Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Brighton

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Oh no, another thread about a premier league club ![/quote]Thanks for adding to the discussion. Very insightful.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I thought I would say it so you didn''t have too 😀[/quote]No problem with a thread about Brighton but if you recall the other thread was about the Scum and the first reply dragged the Chelsea score into it  and my response was based around that and in your usual haste to score points it obviously passed you by. Any other threads around i have posted on you wish it derail in your play the poster games tonight ?

BBC report

Brighton

only had 22% of the ball today. Their goalkeeper Mat Ryan played more

passes than any of their outfield players. They had six shots, two on

target, two off target and two blocked - but never really felt like

scoring.

Only saw bits but if that''s anything to go by it''ll be a long long season for Brighton fans under Hughton. Saying that if they scrape survival it won''t matter!

Ahahahahahahahaha!True to form, Hughton bottles it when he gets into the prem, has zero faith in his players at this level, and reverts to the same overly defensive tosh he tried with us, and on this showing it''s going to get the same sort of result (except we actually had a better squad than Brighton!).Always the same, plays decent, relatively attacking football in the Champs, then parks the bus in the Prem, what a f**king joke that man is tactically.

[quote user="Darth Canary1"]It''ll be a long season for sure but you cant judge them on a game against man city at home.[/quote]Yes, one can -- Brighton are going to get relegated.

I find it a bit ridiculous that Indy Bones can defend RVW like his life depends on it but describes Hughton as a "f*cking joke" tactically.

Clearly in the top 2 levels of English football Chris Hughton is a better tactician than RVW is a striker.

Staggering lack of ambition on display. You don''t have to go gung ho but BT showed at half time that the average position of every Brighton player was in their own half.

It was an ultra-defensive display, but to be fair Man City took a long time to work their way through. Brighton will surely show much more ambition in other games, and those are the ones that will determine their season.

Anyone who has even vaguely followed Chris Hughton''s career as a manager knows that he sets his teams up in one of two ways. If he feels that his players are superior to the opposition he will have a go and be more attacking and expansive. If he feels that the opposition are superior, he will tighten up and emphasise the importance of not making mistakes.In the Championship he will more often than not take the former stance. In the Premier League, you only have to listen to his pre-match interview to know that 99 times out 0f 100 he adopts the latter opinion. Sadly when you focus on playing tight football and reiterate to your players how important it is not to make mistakes, your players worry about making mistakes and inevitably make them. As displayed in Lewis Dunk''s own goal today.I expect that it will be a long season if you are a B&HA fan.

His post match talk focussed on how good Man City are............. as did his pre match talk

.................................. and not doubt his halftime talk

For what it''s worth, I was never a fan of his style and I had my doubts about him in his first season here.

But at least he''s got a style. He has his beliefs and he sticks by them.

I''d rather that than some phoney who says one thing and does another or looks for excuses.

I didn''t have a problem with his defensive approach away from home or v top teams. It was when we played other smaller clubs at home and we played the same 9 men behind the ball, give it to Snodgrass so he can fall over tactics that infuriated me.....and the routine pastings we got (although that continued under Adams/Neil)

We never attacked teams at home, sure, against rubbish teams like Cardiff 2012 we had loads of attempts but i always felt we never created clear chances, only long shots and half chances the strikers had split seconds to react to/at awkward angles because there was never enough bodies or movement in forward positions.

I actually feel this brighton team is better than the one he had to work with here, if he does look like relegating them while playing this kind of negative football I can''t see him lasting the season no matter how much their fans/board like him currently. I hope he does well though to be honest, I like him as a man and Brighton are a decent club, to away fans anyway.

[quote user="GJP"]I find it a bit ridiculous that Indy Bones can defend RVW like his life depends on it but describes Hughton as a "f*cking joke" tactically.

Clearly in the top 2 levels of English football Chris Hughton is a better tactician than RVW is a striker.[/quote]I''m not going into the whole RvW debate AGAIN (already had enough complaints so far), but RvW WAS a victim of Hughton''s approach, whereas the only one to blame for Hughton''s failings at this level is Hughton himself, as he simply shows ZERO faith in his players and thus forces them to play an overly defensive game for fear of getting spanked.Brighton didn''t come up last season by parking the bus, and they sure as hell won''t stay in the PL by playing that way either, you''d think he''d have learnt his lesson by now...

[quote user="Morgan"]I''m a Norwich fan why would I care about Brighton?[/quote]

Maybe because you might have a wider interest in football itself? or a discussion on whether a manager has improved/changed since making mistakes at our club?

It''s fair enough if you have no interest in anything going on outside the immediate walls of our own club, some of us do though.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]I didn''t have a problem with his defensive approach away from home or v top teams. It was when we played other smaller clubs at home and we played the same 9 men behind the ball, give it to Snodgrass so he can fall over tactics that infuriated me.....and the routine pastings we got (although that continued under Adams/Neil)

We never attacked teams at home, sure, against rubbish teams like Cardiff 2012 we had loads of attempts but i always felt we never created clear chances, only long shots and half chances the strikers had split seconds to react to/at awkward angles because there was never enough bodies or movement in forward positions.

I actually feel this brighton team is better than the one he had to work with here, if he does look like relegating them while playing this kind of negative football I can''t see him lasting the season no matter how much their fans/board like him currently. I hope he does well though to be honest, I like him as a man and Brighton are a decent club, to away fans anyway.[/quote]Or against any teams, home or away, for me. Prioritising defence is a sensible way to go. As a starting policy. If you draw all 38 games in the Premier League most seasons you will stay up. The problem, and this is borne out by statistics throughout that season, was that he stuck to this respect-the-one-point/what-we-have-we-hold approach even when losing (ie no longer having anything to hold) or not winning a must-win game.Only three times that season did Norwich come from behind to get a result (two draws and one win) and all at home, and none anywhere near the end of the season, as we slipped down the table. And you could more and more see it in the body language of players when we went behind. They knew Hughton would not switch to a more attacking policy, and they knew increasingly from experience that it wouldn''t work that way.And it was this sleepwalking to relegation, seemingly unwilling to take the slightest risk, that got him sacked, rather than the threat of relegation per se.

GJP wrote:

I find it a bit ridiculous that Indy Bones can defend RVW like his life depends on it but describes Hughton as a "f*cking joke" tactically. Clearly in the top 2 levels of English football Chris Hughton is a better tactician than RVW is a striker.

Perhaps your comment may be true for the Championship but Hughton is clearly NOT a better tactician than RvW is a striker in the Premiership.

Both failed at Norwich and RvW will not be given a second chance to redeem himself whereas Hughton will because of his Championship abilities.

He will not learn from his past tactical mistakes.

If Brighton were ruthless enough and clever enough they would have sacked him the moment they won promotion.