Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The bottom line is ACTUALLY this...

Are the signings we have made good enough for this level

That, right there, is the bottom line - especially in defence wheee the clear out was biggest.

Because if the answer is no - farke''s point about learning lessons is redundant- they would learn but not be able to put the lesson to effect. The clappers point about needing time would also be redundant as time cannot sort lack of skills.

So are they good enough?

Answering my own question

I have serious doubts about the incoming players who all look L1 more than championship to me. certainly the price tags would suggest it.

Clappers who will view this as nasty. What evidence is there that this isn''t so?

I am certainly worried about the quality that we have in the squad. It represents a downgrade imo but I remain hopeful that Farke may be able to improve some via coaching. I have said elsewhere that the opening to the season has been a reality check. I remain optimistic that we will improve but can''t see us challenging the top six. I was reminded by Ricardo yesterday that it may be too early to make predictions...after only a couple of games. I am neither a clapper or wetter but other than a marked change in style I am left thinking we are making less chances following the sale of better players while the defence appears no better.

I get that some are a downgrade, but seriously let''s not consider Franke and Zimmerman a downgrade from the headless Bassong and the can''t be arsed Bennett!?

We went 1 down to a long ball that yes they should have dealt with but neither of them were at fault for goals 2 and 3

Its also worth pointing out that we''ve played 2 of the better teams in this division. Fulham were the best or 2nd bet that we played last year and Sunderland were a Prem team last season. I accept that they were relegated as the worst in the division, but the gulf between the Championship and the Prem is massive.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Answering my own question

I have serious doubts about the incoming players who all look L1 more than championship to me. certainly the price tags would suggest it.

Clappers who will view this as nasty. What evidence is there that this isn''t so?[/quote]We''ve only played 3 competitive games so it''s a bit early to jump to conclusions.

I must confess that perhaps apart from Reed who looks useful (although Tettey has other strengths of equal merit) and perhaps Gunn (although early days) I''m not sure we have signed any players who I think represent an improvement on what we had in the same positions last season.

Last season we were arguably the best attacking team in the league, the area to focus was obvious and yet we have not spent any meaningful money on the defence. I think that is pretty scandalous. If we are to spend decent money on one player between now and the end of the window it should be a defender but Webber''s comments recently on the radio suggests (worryingly) that he feels we are well stocked at CB with the 4 we have.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I get that some are a downgrade, but seriously let''s not consider Franke and Zimmerman a downgrade from the headless Bassong and the can''t be arsed Bennett!?

We went 1 down to a long ball that yes they should have dealt with but neither of them were at fault for goals 2 and 3[/quote]

Franke was at fault for goal 3. Lost his man at the far post.

Agreed. I have no idea why we tinkered with a whole revolution this season when it was obvious we were just short of two quality CB to push for promotion. But instead of signing Dijks and twocquality CB and showing a final flourish of ambition this year - we went for a reboot on a shoestring budget effectively waving the white flag and preparing for life lower down.

As it was only the second game I find it hard to judge if these guys are any good or not.

Herman yes it is early on in season but for any team at whatever level from youth football upwards at a professional club should not let a goal in like Sunderlands first

The whole defence fell asleep one long punt from a GK should be bread and butter for 3 CB''S thats the most worrying thing

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Agreed. I have no idea why we tinkered with a whole revolution this season when it was obvious we were just short of two quality CB to push for promotion. But instead of signing Dijks and twocquality CB and showing a final flourish of ambition this year - we went for a reboot on a shoestring budget effectively waving the white flag and preparing for life lower down.[/quote]If you really don''t "have any idea" why we didn''t just sign Dijks and two quality CBs to mount a push for promotion, maybe you should attempt the not too difficult task of answering your own question?

I think that DCB''s posts display a similar level of expertise that his namesake displayed throughout his NCFC career, no need to articulate this any further hopefully.

I''m gonna disagree with you Jim, that was one hell of a ball from McGeady and very few would have or could have dealt with it.

Ball should never have been given away nor should McGeady have had so much time to get the cross in.

A lot of our problems are basic errors, eradicate those and for a lot of yesterday we looked the better side, however, looking the better side and not winning is no use to any of us!

Up until Sunderland scored the possession was dominated by us, we have to turn that dominance into more though and we need a striker who is always making the opposing centre half think, ala Vardy. And no before anyone thinks I''m suggesting it, I said ala Vardy and not Vardy