Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

NELSON OLIVEIRA

Absolute class and absolutely ridiculous he didn''t start today. Judging by his celebration Nelson clearly agrees. Farke needs to keep him happy and start him every game. If we lose him it will be a disaster. Oliveira and Pritchard are going to be vital this season.

Made sure Farke knew who he was when he scored, great celebration, shows passion.

Fully agree. Was 1000% more effective than Jerome, who worked hard (as always) but never influenced the game at all.
Oliviera fits this style of play far better than Jerome imo.

Carrow89 wrote the following post at 05/08/2017 5:12 PM:

Farke did know who Oliveira was. He kept shouting ''nein, nein'' when Nelson took off his shirt.

😀

I see what Farke has said, about Jerome starting because of the youngsters, but Olive can score goals out of nothing, and needs to be our first choice striker.

I always think Jerome is more effective coming off the bench, with his power and pace against tiring defenders. One wonders if we''d have won the game outright if Olive had started

I read it completely opposite. Without Jerome our midfield would have been overrun completely; he won everything that Gunn was kicking upfield (obviously pre-planned) & was harrying them at every opportunity & his movement opened up space for players like Watkins.

In a sense he was part of the rock that Fulham wore themselves out against, part of the reason why we looked more composed & likely to score at the death. Bringing on Oli at such a time is tactically a better option I feel.

"One wonders if we''d have won the game outright if Olive had started"Or,alternatively, if the game might have been over by half time so great was the Fulham pressure. "Strikers" don''t just strike (see Farke''s after-match comments on why CJ started).

[quote user="kick it off"]Fully agree. Was 1000% more effective than Jerome, who worked hard (as always) but never influenced the game at all.
[/quote]I absolutely agree with that. Jerome needs more space.  This slow build up that allows defenses to regroup is not really Jertome''s cuppa. In a way he would have fitted better in Fulham today.

Pretty much a perfect display from the bench. Always looking to make things happen, and not only looking to make things happen, but actually delivering. He did seem really fired up today too! he worked really hard, harried the defence more effectively than Jerome as well and fought for and held the ball up well. If he can maintain that intensity and urgency to his game, maybe add a slight improvement to his team play, that added to the natural qualities he has, we might just have a genuine premiership quality striker on our hands. And we haven''t had one of those for quite a while.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="kick it off"]Fully agree. Was 1000% more effective than Jerome, who worked hard (as always) but never influenced the game at all.
[/quote]I absolutely agree with that. Jerome needs more space.  This slow build up that allows defenses to regroup is not really Jertome''s cuppa. In a way he would have fitted better in Fulham today. [/quote]Which style of play? We weren''t able to play much possession football in the first half, since Fulham were doing it (excellently) instead. Farke had clearly anticipated just this and chose his starting eleven accordingly. As the game wore on we got more control and were better able to impose "this style of play", at which point Oliveira was brought on.

Thought DF was tactically astute in todays game, given the players available, Murf on his own didnt have much impact but with Wes and Oli on too, we looked to play through their tightly packed , holding on to 1 nil, defence,  which would not be  CJs, or Yanics style.It seems we have more than one plan.

We were overrun at times in the first half and that was with Jeromes hustling and defensive work.

Think we would have struggled big time in that first half with Oliveira who doesn''t quite do the same defensive work. Saying that had Oli been on for one of Watkins opportunities you''d have to fancy him to have taken it.

A quality player, but zero discipline, he will be sent off at least a couple of times this season. Easy for the opposition to wind up.

I get the feeling, having seen his goal celebration and the way he totally ignored Wes and ran over to his boss to give him some; then refusing to celebrate with Farke after he went to embrace him, that Oliveira can be a bit of a k*ob at times. That''s the sort of unprofessional crap that you would expect form Lafferty.

Fairly sure Farke and Webber will sort him out, but Oliveira''s got to understand it''s about the team rather than him.

Really good tactical decision-making from the head coach today. Away to one of the promotion favourites. I think we''ve got ourselves a goodun there.

[quote user="Samwam27"]I see what Farke has said, about Jerome starting because of the youngsters, but Olive can score goals out of nothing, and needs to be our first choice striker.

I always think Jerome is more effective coming off the bench, with his power and pace against tiring defenders. One wonders if we''d have won the game outright if Olive had started[/quote]

... but one wonders also if we''d still have had 11 on the pitch if he started, with his temperament. He has to earn the right to start, and getting sent off last season has set him back IMO. 

[quote user="Keith Scott"]Absolute class and absolutely ridiculous he didn''t start today. Judging by his celebration Nelson clearly agrees. Farke needs to keep him happy and start him every game. If we lose him it will be a disaster. Oliveira and Pritchard are going to be vital this season.[/quote][Y] He''s going to be immense for us this promotion season and I would expect him to start more often than not - keeping him past January is key.

Oliveira was attracting interest from the ''biggest'' clubs in the world not so many years ago. If I recall correctly, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, to name but a few. I suspect his injury record and temperament may have put paid to that. At least for now. But make no mistake, he is absolute f***ing quality. He oozes class. I''m delighted he plays for us, first name on the teamsheet for me, and I hope he starts against Sunderland at Carrow Rd. Nice reaction from Daniel Farke - what a cool understanding guy 👍

For me Oliverira did exactly the right thing got angry / passionate about being dropped / on bench went out scored and made a point exactly what Farke wanted him to do

Farke will be happy how do we know it might have been a fantastic bit of man management ??

The only problem i see for all his work will Jerome score enough for us would like to see a pacey striker brought in then i would be very happy

I love Cam, he''s a model pro and certainly scores in the Championship. You can''t not love him. Really impressed with how level headed he was when I met him. But Oliveira is, with all due respect to CJ, on a different level in terms of technical ability, and also so much more clinical. He is our best striker. He must start against Sunderland.

As worked up as he was to get such a late goal and make his point id say he was a t**t for removing shirt and getting a needless booking. when he is suspended in October for a game or two for 5 bookings it could cost us.

Have never understood why players need to remove shirt or go into crowd no matter how pumped they are.....

I would expect Farke to have a quiet word with Oliveira on Monday to remind him that his job is to score goals when selected to play and the Head Coach''s job is to decide when he plays.

Whilst Nelson''s passion is good it does have to be controlled and focused.

I remember when Moyes was appointed Everton manager that in one of his early matches at Goodison he made a substitution and the substituted player made his displeasure clear. As he sat down Moyes was in his face making it very clear to him who the boss was. Players have to remember that they are paid to be available to play when selected but it is the boss who makes the selection decisions. As Billy Bremner once said, it is side before self every time.

Horses for courses. Why can''t anyone see that?

Jerome no doubt ran the defence ragged. Oli on when the time was right. He''s lazy, wants the ball at his feet all the time, doesn''t chase, barely harries. Great player but you have to choose the starting 11 according to the situation.