Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

The friendly cup

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]Is there an actual trophy and if there is do we get to put a tin pot gold star on our jersey like that lot down the 140?[/quote]Yes, there is a trophy - a real one called the Milk Cup, nicknamed "The Friendly Cup" in 1985.  In the troubled times football was going through then, the friendly side of it is something fans from both sides who were there, will never forget. 

Do they get to put a brown star on the back of their shorts for being the longest serving club in the 2nd tier? Make it loud and proud for the whole world to see where Fisions fertiliser really comes from

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]Is there an actual trophy and if there is do we get to put a tin pot gold star on our jersey like that lot down the 140?[/quote]It''s called The Friendship Trophy, only a plastic or someone suffering from scampi withdrawl would get it wrong.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Friendship Trophy is a football match, contested on an irregular basis by just two teams: Norwich City and Sunderland.[1] The match dates back to the camaraderie forged between fans of the two clubs at the time of the 1985 Football League Cup Final that they contested. Norwich City won the 1985 Football League Cup Final, however at the end of the First Division Season, both teams were relegated to the Second Division.[2]

Nowadays, the Friendship Trophy is awarded to the winning team in

competitive matches between the two sides, and as such, Sunderland are

the current holders of the trophy, having beaten Norwich 3-0 at Carrow Road on 16 April 2016 in the Premier League.[3] This trophy is only infrequently contested, as it requires both Norwich City and Sunderland to be in the same division, or to be drawn together in a cup competition, which last happened in 2009, when Sunderland beat Norwich City 4–1 in the Carling Cup.[4] In 2013, Talksport named The Friendship Trophy one of football''s most pointless awards

"In 2013, Talksport named The Friendship Trophy one of football''s most pointless awards"How appropriate coming from one of radio''s most pointless stations.Apples

Why is a young Ian Paisley in the team photo? I''ve never seen him listed as one of our celebrity supporters.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Here you go...

[/quote]Gunn, Ian Paisley, ?, ?, Doug Ellis, R Rosario, Buttterworth, Phillips, ? Crook, Culverhouse.Front@ Gordon, ?.Can the clever people identify the ?''s (and correct any mistakes).

Back row John Polston & Mark Bowen.Front row Lee Power.Ian Paisley is the late Norman Potter of Pointer Motor Company which was on Aylsham Road.

Damn you Tilly- you got there just before me!

Wouldn''t have got the pointers on though, but got the players.

Well done.

Damn again Tilly. I had them all bar Lee Power but assumed it was him due to the era.

Wouldn''t have got the non players though.

Missed that you left Sherwood, trouble with multi tasking.

He is, I believe a director at Swindon now, was he there Wednesday did anyone see?.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Damn again Tilly. I had them all bar Lee Power but assumed it was him due to the era.

Wouldn''t have got the non players though.

Missed that you left Sherwood, trouble with multi tasking.

He is, I believe a director at Swindon now, was he there Wednesday did anyone see?.[/quote]Tim isn''t at Swindon anymore but Lee Power is the Chairman/owner of the Robins.

I''m having a made on here Tilly.

I actually typed Tuesday and changed it!

I''m going to have an early night I think!