Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Yes. Early days. But does it come down to this?

Our German centre-half''s will have had little or no experience of typical English football which is direct and comprises a lot of balls fired in which result in aerial challenges.

I think Timm Klose alluded to the physicality of games and for all of his quality on the ball also struggled to come to terms with this aspect of English football.

At Fulham we met a side who liked to pass and play. Against Swindon we met a more typical side who exposed us with set pieces and showed how we struggle against crosses into the box. And today the long ball and the set piece undone us again from a side who played against us as so many will: sit back, let us pass the ball around in front of them and then hit us on breaks and set pieces.

I heard talk today about Michael Nelson. What the people were looking to was the typical British centre half prepared to go in with his head where it hurts. We don''t have that kind of player at the Club.

Part of the conundrum of The Championship and The Premiership is the entirely different type of player needed in both. We have no Championship style centre half''s.

We also have a manager who is similarly on a steep learning curve for this league.

We will continue to leak goals in this fashion unless the German boys can adapt to going in strongly in headed challenges because that is exactly what QPR will test them with on Wednesday.

This is our Achilles heel and everyone knows it. Daniel Farke talked statistics after the game but they are irrelevant if the opposition are prepared to wait for the situation we clearly struggle to cope with.

To be honest, I would have taken a 0 - 0 today because it would have meant a clean sheet. We are going to need a lot of those if we are to have a chance this season.

And because of the likelihood of the opposition sitting deep I would not start Cameron Jerome in home games because IMO he is more effective when the game is stretched or the opposition more committed.

For a long time we have been crying out for new centre half''s and have changed the personnel in that department this season. The question is: are the replacements suitable for this league in style and it has to be said, in quality?

Nelson is a great example. We need that stereotypical British CB to put his body on the line, put his head in where it hurts. At the minute it seems more about trying to play pretty

Did anyone hear Farke''s waffle when interviewed? Sounded like a man who had been caught rumbling his best mates wife and had to quick talk his way out of it... badly.

His talk of possession and dominance and then contradicting himself by saying goals wins games really did not have me feeling great.

Back onto the CB, we sold our best "Old Fashioned" CB to Wolves.

I don''t think the CB are as much of an issue as people make out, they will learn and quickly. More worried about 3 strikers on the books with 1 being on his way out, 1 being over the hill and the other being a dud.

I am astonished Farke thought that was a good performance today! I wonder what he would think was truly poor?

Agree about the post match comments. Worried me that he was relatively happy and that he thought we would just score as we had more of the ball

Yes it''s early but he needs to wise up fast. You can have 99% possession and still lose. Game play was far to slow only sped up when Wes came on and by than we were buggered !

The first 35 minutes were very good from City apart from getting a goal, but once the centre backs let Grabban through we went downhill until another strong flurry in the last 10-15 pretty much once wes came on.

I thought we might be in for a lot of drawn games under Farke given his record with the Dortmund 2nd team, did not lose many but did not win the league, carry on like this and it will be a lot of defeats. I can see what the ethos is, keep hold of the ball, trouble is you have to score to win games. I am concerned that teams will soon learn that the way to beat Norwich is nick a goal and concede two thirds of the pitch to us and let play our lovely sideways, possession football......

Are the centre halfs suitable for this league?
Why wouldn''t they be? What''s different about them? They look like centre halfs

to me. Especially Zimmerman. In fact they look the same as other centre halfs

in this league. What different qualities do centre halfs need for this league?

We got promoted out of this league with Bassong, Martin and Turner with a pinch

of Bennett. So they were good enough and the right type.
I never did understand British Rail having problems with the wrong type of snow either.
Let''s give them a chance.

Wes Morgan and Robert Huth won the PL league with leicester by basic defending if it is anywhere near the danger area clear and defend first look pretty keep the ball was second on the list

No nonsense defending clearing the ball and reshaping is just as effective than trying to play the ball out of defence

[quote user="lincoln canary"]It''s not the centre halfs that are solely to blame. Our midfield is too lightweight and offers no protection. Not one of them can tackle or bully the opposition. We''ll play plenty of pretty football, but ultimately be picked off by teams like sunderland today.[/quote]Agree that our midfield looks lightweight in general, but Reed can certainly tackle and bully, and Tettey (albeit as backup). Unfortunate we lost Thompson to a long-term injury, as he definitely loves a tackle.