Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

iFollow for Sunderland

I''ve got the iFollow Gizmo, but haven''t been able to work out whether the Sunderland game is on it. I am assuming that the game is on Sky... does that prevent it being on iFollow? Don''t want to have to resort to the dreaded stream... last Saturday cut out entirely with 10 minutes to go....missed goal and all that went after it...

Anyone know the answer? Thanks

From what someone said last week, it''s only unavailable if it''s already being broadcast in your location.

Article here as well:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/august/sunderland-ifollow/

Hi FTHA...As far as I know, the game isn''t on Sky. Only reason it''s been moved is because Sunderland played in the Cup on Wednesday.IFollow is going to be tricky. Even if one uses a VPN the issue is paying for games, or the service. If the payment comes from a UK bank account it might be that they just don''t allow the person trying to sign up to have the service. Obviously, if using a VPN, the IP address will look different but they can tell someone is trying to watch it in UK as they would have paid with a UK account.Hope that helps.

I''m sure plenty of ex-pats have UK bank accounts? Don''t see why that would be a factor.

Presumably you can legitimately use it if there''s a game while you''re on holiday for example, but paid for in advance from UK.

https://www.efl.com/broadcast-schedule/

It is not on the list of ineligible games so should be available.

It does not work with a VPN

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]I''m sure plenty of ex-pats have UK bank accounts? Don''t see why that would be a factor.

Presumably you can legitimately use it if there''s a game while you''re on holiday for example, but paid for in advance from UK.[/quote]I''m speaking from experience! Trust me... It causes issues. Those issues may be able to be resolved, of course, but the problem is certainly with the UK bank account payments. My friend works in Holland a fair bit and should be able to legit watch when over there. But he had the same problems I''ve just described.

Yep, things like iTunes also restrict people''s access to certain products by using which country their bank account is based in.

While it may mean that there are a few people who are blocked who don''t really need to be, it stops loads of people using VPNs to get around region restrictions.

Didn''t try UK account with ifollow but generally found with sports rights need credit/debit from appropriate country and no VPN.

Currently in Spain so signed up for a month paying with a UK account. Will see if it works I guess!

There is a lot of incorrect information in this post so thought I''d set the record straight. It doesn''t matter if you use a UK bank account but you must register using a non uk ip address. Also a vpn does work

I think people are only saying firstly UK bank accounts may be a risk because they don''t work with other service providers and it certainly may come up with a message that does not work with VPN but that may be dependent on service provider and settings. If using as intended with overseas account and overseas with no VPN there is no risk.

So, putting the result/performance aside for a moment... Did people in the U.K. get iFollow to work?

I did, although it was a pain in the backside to do so. It''s a woefully inept setup. My dad is working abroad and tried to watch it. He endured several calls to iFollow before finally getting to watch the game. It''s not exactly user friendly.

On my stream there was a really long lag in the audio too which made it all feel very surreal.

Mine worked fine. The quality of video is really good although I would prefer to have a commentary as well. I tried to watch on my laptop and listen on my mobile but it was one or the other. I guess you can''t have two streams under one account.

Very poor presentation  unable to name players, no commentary, no closeups, no replays of incidents not good value at all. would have been better to  have used the  the audio system of old.

Yep, I got it working too - no audio commentary and didn''t dare try and mess with it too much to try and get that going simultaneously. Struggled with it freezing and being horrific quality on wifi but I plugged my laptop into my router and picture immediately went HD but was still a little bit laggy, but perfectly watchable.

I also tried the phone and computer commentary work around but not in sync and cut out as not allowed 2 users on same account. But someone was smart enough to come up and share this solution on another thread which not absolutely perfect works well.

There is a work around, if you''re on a comp. Whilst watching the video, right click on "listen live now" and click ''open in new tab'' make sure you''ve clicked "live" on the video, and the video and commentary will link up.

Yes the links could be more obvious and the commentary should be in the video commentary sound settings and there is just one camera with no replays but it actually works fine once you figure it out after the usual IT initial problems and work arounds and is good value. Just needs a little patience and look around first time you use it.

Great to be able to watch football while travelling although I fear it may be a masochist pleasure based on the first neat but ineffective performance.

I live in the States and got up at 5.30am to watch and was well pissed off. No commentary which doesn''t sound so bad until you actually watch it when you''ve just got a muffled sound of crowd. I also tried phone at same time as tablet but wouldn''t allow. No replays, no timer, no bugger all and only one camera which spent more time looking at the corner flag than the game !!!

See the commentary solution above. It works fine. No it is not perfect. and it is not Sky but then it is not Sky prices and same camera work as for highlights previosuly so what I expected for the money. I can now watch something I could not get before. I think it is great once you work it out but then again I expected some problems first time. I would certainly recommend for expat fans. I guess some people are never happy.

I agree with T. Even without the audio etc, the option to watch the game for £5.50 (or $7 because I ''was watching from the usa'' nudge nudge wink wink) is still decent value in my book