Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

I am not buying into this Farke hype

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]Awful ineffective football

Get the Messiah back[/quote]Says the man seen leaving the game early yesterday.

Agreed. The team / individual players have a lot of shaping up to do. Some parts of yesterday''s game were worrying, in part because it reminded us of some of the same weaknesses as last year. But, wow, how the general tide of opinion has turned. The more extreme views will probably stay quite constant. The ''False Dawn'' brigade will say ''told you so'' and the less critical folks may just say ''we played some lovely possession football''. But the general feeling after Fulham was majorly positive. The feeling after yesterday majorly negative. Some good reasons for some concerns. But I feel like we''ve all been in The Titanic. Last week after Fulham we were setting out optimistically from port and this week we''re sinking. It''s not the change of tone, but the extent of that change. The extent of the anger. Everyone is entitled to it, but it doesn''t half feel extreme. There were times last season when I vented and gnashed re what was going on, but after one game, and after the positives of Fulham? Scarily unbalanced.

There''s no getting away from the fact this change was needed and on paper Webber / Farke was the right move IMO, but unfortunately we''re trying to do it all on such a tight budget we''ve got to accept the standard of the players in aren''t any better than what''s been released, just a damn sight cheaper on wages.

Always said this squad has goals in them we have potential going forward but the back is still not great, hopefully our new Germans will settle and once Klose, Toffolo & Pinto are all match fit the back line might tighten up.

Just think had we done this last season when Neil should have gone after relegation and Moxey debacle, had we given Farke 20 million to spend pretty sure we''d be seeing a fair step up in class of player signed.

We just need to get our owners to backtrack and accept investment from wherever it''s offered.

For the level of investment we need the investor would want some degree of control. The owners have made it very clear that will never happen while they draw breath so rummaging in the bargain basement lucky dip bin will be the focus in future.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]For the level of investment we need the investor would want some degree of control. The owners have made it very clear that will never happen while they draw breath so rummaging in the bargain basement lucky dip bin will be the focus in future.[/quote]
But you''ve been saying this for over 10 years Crafty and as yet the future has never turned out the way you predicted.

Those dirty Southampton owners now sold their souls to the Chinese I see. I bet the Southampton fans are devastated that they''ll never have their owners eating in the pub with them!

Still I''m sure they might cope with that.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 14/08/2017 5:59 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:

For the level of investment we need the investor would want some degree of control. The owners have made it very clear that will never happen while they draw breath so rummaging in the bargain basement lucky dip bin will be the focus in future.

But you''ve been saying this for over 10 years Crafty and as yet the future has never turned out the way you predicted.

Ah, but it was only last January that the old girl and boy came clean and admitted they have never intended selling the club and are going to leave it to nepotism Tom.

All that money spent on consultants to find investment was wasted. There was a time when money didn''t warp the prospects of success and whilst we may share the owners longing for those days (or may not as the case may be) they are long gone and so are our long term prospects as a club. The most likely scenario now is that we shall be a middling Championship club.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 14/08/2017 5:59 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:

Ah, but it was only last January that the old girl and boy came clean and admitted they have never intended selling the club and are going to leave it to nepotism Tom.

All that money spent on consultants to find investment was wasted. There was a time when money didn''t warp the prospects of success and whilst we may share the owners longing for those days (or may not as the case may be) they are long gone and so are our long term prospects as a club. The most likely scenario now is that we shall be a middling Championship club.[/quote]A statement Michael Wynn Jones clarified soon afterwards, as the EDP reported:He stressed that the intention was to warn against the pitfalls of

foreign ownership, not dismiss any kind of interest, but realised the

comments may have come across as “dogmatic”.

Exactly, Nutty. Like most fans I believed the owners were serious about seeking investors who met their criteria even though I felt their criteria were going to be unlikely to be met. Once their obfuscation was laid bare in January the club''s future became clear. MWJ''s ''clarification'' seemed like can attempt to close the bag again having let the cat out.

It''s good that you have finally found enlightenment on the issue.

The sort of football Farke is looking to play requires patience. It follows that the fans need to be patient too.

You''ll have to remind me of those posts over the past ten years before January where you expected them to be successful then Crafty. I''m sure theyre there i just need a little help locating them....

FenwayFrank, if the board sat tight with Alex Neil then they''ll have to do the same with Farke. There might be unrest but there isn''t much else of an option for the forseeable future.

It depends on what some fans, supporters or customers see as success?

I mean some on here wish to see the Chinese millions, others are happy with owners who don''t invest their own money but run the club in the black by selling assets and hoping we do a Huddersfield.

So if selling the likes of Maddison and Pritchard next year to balance the books is measured as success then fine.

There''s never any guarantee of success in staying as we are or new investment but after so many years of this ownership we find ourselves back to square 1, championship and running up debts needing to sell players to balance the books.

What do people see as success then, how about you guys?

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 14/08/2017 8:45 PM:

You''ll have to remind me of those posts over the past ten years before January where you expected them to be successful then Crafty. I''m sure theyre there i just need a little help locating them....

Try reading my last post again Nutty but this time carefully. I didn''t say I expected them to be successful just that I believed they were willing to sell to suitable investors. As my post states I didn''t believe their criteria for investors would be met. Of course, the January interview made all clear.

All clear now?

There''s far more about owning and supporting a football club then simply measuring success by league position. For those who only care about league position the gamble is at least clear cut in that all you have to worry about is the chances that our league position would be improved by whatever new owner took on Wynnies train set. To make a guess at those chances I would say no more than 50/50.

So what about the new owners running the club to benefit the community in the same way it is at present. What are the chances of that? I would say no where near 50/50.

A wise thing to do would be to ask Ken Ozanne about his lot down the road. But I would say there''s nearly 100% chance new owners would improve both league position and improve benefits in the community. Unfortunately it''s unlikely any new owners would go near Evans train wreck.

Not really Crafty because the situation hasn''t really changed. All that''s changed is that this trust will have the final say. Your view of our owners wouldn''t change whatever happened to the club as has been proved.

I couldn''t give a toss about your constant reference Nuts, but what you''re on about is just widening the posts to cater for our current owners.

So you measure success by Delia playing Jenga with the locals at a local get together and eating with the commoners when on away days........?

To keep measuring yourself against the binners is really setting the bar very low. A real shame for the club that we''re unlikely to see the Smith reign over for a long time.

Sad really as the structure is now in place, with funds we might actually have a far better chance of becoming a far stronger club in all aspects.

[quote user="Indy"]I couldn''t give a toss about your constant reference Nuts, but what you''re on about is just widening the posts to cater for our current owners.

So you measure success by Delia playing Jenga with the locals at a local get together and eating with the commoners when on away days........?

To keep measuring yourself against the binners is really setting the bar very low. A real shame for the club that we''re unlikely to see the Smith reign over for a long time.

Sad really as the structure is now in place, with funds we might actually have a far better chance of becoming a far stronger club in all aspects.[/quote]
I wasn''t even considering playing Jenga or any other fan''s groups. You were talking about that. I was talking about the difference the club makes to the community.
I mentioned the binners because of your Ken Ozanne history. Nothing else. I could have measured us against clubs with Chinese ownership couldn''t I?

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 14/08/2017 10:26 PM:

Not really Crafty because the situation hasn''t really changed. All that''s changed is that this trust will have the final say. Your view of our owners wouldn''t change whatever happened to the club as has been proved.

Nor will yours Nutty. So my opinion is just as valid as yours, after all as you once stated, having an opinion is never wrong.

No need to sh it the bid its early days - patience is key. No point chopping ans changing gaffers every season stick with Farke for 3 years and the results will follow.

Patience is absolutely the key. It''s a long term project, lots of new players and staff who need time to bed in.

One loss doesn''t mean we are sh!te just as one win won''t make us world beaters.

Pre-season was too kind, we should have been tonked in it by one of the teams to calm everyone down.

I''d rather be smacked early than do an Adams or Neil get off to a flyer and be done half way through the autumn.