Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Farke's Henry V 'St. Crispen's Day' Speech

There are segments of Farke''s comment on Oliveira which focus on the ethos he is seeking to impose at Norwich City which are Shakespearean in nature - and that from a German who has little press experience and using other than his native tongue (although that might make it sound a little more like Old English).

What a change from dour manager speak and best of all it was so laden with humility he has avoided setting himself up for a fall.

I so want this guy to succeed. I''m sure the players will feel the same and if they do they will run through brick walls for him.

I get the same modesty from our new German players we have heard speaking. No wonder that nation is so successful - actions speak louder than words and a team is better than the sum of it''s parts. This is how the English used to be but since the 1980''s we have progressively morphed into arrogant, entitled idiots. It used to be that our plentiful thick were hard working and uncomplaining and our brightest, grounded and understated. Now we have a plethora of idle and stupid living separate lives from the greedy and arrogant.

Farke tells it how it ought to be:

“Perhaps just for the last time because we have spoken about Nelson Oliveira in the last days. So this will be my last comment. I was not content with his reaction. I said that after the game. I totally understand when a player is a little bit angry not to be in the XI so I didn’t go too deep with this situation but it was more the behaviour and how it effects the group. That is the reason I did without him for Swindon.

“In general, not mentioning Nelson, it is quite important for each player and each member of the staff or coaching team that you are always aware it is always about the group, about the club. The club is bigger than one single person. I deeply believe this. The club does not have to fall on its knees and kiss the feet of a player or a coach or head coach. Whatever. It is the other way around. Each and every player, member of staff, head coach has to be thankful to be able to be allowed to work for this club.

“It is a great honour to work for Norwich City. It is a massive club, an amazing club. To earn money to play football and work for this club, for this region and this beautiful city. I think we have the best supporters in the Championship with their passion and togetherness. It is a big honour for each employee to work for them and be responsible for the success. You need than in mind each and every day. If there is a guy who thinks more about themselves then I will act.

“I am not here to win the Nobel Peace prize. I am here to bring a certain working style, attitude and hopefully success. You only have success when you work with a special attitude and style. I would rather do without quality and big names to have this. We have such a wonderful group of players. We spoke many times about Russell Martin and Wes Hoolahan. Russell plays with pain and injections at Fulham. There was a risk but he knew we needed him on the pitch. Steven Naismith has nearly 300 Premier League appearances and 60 games or so for the national side. He asked me if he was allowed to play for the U23s. That is the attitude I want. Sometimes if you speak to a young player and ask them to play for the U23s you get the feeling it is a little below their dignity.

“When we speak about Alex Tettey it is quite hard not to bring him on the pitch. He works very hard but I decide to start right now with a different player. I have spoken to him and told him I am really content but we are going with Harrison Reed and James Maddison. He said to me, ‘coach I accept it, if I play 90 minutes or nine minutes or no minutes I will accept it and when you need me I will be there and will train as hard as I can’.

“It is about this attitude. That is why they are idols for the whole team. That is why I am convinced that we will have success. Probably we are not the club with the most opportunities to spend money but we have such a good atmosphere in the whole group and that is our real strength. For sure, Nelson knows he made a mistake. He apologised in front of the group and now for me the topic is finished. He has to prove it on the pitch, in the dressing room but for me it is finished.

“It is not only to criticise Nelson. He knows he deserved that but we have to help him as well. He is not the youngest guy but in the last six years he probably had eight clubs so he needs a club where he can learn and have a group of players who can help him. That is my group here. For sure, it is up to him to improve but we will help him.

“We don’t have to speak about his quality or his potential. He just needs to show 100pc passion for the club, not only for himself, and if he does that he is one of the best strikers in the league. We need his quality. We are looking forward to working with him and bring him to that standard. Then we can have much fun together. Not only is he is a guy with much potential but he has a good heart.”

Farke is 100% spot on in his remarks and reading his comments have further increased my admiration for both Tettey and Naismith.

Really excited for Sunday and it seems lots of other fans are as well given how few tickets are left.

What a pleasure it is to have someone articulate at the head of our club and relieved to hear the NO affair is over.

Absolute pleasure to read this, exactly what you want to hear. Feeling very positive. Impressed with Webber too

Clearly a lot going on with Nelson which isn''t really great.

But I''m really loving Farke at the moment, seems genuine and passionate. Most importantly seems to be developing a love of the club which we have seen in players like huckerby, Roberts etc.

Also great to see the commitment and desire he is motivating in players like Tettey and Naismith.

Early days but we could have a special coach here.

Already has me feeling proud of my club again after the real disappointment of last couple of years.

Farke talks well. I''m impressed with what he is saying, and to remain unbeaten so far including preseason with the number of changes made to the playing staff gives me hope that he is indeed quite special for us. I do laugh when I hear him speak, as his voice reminds me of the pigs from Shrek.

Absolutely agree Lessingham. What an impressive man Mr Farke is. I would even find defeat acceptable in the short term as, with this ethic, success feels near inevitable in the long term.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fvnucj-g5xJ4&h=ATMi7u-0QHTY8k-JT4P5MAq3ZBNnjTqQQyRspfD04ytvjXM-H_kSi7Db-SwIZ49KoIEwMCKZX25xlXfi4uYaffwBRkfjddNG40wSm0jz-1QTnZWTwBiO55HKGGThnOsKKTe7jM1SbyAVk80QQ7I4qzmY9xm702_ONHE1VCILf5V5ccINJKKMGPZruj1vJ8fAXO5-b49etMxmRbczOCPmK3Hvv6z0zTsZ0Fs2AmWWHlM-NmSjnRXvOUYl51DHlNOZVyNUW18pYe7noOOmbJ7kcAZSC2fMf1am-mqxkg

An excellent and passionate speech from the head coach and I think it''s fair to say Mr. Farke "gets it".   He speaks passionately (not in his first language either) with a clarity of thought and vision that we can all understand, team ethic, hard work, no player is more important than anyone else and that they have to be thankful for being where they are.  If he keeps to his course - and there is no reason to think he won''t - it can only be good for the football and the club.    I liked Hughton, I liked AN possibly even more - until he lost his way - DF, I think, has it all and seems to have a great understanding of many things, including psychology, which the last few coaches we have had maybe were lacking.  Lambert, while he was here, got the psychology right, but then he had that Dortmund influence too. Power to you Mr. Farke, you have raised the bar by a long way in the short time you have been at Norwich.  A long season ahead, but it''s going to be a fascinating one.

Re. the OP, the sad fact is that the German contingent at Carrow Road are far more likely to be familiar with Henry V''s speech than are any of their English colleagues. 

Farke said "I think we have the best supporters in the Championship with their passion and togetherness"  It''s up to us to prove him right !

HAMLET

Lady, shall I lie in your lap? [Lying down at OPHELIA''s feet]

OPHELIA

No, my lord.

HAMLET

I mean, my head upon your lap?

OPHELIA

Ay, my lord.

HAMLET

Do you think I meant country matters?

OPHELIA

I think nothing, my lord.

HAMLET

That''s a fair thought to lie between maids'' legs.

Bit of a lad that Shakespeare

Hopefully those that have a go at players such as Tettey and Naismith will take note of the comments made by our head coach about them.

When senior players who are not making the first team can buy into the ethos that Farke is creating them maybe we ought to get behind the team and give them our very best support.

I think we are about to witness a very special era in our history.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Farke said "I think we have the best supporters in the Championship with their passion and togetherness"  It''s up to us to prove him right ![/quote]Absolutely Swindon, and that includes the days when our side suffers defeat, as it will do of course. It also includes appreciation right now, from us fans, of such a bold move from Delia and the  club, to not only change things, as it of course needed doing, but to do it in such a comprehensive way, same time as doing the cloth cutting to. DF has wowed us all in the short time he has been here, not in a big flashy style, but thru his honesty and his vision of how he views us and our club, and what he hopes to achieve in the coming season and far beyond.This may well be no short term fix, no miraculous first 6 month whirlwind affair, results wise, that we got from AN. In all honesty, im right behind this guy and would rather all us fans give him and the club time to succeed, instead of a miracle 6 months then it all falls to pieces like we had under AN. As long as the players react to his vision and way of doing things, so should we. OTBC.

Hope it brings us back to the days of Lambert when everyone bought into it. The fringe players will be key. There will be an Oli Johnson moment this season where that 25th man (or whatever) plays an important role and if they are not up for it or not fit then we will fail no matter what great names we have in our first choice 11

Rather a contrast to Mr. Grayson:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/simon-grayson-doesnt-know-what-13466492

I cannot help but feel he sounds like a bit of a ... er ... plonker, shall we say.

[quote user="Van wink"]HAMLET

Lady, shall I lie in your lap? [Lying down at OPHELIA''s feet]

OPHELIA

No, my lord.[/quote]Was she in any way related to Ed Balls Winky? [:^)]Perfect. [:D] [<:o)]

Why are we specifically getting so much grief for appointing a foreign coach?

We''ve repeatedly given British coaches a chance at this level and above, backed them (often far too long) we try something different for once and it seems to be brought up everytime we''re brought up in the media.

I don''t remember it being such a problem at other clubs.

British coaches are being given a chance (particually by us) Hughton from a league below, Adams from the youth team, Neil froma club with 2000 supporters turning up every week. Then you have other clubs poaching managers from a lower level like Evans at Leeds, Slade at Cardiff, Coyle at Blackburn, Grayson at Sunderland etc trouble is they often turn out to be crap, the type of managers that just shout a lot and improve teams by signing players, not doing any coaching.

On the flip side Pulis, Hughes and Allardyce could walk into a lot of jobs at the two divisions because they''ve actually got some ability. If all these out of work or slumming it in L2 british managers were good enough they''d be in jobs at higher levels, they aren''t though, you can''t get work by complaining ffs