Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Chris and the QUALITY of the opposition!

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "It is disappointing but that is the QUALITY Manchester City have got and we know that.

Nothing much changes in this world!

Current market values according to Transfermarkt.Man City: £553millionBrighton: £64million.So yeah, he''s probably right.

He is right, but you might as well of changed the background of the advertising hoardings behind him, to more green and yellow, and you could have been transported back in time.

I thought that he had learnt from his time here, painfully obvious, that he has not.

I don''t care who the opposition is, you might think stuff like that, but under no circumstances, do you come out with such stuff. He has set a precedent for when Brighton play against similar top half teams (because they ALL have lots of money) during the rest of the season.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]He is right, but you might as well of changed the background of the advertising hoardings behind him, to more green and yellow, and you could have been transported back in time.

I thought that he had learnt from his time here, painfully obvious, that he has not.

I don''t care who the opposition is, you might think stuff like that, but under no circumstances, do you come out with such stuff. He has set a precedent for when Brighton play against similar top half teams (because they ALL have lots of money) during the rest of the season.[/quote]

Chris Hughton is a genuinely nice bloke and a very talented coach but some time with Bill Shankly would have served him well. I remember Tommy Smith telling me that when Liverpool played in Spain in the then European Cup he wandered into the opposition dressing room to explain how his team were so ''up for it''. The Spanish side had not lost a game for two years! He then returned to Liverpool''s dressing room to explain how worried the Spanish team seemed. Mind games but you can imagine the result!

Exactly DC. It is an important part of the game these days, and you do not want to say ''too much'' and give your players , any ready made excuse. You go for the max, from the start, make them feel invincible. It''s only Game 1, and Brighton players , and fans, now have that in their mentality.

That''s one of the key differences between Hughton and Wagner, one will encourage the team to focus on their strengths and play their own game, the other will simply sh@ themselves when up against any vaguely decent PL level side and put 10 men behind the ball instead whilst hoping for a draw at best...

Hughton also said there was only one way to play against a side like Man City - which obviously means just setting up shop.

I prefer the ''have a go'' (as opposed to plain gung-ho) attitude and I didn''t see any shrinking violets in that Burnley team or bench nor any obsequious comments.

Awe struck manager = awe struck team.

They were up against it yesterday but they were missing their 2 most creative players and are still after a striker.

I don''t think they will be the most entertaining side but I won''t write them off just yet. See what Knockeart and Izquierdo bring to the table and what they can do without that donkey Hemed up top.