Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

NELSON OLIVEIRA

Big gamble if it is a ''punishment'' for Saturday. Dont want to play games with your main players

On the flip side, he could have been told he is starting Sunday so doesn''t want to risk him, something Nelson could have been fully in agreement with - cannot see Jerome starting 3 games in a week.

Also, we have back to back home games coming up in the next week, so would want Oliveria as fresh as possible

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Is it any wonder that among mainland Europeans, we are often referred to as '' island monkeys''.[/quote]

Insel-Affe has always been an insult that I find hilarious and bang on. :D

Rested after a 30 minute cameo at Craven Cottage?

Clearly not.

He is either being saved for the Sunderland game or being given a lesson in discipline by Farke.....

My view is that he has been told that he will start the Sunderland game and that we don''t want to risk him tonight.

[quote user="paul moy"]My view is that he has been told that he will start the Sunderland game and that we don''t want to risk him tonight. [/quote]

That''s technically what I meant yet some have to be pedantic

Not for me. I think this is the coach showing him who makes the decisions. Difficult to let a player get away with showing obvious descent in front of the tv cameras and do nothing. What sort of message would that send to the rest of the team? Right decision in my view.

Hopefully this will be the last of it and he''s back in the squad on Sunday.

Who else from last Saturday is not even in the squad?

What''s afoot, and I''m NOT being alarmist?

We could do without all this.

So Oliveira is the ONLY player to be ''rested'' from Saturday. More amazing naivety from the pinkun'' regulars. There is clearly an issue. Just pray Farke can sort this out, if Oliveira leaves for a rival club it will be a disaster.

[quote user="Keith Scott"]So Oliveira is the ONLY player to be ''rested'' from Saturday. More amazing naivety from the pinkun'' regulars. There is clearly an issue. Just pray Farke can sort this out, if Oliveira leaves for a rival club it will be a disaster.[/quote]If he doesn''t play on Sunday then perhaps we should worry, barring a training injury.

[quote user="Keith Scott"]So Oliveira is the ONLY player to be ''rested'' from Saturday. More amazing naivety from the pinkun'' regulars. There is clearly an issue. Just pray Farke can sort this out, if Oliveira leaves for a rival club it will be a disaster.[/quote]I heard he stormed out of the team meeting, jumped into his BMW Isetta and wheel spun away. Something definitely up.

I doubt it was ever the plan to start Nelson tonight. I''m sure Nelson isn''t that bothered about that either.

Quite conveiniantly, Farke has been able to follow what he intended to do but look like he''s acted firmly with discipline against Nelson.

Shows the media, fans and the rest of the players he''s boss. But I''m all likelihood there''s been a private conversation between Farke and Nelson that whereby Farke has explained the benefit of leaving him out of the squad tonight.

If he''s not in the squad for Sunderland, then we have a problem.

The manager at Morison didn''t realise there is a match tonight and Oliveira has been put down to do his shift tonight, currently on checkout 3

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="Keith Scott"]So Oliveira is the ONLY player to be ''rested'' from Saturday. More amazing naivety from the pinkun'' regulars. There is clearly an issue. Just pray Farke can sort this out, if Oliveira leaves for a rival club it will be a disaster.[/quote]I heard he stormed out of the team meeting, jumped into his BMW Isetta and wheel spun away. Something definitely up.[/quote]
Yeah I heard as he walked out the door he looked pointedly at Farke, and drew his finger across his throat threateningly. 

''Will he be in the squad Sunday?''

''I don''t want to talk about him tonight''

Not really sure what to make of that! Would rather it was put to bed tonight so we could move on

All a bit ominous if you ask me. What should have been put to bed very quickly feels like it could end up with a parting of the ways if we are not careful. Would be disastrous but I just have an ominous feeling that Farke and Webber would not be as adverse to selling as the fans and this incident may prompt a bid or two.

The thing is if we sell, it would have to be in the 12-15mil bracket with every penny being reinvested in a new striker which I just cannot see happening. It''s going to be a long wait till the next presser (Friday?) for it to be cleared up.

However, are we just playing one big game by keeping Sunderland in the dark? Why announce we are starting Oliveira now when we could lead them to believe we are starting Jerome?

If the worst comes to the worst and we have to sell a la Howson, I don''t think it would be as disasterous as people are making out.

He''s a decent player and a great finisher, but highly overrated by some fans akin to Timm Klose. If he and Farke have irreconcilable differences, there will and should be only one winner I''m afraid. I would personally be f****g furious if I was Farke given Oliveira''s antics on Saturday.

Scoring goals is not our problem; we have them all over the pitch. I''m sure the two will patch things up, but I wouldn''t cry if he was sold for good money, assuming (and it''s a big assumption) we could get a decent replacement in.

He''ll be at Wolves by the end of the window, mark my words.

To be replaced by some loan signing no doubt.

If we get £10m for him it will be £2m max replacement. £20m is his value IMO. Best striker in the league. But we know we never attract the right bids.

Mmm! Farke seemed a bit cagey tonight in post match interview re Nelson... Hopefully all will be good!

https://mobile.twitter.com/paddyjdavitt/status/895031328638414848/video/1

Hopefully I''ve got the right URL... can someone make clicky, cheers

Getting a bad feeling about this.

Don''t forget how many clubs Nelson''s had without settling. This can be for different reasons with different players, but it''s beginning to look like a lack of self-discipline with him.

I really didn''t like some of his apparent petulance from the start; one that sticks in my mind early on was his raking fingernails across the eye of an opponent who''d been niggling him. Not good. Then there was that stupid red card of course. Perhaps there is something of the Joey Barton in his makeup?

Undoubtedly gifted as he is, we may well be better off without him in the long term if his temperament is unacceptable. Farke is right, team always comes before individual, however good they may be.

[quote user="Ian"]If the worst comes to the worst and we have to sell a la Howson, I don''t think it would be as disasterous as people are making out.

He''s a decent player and a great finisher, but highly overrated by some fans akin to Timm Klose. If he and Farke have irreconcilable differences, there will and should be only one winner I''m afraid. I would personally be f****g furious if I was Farke given Oliveira''s antics on Saturday.

Scoring goals is not our problem; we have them all over the pitch. I''m sure the two will patch things up, but I wouldn''t cry if he was sold for good money, assuming (and it''s a big assumption) we could get a decent replacement in.[/quote]

Selling Oliveira now is simply not an acceptable outcome. Big test of Farkes man management. He has to bring him back into the fold. If we end up selling him to another championship club I will be livid.

I agree think we need to bring him back into the fold with a false forgiveness and get him playing well, then sell on our terms with a replacement lined up!

He is head and shoulders above Jerome when it comes to his range of finishing - Jerome runs around a lot and is OK from inside the 6 yard box but still misses too many sitters - would be a huge blow if NO left - who would we replace him with within our budget???

lots of 2+2=5 going on here. but if everyone is playing the ill informed idiotic overreaction guesswork my punt would be he has been rested, as a punishment, to give him breathing space and will be back on Sunday and told to prove his point with his feet & performance, not the cotton wool between his head.

If Nelson is going to be this disruptive then we ARE better off without him - fantastic finisher with great technique but incredibly selfish and inconsistent game to game depending upon his appetite. The datas (not mine) show his conversion rate is worse than jeromes and jerome gets involved in a goal or chance every 50 mins compared to every 75 for Nelson.

Both players are a huge asset to the club but have different strength. No player is above the team. No player has performed well enough to have an auto space.

We will know a lot more come Sunday.

ZLF wrote the following post at 09/08/2017 7:58 AM:

"lots of 2+2=5 going on here. but if everyone is playing the ill informed idiotic overreaction guesswork my punt would be he has been rested, as a punishment, to give him breathing space and will be back on Sunday and told to prove his point with his feet & performance, not the cotton wool between his head. "

This is my take on it also.

The whole thrust of Farke''s approach to this has been that he does not want attention to be focused on Nelson when it''s a team game.

His refusal to talk about him last night was that approach playing out.

I think Rob Butlers reaction to the interview last night was a bit hysterical