Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

45 years ago today

Yes it was 45 years ago today that Norwich played their first ever match in the top division 12th Aug 1972 against Everton. The Canaries took the lead when Jim Bone scored a brilliant individual goal, the down point was that future Canary Joe Royal levelled with 11 mins remaining. it was played before a ''disappointing'' crowd of 28,851 ( I was the1at the end )   

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Yes it was 45 years ago today that Norwich played their first ever match in the top division 12th Aug 1972 against Everton. The Canaries took the lead when Jim Bone scored a brilliant individual goal, the down point was that future Canary Joe Royal levelled with 11 mins remaining. it was played before a ''disappointing'' crowd of 28,851 ( I was the1at the end )    [/quote]Bone used pure strength to barrel his way through the Everton defence to smash the ball home. For the equaliser there was a cross from the right, with Russell Martin nowhere to be seen, as usual that season, and Royle had a fairly simple header.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Yes it was 45 years ago today that Norwich played their first ever match in the top division 12th Aug 1972 against Everton. The Canaries took the lead when Jim Bone scored a brilliant individual goal, the down point was that future Canary Joe Royal levelled with 11 mins remaining. it was played before a ''disappointing'' crowd of 28,851 ( I was the1at the end )    [/quote]Bone used pure strength to barrel his way through the Everton defence to smash the ball home. For the equaliser there was a cross from the right, with Russel Martin nowhere to be seen, as usual that season, and Royle had a fairly simple header.[/quote]Post of the week Purple by a country mile. [:D]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Wasn''t the attendance a lot less than that ? I seem to remember Ron Saunders having a moan about how low it was.[/quote]

John Bond also used to moan about how low the attendances were in the 1970s and 80s. He felt that his brand of entertaining football deserved better. It is ironic that NCFC had lower attendances when they played better football in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, yet when the football deteriorated thereafter the attendances increased (no doubt due to this brainwashing of the people of Norfolk by the cult of Delia).

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Wasn''t the attendance a lot less than that ? I seem to remember Ron Saunders having a moan about how low it was.[/quote]According to '' Canary Citizen '' it was 25,851 so OP typo I guess. To be fair Saunders was right to have a moan. Pretty p*ss poor for a first ever game in the top flight in a ground that held 42,000.I wasn''t slumming it with the Barclay riff-raff. Enclosure seat in front of the Main Stand for me and my mate. Queued for 90 mins or more to get in mind. Those were the days.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Made me smile as well Purple. Spelling police may be less amused.

For the record I was in the River End that day.[/quote]In my defence I am just so angry, even after 45 years, about how Martin did nothing to prevent that goal that I didn''t check for typos...

I will own up as it was me typing the quote in red with one L and not Purple in his original post. [:$]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I will own up as it was me typing the quote in red with one L and not Purple in his original post. [:$][/quote]Fine, but that just shows how angry I still am about Martin''s no-show that day, that I thought it perfectly possible I could have mistyped his name...

"Jimmy for Scotland, Paddon for England".

I was in the South Stand. And can I ask a question which I have never had a answer to , and which still puzzles me: why did Kenny Foggo never get a look in that season, having been so good the previous one, and really helping us get promoted ? He was sub twice, and never started a game. Did Ron Saunders just assume he wouldn''t be good enough for the top flight ?

After wondering for 44 years, it would be good to know !

[quote user="john in exile in leeds"]"Jimmy for Scotland, Paddon for England".

I was in the South Stand. And can I ask a question which I have never had a answer to , and which still puzzles me: why did Kenny Foggo never get a look in that season, having been so good the previous one, and really helping us get promoted ? He was sub twice, and never started a game. Did Ron Saunders just assume he wouldn''t be good enough for the top flight ?

After wondering for 44 years, it would be good to know ![/quote]No idea really other than he must have upset Ron Saunders who wasn''t the sort of man to forgive and forget as Jimmy Bone would no doubt testify.Felt a bit sad for Kenny with just a brief appearance all season as a sub against Man City at Carrow Rd

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]Made me smile as well Purple. Spelling police may be less amused.

For the record I was in the River End that day.[/quote]In my defence I am just so angry, even after 45 years, about how Martin did nothing to prevent that goal that I didn''t check for typos...[/quote]

I take your point Purple but is it not

more down to the board lacking ambition by failing to persuade Gordon McQueen to choose us over Man Utd.