Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

NELSON OLIVEIRA

Yes, understand Bethnal but do you think if NO wanted to say something the club would stop him?

Spot on Bethnal. Players wont come out and talk to the media unless told to. We may even see Nelson at the next Presser, at which point he can just explain & apologize (which would make sense)

It seems Oliveira is now being made out to be a bad guy who wants to leave, which I don''t think is the case. However, leaving this situation for too long may play into Mendes'' hands and he may try to get Oliveira to leave for Wolves

Oliveira himself must know he is the best striker at this club and probably in the whole league. He was excellent in pre season and would rightly have been expecting to start last Saturday. His reaction may have been over the top but I imagine he feels he should start every game and i agree. All this talk of tactics, systems and different line ups for different opponents is pure guff. How often do Kane, or Lukaku. or Costa etc start on the bench? Never. You play your best players. Particularly your most potent goal scorers. Interesting how now the realisation Oliveira may very well be off has set in people are down playing his ability and making baseless accusations on his character. Mark my words losing this guy to a rival will be an absolute disaster.

The only time you hear players talking to the media behind the clubs back is if they are forcing a move, Webber said something similar about Murphy the other day if I remember rightly. Webber said although Murphy handled himself well except for the time he went to the media (Sky i think)

Also, yesterday was his birthday. Is it not beyond the realms of possibility that Oliveira was told to go enjoy his birthday as we have 2 big home games in the next week and wasn''t going to play last night anyway?

Sony

Yes, I do believe the club would stop him. A statement from a player outside of a scheduled press conference would be a significant change from the club''s usual media interactions and just draw yet more attention to the situation.

If Nelson was a social media user, we would probably have seen some tweets about ''on to the next one'' or something similarly positive and almost certainly scripted from the club. But he isn''t, so we haven''t.

Love to know where the''he was excellent in pre season'' come from. Yes he scored a great goal at Bielefeld, after Cam had run the defence ragged. (& scored one & made one) Incidentally just after he had missed a great chance taking if far too casually. Then at Charlton he was substituted at half time. DF said afterwards he was unhappy with the effort of some & my immediate thought was NO....& one or two more who hadn''t exactly been putting it in in the 1st half.

NO is really good striker but the sort of class some are putting him in no way. DFS tactics on Saturday were perfectly sound & worked. Hopefully this will blow over but I''m beginning to have my doubts

I heard from a friend that Naismith was in the legends lounge pre-game yesterday and had a very open chat with Adam Drury.

When an NO question came up, Naismith said something along the lines of ''he won''t be doing that again'' (don''t quote me on this, just from a 5 minute conversation after the game).

So maybe implying he has been disciplined for his antics, like you would expect from most managers if they were unhappy with a players conduct

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]Jim Smith wrote: "Selling Oliveira now is simply not an acceptable outcome. Big test of Farkes man management. He has to bring him back into the fold. If we end up selling him to another championship club I will be livid."
On the contrary, this is a test of Oliveira''s character and temperament, the extent to which he is prepared to put team and club above ego and perceived self-interest. It is for Oliveira to bring himself back into the fold. All Farke has to do is keep the fold gate open for him.
[/quote]

Its a test of both. Its all very well saying that Nelson has to bring himself back into the fold but when you have a brilliant but emotional member of your team you also have to learn how best to handle it and there is a balance to be struck between being form and not making the situation worse by going over the top. this is especially the case when you are in our financial position and know that you will not be able to afford the equivalent quality of player in the event that things really go wrong and he ends up leaving. We should not cut off our nose to spite our face here. I am sure that if handled right Nelson will come around but the fact that he no doubt has suitors waiting in the wings (and the club seems obsessed with offloading high earners nd banking cash when its on offer) will not help matters.[/quote]

He is good but hardly "brilliant". If the price to keep is a lack of discipline and an acknowledgement that he can behave differently to the rest of the squad then not for me.... the fact he never stays that long at one club and has been loaned out on numerous occasions sems to indicate that he is "difficult". Hope he stays but do not think this defines our season if he leaves.

Just pissed off he has made farkes job even harder than it should be...

Those saying Nelson doesn''t work hard, or chase/Harry need to have another good watch of the Fulham game and then report back to say if they stick by their assertion. He did more chasing and harrying in his sub appearance than Cam did all game (and I''m not criticising Cam, I thought he did ok). NO won the ball back after chasing players down at least 3 times i can recall, put himself about, closed the opposition down relentlessly etc.

I accept that Fulham were probably tiring at this point, but let''s try to stick to what actually happened rather than trying to demonize him as lazy when it''s patently not correct

''the fact he never stays that long at one club and has been loaned out on numerous occasions sems to indicate that he is "difficult". Hope he stays but do not think this defines our season if he leaves''

He had been at Benfica his entire career, but loaned out almost every season. When you consider Benfica are the top Portuguese club, of course he would want to make it work there.

Its no different to a young player at one of the top Prem teams trying to force their way into the first team - look at Chelseas loan system.

I don''t think you can say he has never stayed anywhere long, when this is his first permanent move

RB

"Agree re. lack of media exposure. The Championship is like no other 2nd tier league in the world in terms of media exposure. I wonder if somebody (Webber?) will have a quiet word in his ear telling him to put it all to bed at the next Presser to stop it spiraling further out of control "

I must be a bit old fashioned here RB but to me he did put the matter to bed by saying he wasn''t going to discuss Nelson, that''s the approach he took at the press conference, no individual should distract attention from the team. Surely he is just being consistent.

As for Webbers advice, I would be surprised if that had not been given to Farke before last nights interview, they both will have been expecting the question.

All this business with Oliveira being out of the fold currently highlights that our squad is woefully short of strikers as the only real option left is Jerome! I know people say others like Naismith can play up top or Watkins or Murphy but we haven''t got time to let them bed in in that position.

It highlights to me that Webber needs to sort out another out and out striker pronto, otherwise it could be disastrous to just have Jerome and Oliveira as proven strikers

No one player, including Oliveira, can be seen, or should think he is, bigger than the club itself. What Oliveira did at Fulham was childish and arrogance personified. He is not the best striker in the league at all, and like the rest of the city players, has no right to walk into any side but has to fight and show consistency. To date, he hasn''t. Yes he may work hard, but so does Jerome and others, but if he hasn''t done enough to impress the coach, then it''s the coaches call, and he should respect that.

Repeatedly been said by Webber and Farke that they are happy with the striker options and I agree.

Strikers are the highest paid players generally and you don''t want one being at the club and not even making the bench. Watkins made half his appearances last season as a striker so it is hardly like he needs to ''bed in''.

Getting another striker, better than Watkins or Murphy, would mean a fairly large fee and wages, just for a player who won''t make in onto the bench most weeks. A complete waste of money.

@Kick it off, one game doesn''t make a season does it?

I saw, last season, a number of games Nelson whinge at others around him for not providing the ball to his feet.

Cambridge friendly he was moaning at Wildschut for the most part.

I''m not demonising him, he''s a good player. Im am bored however of reading about it and I''m entitled to my opinion about his work rate as are you.

No, agreed it doesn''t Morgan, but him wanting the ball to feet, and being annoyed about not getting it, is not the same thing as being lazy.
You are entitled to your opinion, as you rightly say, so we''ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Poor man''s Diego Costa. I think he needs to score a few more for us before getting too sulky and arrogant though. I admire his passion but we really don''t need it undermining the manager. You see what a difference it can have on players. Bassong went from our best defender in a generation to the worst because he stopped playing for the manager. It can have a knockon effect on other players if one isn''t fully committed.

Hopefully he starts vs Sunderland on Saturday and puts on a show and we can all move on and work on promotion!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]My view is that he has been told that he will start the Sunderland game and that we don''t want to risk him tonight. [/quote]

That''s technically what I meant yet some have to be pedantic[/quote]

Well done to those such as Nexus that looked down their nose at my concerns over last nights omission of the best striker we''ve had at Carrow Rd in years. It really wasn''t rocket science.

Not looking so f***ing clever today, are you?

He was seen enjoying his birthday at Funky''s with all the other spoilt brats

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Of course, the flip side to this is Nelson starts Sunday, scores a hat trick, and gives Farke a nice big hug & high five when celebrating to show both parties have moved on & we all go home happy.

Agree re. lack of media exposure. The Championship is like no other 2nd tier league in the world in terms of media exposure. I wonder if somebody (Webber?) will have a quiet word in his ear telling him to put it all to bed at the next Presser to stop it spiraling further out of control[/quote]... but if he scores a hat-trick and Farke decides he wants to start Jerome in the next game we would be back to square one as the toys are thrown out of the pram again. If he''s not a team player and cannot accept managerial decisions, good or bad, it''s sad to say it but he does not belong at Norwich. I really hope this is resolved, NO accepts managerial decisions and authority and stays as I can envisage us in the Prem next season if we can maintain what appears could eventually be a great team and squad ethic. 

If he scored a hat trick on Sunday and Jerome started the next game Farke would be a mentalist and Oliveira would have every right to point it out!!! You do not drop inform strikers.

That''s indeed a very valid point paul- what happens if reinstated but then left out again, will we get this repeatedly?

Last night was lucky for DF because it gave him the ideal opportunity to leave NO out, showing strength, but in a less important game than Sunday''s. I suspect that DF will do the same again on Sun just to ram it home that he is not giving in to such displays. If NO comes on and scores again as he did last Saturday it will be very interesting to see what happens next!

there is also something in the way that NO did this on sat- had he approached the manager with a smile and pointed to his name or something it could be seen as a bit of banter. But it seemed genuinely pointed and tetchy which was not a good sign.

FWIW in my mind NO is well down our list of capable strikers we''ve had over the years so he has a way to go before being seen as irreplaceable.

Its a squad game and that is all - I am sure we will be rotating the squad through the season. Oliveira will have to live with that.  If he can''t or won''t, then we are better that he goes.  Personally, I hope he can live with it, use his fire and desire where it''s needed on the pitch, focus his energies at the right time and have a storming season for us.

Alex wrote the following post at 2017-08-09 7:55 PM:

Nexus_Canary wrote:
 paul moy wrote:
My view is that he has been told that he will start the Sunderland game and that we don''t want to risk him tonight.

That''s technically what I meant yet some have to be pedantic

Well done to those such as Nexus that looked down their nose at my concerns over last nights omission of the best striker we''ve had at Carrow Rd in years. It really wasn''t rocket science.

Not looking so f***ing clever today, are you?

Really. The best striker we''ve had at Carrow Road in years? You quite obviously haven''t been watching City too long. He is nowhere near as good as several we have had, like Davies, Ashman, Bryceland, McDougall, Boyer, Curran and Ashton to name a few, yet alone Jerome! Funny how he hadn''t stayed at too many English Clubs either for too long, and was continually overlooked by his home club in Benfica. And there are reasons for that!!