Sign in to follow this  
Steve Mortlock

GET BEHIND THE TEAM OR STAY AWAY.

First and foremost, well done to the lads for their win against the Binners on Sunday.  Now for the main point of my message. 

Goal aside, I think Darren Huckerby has been consistently poor this season.  I have been lamented many a time for my criticism of him ,but remain dis-pleased at his lack of application.   I was sitting in a part of the cattle shed at the weekend where I was almost removed after getting into an argument with a fellow fan.

Fellow fan at half time "What do you reckon of that, a load of S wasnt it?

Me: What game are you watching mate, I thought we looked very good. 

The conversation went on with the guy telling me how we should have had 4 or 5 by now.  Me telling him that he should stop playing FIFA as the ball cannot always magnetically stick to the foot of its recipient and we arent going to score with every attack. 

Upon reflection I realise that there are may people wandering around with their head in the clouds.  Expecting to beat teams 4 or 5 nil every time. 

Perhaps if you all focussed your energies on getting behind the team they might just get somewhere.  Players cannot respond positively to jeering when the ball is lost or umming and arring when a well intended pass goes astray. 

I would urge people to read the entire game and not just look at who is passing the ball to who.  Our play is clever and inventful but doesnt always come off.  Watch some of the off ball runs that are being made and how 3 dimensional our play has become (since the days of hoof it to Iwan).  There is no half arsedness about the entire team.  We seem to press teams into mistakes alot more that we have ever done. 

The players are working their nads off and getting booed and jeered for it from their own fans. 

Unless people unite behind the lads we can forget the prem.  If we all get behind them, we can be back where we want to be.  BELIEVE

STev

What  do you call " application " Mortlock ?   Hucks came on  , and 6 minutes later he scores a goal    ,,  if THAT isn`t application I don`t know what is !    explain  what you mean eh .... like , do you expect him to  throw himself all over the field [ like McKenzie ]  and look all impressive , with zilch to show for it ? 

People have the right to support their team however they chose.

Relief. That was my reaction to the Ipswich result. They are playing rubbish, and so are we. We won 1-0 against ten men, but we won. And thank god. Derby games are always an exception. So let''s not read too much into it.

Let''s hope the players draw confidence from it, develop as a team, and improve drastically on what has gone before. Because make no mistake, we have been very, very poor so far this season. If quality and consistency are not forthcoming we will be back to where we were before the Ipswich game. Staring relegation, not promotion, in the face.

I''ll be there, cheering the team on as always. But I will never switch my brain off at a football match. If the quality of the football I am watching is atrocious, I will describe it as such.