

OTBC

When it comes to Ramadan, some Muslims adhere to the rules more strictly than others. Some will drink water through the day, but the more strict will not. I guess Safri falls in to the more strict camp, and if he isn''t taking liquids on he shouldn''t play. Maybe other Muslims who play during Ramadan aren''t so strict and do drink water.

Worthy says he is looking for more loans, we have to have more cover for Safri as we will miss him. We can''t rely on Rossi Jarvis, as 1. he is very young and 2. he is actualy a left back!

When it comes to Ramadan, some Muslims adhere to the rules more strictly than others. Some will drink water through the day, but the more strict will not. I guess Safri falls in to the more strict camp, and if he isn''t taking liquids on he shouldn''t play. Maybe other Muslims who play during Ramadan aren''t so strict and do drink water.

Worthy says he is looking for more loans, we have to have more cover for Safri as we will miss him. We can''t rely on Rossi Jarvis, as 1. he is very young and 2. he is actually a left back!