Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Mick Dennis on MFW - Good Read

It''s a great read and I really enjoyed it, save for the petty digs at Butler, which add nothing to the original story... shame really as I thought Mick was above such childish antics.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Even if you agree/disagree with him.http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2017/08/09/the-reaction-of-the-rival-sets-of-fans-to-the-table-of-diners-at-the-crabtree-told-the-story/*gets popcorn*

[/quote]There is one bit that doesn''t seem right, or perhaps is just badly worded:It was Delia, in particular, who was determined that there should be a

complete reorganisation of the club’s structure after Jez Moxey was

given his P45. Steve Stone...had showed he

could lead the business side of the club with aplomb but admitted he had

limited experience of football.

Thus the idea of splitting the business and the football into separate “silos” was born.
The decision to have that split was made then, but the idea had been around at Carrow Road long beforehand. Damien Comolli, who was at Liverpool when Webber was there, says he told Balls (who was already investigating a shake-up/re-organisation) back in early 2016 that having a sporting director was the way to go:“Ed Balls asked me the same question around 12 months ago and I said, ‘Ed, as long as you don’t have a different structure in your football club, you will struggle. You need to have a sporting director who’s going to build your culture and implement values which can be maintained. As long as you don’t have that, you won’t be able to sustain success.’And my understanding is that in the wake of what Comolli - and possibly others - had said the club very nearly went down that path when McNally left. So when Moxey departed, especially with Stone by now trusted to cope simply with the non-football stuff, it must have seemed like an obvious decision..

Mick Dennis thinks the sun shines out of Delia backside and will never hear a bad word said against her or the football club!

He is the ultimate wearer of green and yellow spectacles

To be fair to him he doesn''t claim to be objective when Delia wants to get a positive PR message out she goes to her pet Minister of Information to get the message out

Nothing wrong with that you just need to take his opinions and motives with a pinch of salt

Don''t you think it''s a good thing that our owners and board members are seen with supporters and easily accessible then ?

Baldyboy wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 4:02 PM:

Mick Dennis thinks the sun shines out of Delia backside and will never hear a bad word said against her or the football club!

We wouldn''t ever have any posters think that would we? 😋

In case this gets missed, amid the anti-Dennis comments:Seeing Delia, Michael and the rest was no big deal for Norwich

supporters. They are used to the idea that their club’s decision-makers

join them in pubs before or after games several times a season. Many of

them know how much the heads of the City hierarchy have taken the

admirable Norwich City Fans Social Club
to their hearts. Delia was

cajoled into playing a game of Giant Jenga at one NCFSC gathering, Tom

and his wife, Alice, are regulars at NCFSC quiz nights. Stuart and Steve

— the newish key personnel at our club — have been to an informal NCFSC

night and taken part in a discussion forum at another NCFSC event.

The piece is biased, of course it is - and Purple has pointed out the relevant points - but it is an affectionate bias, something which I and I suspect many people will understand and appreciate.  It may not have been entirely down to Delia to bring about the restructuring - but it is patently obvious CR is a much happier camp with the heirachy that is in place now - and Ed balls and co are all singing (apparently) from pretty much the same hymn sheet. - a team effort from a board that is steeped in NCFC through and through.  The fact that they are accessible to fans too is just part of the same thing. A true family club. Some people plainly don''t rate that as important, but the truth is that the one thing that our club has always shone as, is as a proper community club with no messing.  It''s not perfect, it never could be, but it it one of the best if not the best clubs in the country because of that - and it is getting better at it. 

A goodish article the general theme of which is valid.

Whenever you read something like this you have to remember who the author is and maybe disregard some of the embellishment.

Bit surprised by the remarks about Butler.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Baldyboy wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 4:02 PM:

We wouldn''t ever have any posters think that would we? 😋[/quote]
Mick makes a good point about how approachable the owners are for the ordinary fans. I doubt the keyboard kates have the bottle or the gumption to approach her mind. Unless they''re hidden behind others. Leopards and spots....

[quote user="lake district canary"]The piece is biased, of course it is - and Purple has pointed out the relevant points - but it is an affectionate bias, something which I and I suspect many people will understand and appreciate.  It may not have been entirely down to Delia to bring about the restructuring - but it is patently obvious CR is a much happier camp with the heirachy that is in place now - and Ed balls and co are all singing (apparently) from pretty much the same hymn sheet. - a team effort from a board that is steeped in NCFC through and through.  The fact that they are accessible to fans too is just part of the same thing. A true family club. Some people plainly don''t rate that as important, but the truth is that the one thing that our club has always shone as, is as a proper community club with no messing.  It''s not perfect, it never could be, but it it one of the best if not the best clubs in the country because of that - and it is getting better at it. 

[/quote]
I think you''ve got it spot on LDC, its an affectionate piece which most will appreciate & just drives home how lucky we are to have such accessibility to the people who run our club. I''m sure it doesn''t happen anywhere else!

Captain Birdseye wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 4:25 PM:

To be fair to him he doesn''t claim to be objective when Delia wants to get a positive PR message out she goes to her pet Minister of Information to get the message out

Nothing wrong with that you just need to take his opinions and motives with a pinch of salt

👍

[quote user="Van wink"]Captain Birdseye wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 4:25 PM:

👍[/quote]That''s journalists the world over.

Joe Ferrari, the Head of Communications, who definitely bleeds yellow

and green, set about opening new channels with fans groups and blog

sites and everywhere you looked you could see a coming together, a

repairing of the Norwich City community.Merely putting right what he helped undo under Mcnally. During the days of the SCG Joe Ferrari had no time for supporters consultation or supporters groups and following the demise of Munby and Doomcaster he wasted no time in helping McNally distance fans groups from involvement with the club.

Doesn''t matter whats happened in the past Tilly, we''re not obsessed with history, all that matters is the now and as LDC said that''s looking good as far as club/fans relationships is concerned.

Can''t speak too highly of Joe Ferrari and Gemma Gifford our media team, without them the past year our fans social club wouldn''t have achieved what we have, they''ve been brilliant and very supportive.

Diane believe me when i say if you had started your wonderful NCFSC during the McNally era you would have got zilch response from Joe Ferrari to e-mails or phone calls for weeks and months on end. Yes things have changed dramatically for the better and long may it continue but i have a long memory together with numerous other people who were around in those days representing various fans groups and i read the article with a wry smile on my face at what Mick Dennis had written concerning Joe.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Diane believe me when i say if you had started your wonderful NCFSC during the McNally era you would have got zilch response from Joe Ferrari to e-mails or phone calls for weeks and months on end. Yes things have changed dramatically for the better and long may it continue but i have a long memory together with numerous other people who were around in those days representing various fans groups and i read the article with a wry smile on my face at what Mick Dennis had written concerning Joe.[/quote]

I''m not pretending to know anything, far from it,  but sometimes, when a company is being led in a control freak type way, the staff are stifled or discouraged from acting on their own initiative, knowing that anything they do will be frowned upon or knocked back and it is better to keep quiet than rock the boat.   Would you agree that McNally ruled with a firm hand even to the extent of being too controlling?  That could account for a lack of communication from Joe Ferrari - and could equally account for the refreshing changes now being seen.   No more heavy handed Chief Execs, a softening of approach and a progressive football club - a breath of fresh air that could enthuse even the most cynical or dis-illusioned of staff.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Diane believe me when i say if you had started your wonderful NCFSC during the McNally era you would have got zilch response from Joe Ferrari to e-mails or phone calls for weeks and months on end. Yes things have changed dramatically for the better and long may it continue but i have a long memory together with numerous other people who were around in those days representing various fans groups and i read the article with a wry smile on my face at what Mick Dennis had written concerning Joe.[/quote]

But it did start during the McNally era, didn''t it?

Pretty sure he was fairly integral early doors and seem to remember him being on a quiz team?

To be fair, I have slept in the interim so could be way off the mark but I''m pretty sure DM was very receptive. Apologies if I''ve invented this, it''s just what I remember - or think I do!!!😂

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]To be fair, I have slept in the interim so could be way off the mark but I''m pretty sure DM was very receptive. Apologies if I''ve invented this, it''s just what I remember - or think I do!!!😂[/quote]
You''re right Duncan, was just about to reply to Tilly but you beat me to it [:)]
Tilly, the fans social club was started in David McNally''s era, I emailed him with the idea initially around Jan 2015, . He then set up a meeting for me with Joe Ferrari, Danny Casey & Ben Kensell who thought it was a good idea and  they gave me the support to get it off the ground ( we launched July 2015) 
David has been brilliant with us/me from Day 1 and still keeps in touch, he''s really pleased with what we''ve achieved so far.

I suspect that the diferent responses to different supporters groups may have somehting to do with the attitudes and behaviour of the people running the supporters groups. The latest incarnation comes across as pleasant, supportive and constructive.

This Mick Dennis article is a dramatic mea culpa, dressed up as a fairy tail in which Delia is the heroine. And once again Til1010''s inside info reveals the truth of the situation!

Hi purple,As an aside, I always read your posts with interest. Your grasp of the finances is often enlightening.On this matter:Of course it''s true that the idea of a director of football or a sporting director has been around a long time. Other clubs have been going down that route for a very long time, and

some have given up and returned to the all-powerful chief exec model. I don''t know of Comolli''s conversation with Ed Balls, but clearly at that stage Balls and Co discounted the advice.  It was the departure of Moxey, so soon after the head-hunting process  — together with the admiration by then of Steve Stone and feedback from senior staff — that persuaded most (although not all) of the board that the club should be rearranged into two "silos". I am happy to concede that the idea wasn''t, strictly speaking, born then; perhaps you''ll accept ''nutured and allowed to mature''.It might, indeed, seem obvious with hindsight, but it was such a dramatic change that there were some who were wary. Delia made up her mind though, went against her usual policy of seeking unanimous consent, and said, "This is what we''re doing".The point of my MFW piece was merely that, having seen how the relationship between Stone and Webber (and their "silos") has developed, and watching a happy hierachy interacting with fans, I felt bouyed and wanted to pass that on.On the MFW site, some have commented that they''d rather have success on the field than approachable, open heads of the organisation. But it''s not an either/or.

[quote user="Len"]This Mick Dennis article is a dramatic mea culpa, dressed up as a fairy tail in which Delia is the heroine. And once again Til1010''s inside info reveals the truth of the situation![/quote]Or could it be that TIL1010 is the common factor in these problematic situations and defunct supporters organisations?