Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Gate

At 13, 166 the gate at Carrow Road was the highest of the night for this cup competition.

At nearly 1, 500 more than second highest Hillsborough it also trounced the gate for the Wolves home game.

The support at Carrow Road remains phenomenal, long may it continue.

I assume that, unlike in the league, gate receipts are shared between the two sides in cup ties. It wasn''t a disaster for Swindon then and, with overheads deducted before the share out, a few extra bob must have made their way into the City coffers.

Looking at the spectator appeal overall last night I am left questioning the validity of this competition. Cash strapped sides in the lower leagues who had to travel must have lost out heavily, although I suppose there is some share out from the Football League each round.

A mini bump here.

At £8 per head for car parking at County Hall the local council must have profited more than a lot of smaller clubs last night (smiley.)

Last night''s attendance will likely outstrip many of those at Portman Road this season (smiley.)

If we draw ITFC at home in the next round (any of the two seeded?) there will be a full house and the binners will then profit enough to splash out for another £50, 000 striker (smiley.)

With us winning everybody ends up happy?

I was surprised by the size the crowd last night, the atmosphere in the Barclay was very good and the snakepit conspicuous by its absence

Nothing New

The all dancing all singing Snake Pit had around a couple of dozen supporters.

Real true supporters

Great to see all round, and it must be good for the players too.

As long as the club keeps the prices down, people will go to these games. I know a lot of supporters who wait for cup games to come around to take the kids/family who don''t go to league games. Especially on summer holidays, it''s a good evenings entertainment for not a lot of money.

Totally agree AJ, good opportunity for people who are unable to get tickets to attend matches at a reasonable price as you say.

Also gives season ticket holders a chance to sit in other stands for a change.

Win win in my book.

DDD In The Fine City wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 9:27 AM:

Season ticket holders in the snakepit generally sit elsewhere for cup games, why have a sodding great pillar in your way when you can sit on half way

👍

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]A mini bump here.

At £8 per head for car parking at County Hall the local council must have profited more than a lot of smaller clubs last night (smiley.) [/quote]Correct me if i am wrong but don''t NCFC lease that car park from Norfolk CC on matchdays so the £8 is surely set by the club ?

£8 is far too expensive, guess its ok if there are 3/4 of you in the car to share the cost but there are plenty of cheaper places

Leeds have usurped us with the best gate of the round at nearly 14, 500.

What a good reflection on our club and support that we managed a gate of over 13, 500 for a mid-week game in an un-fancied competition against a lower league side and come just behind highly populated Leeds in our attendance for the night.

Let''s hope that we will be in a position to increase the capacity of Carrow Road by that few thousand sooner rather than later.

The virtual sell-out scenario has become a "Norwich thing," way above the provisions of the catchment and we have this continuous problem that a little bit of success on the pitch leaves many would be spectators disappointed and the club short of potential match-day revenue.

Actually just "over 13, 000."

£8 to park a car for a couple of hours is a rip-off, whoever pockets it. A West End parking meter would be less expensive.

What next? A congestion charge around the ground?

This sort of thing discourages support in the long run, reeks of extortion and is a bad reflection upon whoever set this monstrous fee.

Broadstairs, the catchment thing is a red herring. Norfolk and Waveney have a combined population of over 1 million. Yorkshire has a population of over 5 million but has 10 (i think...) league clubs and some well supported non-league clubs all vying for the same audience.

Yes, but Leeds it''s self ranks second in the country with a population of 780, 000.

(Wiki.)

I realise that we do benefit from having no competition within forty odd miles but I feel that, relatively speaking, our support is outstanding.

Leeds is one of the few big cities in the UK with only one team. Both Doncaster and McNally stated that demand was there for 35k per week at CR and Webber has come out recently and stated he didn`t realise the clubs potential until he got here. We are seriously under-achieving crowd wise given our catchment and potential. How we increase the ground to fulfill that potential in a practical and cost-effective way is another matter entirely!

Another example- South Yorkshire, population 1.3m. Two big Sheffield clubs plus Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley. Look at most big conurbations you will see a similar pattern, not to mention much more competition from other sports and leisure pursuits.

Slightly off subject, but interesting non the less, I remember coming across quite a detailed survey from a few years back which investigated the world wide support of English football clubs.

I have tried to recover it a few times since.

It surprised me, to the extent that I hardly believed it, just how high we were in this list (mid-teens I seem to recall) and I particularly noted that were even placed higher than the likes of West Ham who in a recent and similar survey of last season''s PL clubs registered 6.5 million.

I''m left wondering how this came about, not least how they arrive at their figures.

was the 35k gate on the assumption we were in the prem?

would we get that in a champ season?