Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Proposed Transfer Window Changes

Interesting to read Premier League clubs are to vote at the beginning of September (after the current window closes of course) about shortening the summer window to close before the season kicks off.

The change would stop clubs signing players once the season begins, but would not stop selling players.

Obviously this has no direct effect on the Championship, but I''ve no doubt the rules will in time be changed to match those of the Premier League should the change be approved.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I understand where the idea has come from, so many players throwing their toys out the pram over transfers. Barkley at Everton, Costa at Chelsea to name a few so it might help teams settle and stop the disruptions once the season begins. However, I would certainly miss the silly start to the season, and the magic of transfer deadline day across the UK.

It will never take off unless its a Europe-wide thing, its as simple as that.

Lets take the Coutinho saga at Liverpool. They would sell him, but not be able to replace him until January. If they refuse to sell him, he may ''do a Costa'' and just refuse to play for 6 months.

Why would the Premier League want to do something that makes us weaker compared to the other major leagues in Europe?

Makes you wonder why most of the Premiership clubs put it forward. I think it''s because they simply don''t want to loose players after the season start.

[quote user="AJ"]Interesting to read Premier League clubs are to vote at the beginning of September (after the current window closes of course) about shortening the summer window to close before the season kicks off.

The change would stop clubs signing players once the season begins, but would not stop selling players.

Obviously this has no direct effect on the Championship, but I''ve no doubt the rules will in time be changed to match those of the Premier League should the change be approved.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I understand where the idea has come from, so many players throwing their toys out the pram over transfers. Barkley at Everton, Costa at Chelsea to name a few so it might help teams settle and stop the disruptions once the season begins. However, I would certainly miss the silly start to the season, and the magic of transfer deadline day across the UK.[/quote]Not sure the Championship would want to change. It would stop the Premier League buying Championship players once the PL season had started, while still giving the opportunity to buy/loan from the PL.On the other hand, if the Championship fell into line, it would mean that we would - in this case - know we could not lose Oliveira to Wolves. At least until January.

Will lead to even higher transfer fees and Premier League clubs leaving themselves vulnerable to losing players from teams in Europe.

If the Prem do it, they will try to force the EFL to follow suit - through threatening to reduce the amount of ''solidarity'' money.

Doing it the season after a World Cup also seems foolish - there will be less than a month between the tournament finishing and the league beginning. It will result in a lot of business attempted in a very short space of time - driving up prices and increasing player''s power.

Very surprised a majority of clubs are supporting this.

Kind of backs up my post recently about how disruptive the window is to clubs at the start of the season. No reason why we shouldn''t have our own window dates, regardless of any issues, it''s then a level playing field for everyone in this country.  If it cause issues with european players and transfers abroad, well tough - the positives of having a settled squad at the start of a season outweighs any of that and if the PL votes for it, I only hope the EFL follows suit. as it is at the moment, it defies all logic in terms of team develpment at the very time it is needed most.  

It''d be my personal preference to scrap the January transfer window as well.

The January window can bring an element of unfairness to the league. Say Team X bought in three or four worldies at the end of the January transfer window. Team Y have already played Team X and got 6 points from them; however, Team Z have only played them once and are in a relegation scrap with Team Y. They play the new, improved Team X in March and lose. They get relegated by finishing a point behind Team Y.

You can argue quite solidly that it was by virtue of good fortune with the fixture lists that Team Y have survived.

You should assemble your squad before the season starts and see it out until the season finishes in my humble opinion.

[quote user="canarydan23"]You should assemble your squad before the season starts and see it out until the season finishes in my humble opinion.[/quote]Which in essence means that clubs with less financial clout, can easily get screwed if 2-3 key players have longer term injuries, as they won''t have the quality on bench to adequately replace them, and they also can''t go out and buy suitable cover either...Works great if you''re Chelsea, Man City et al, not so good for many other clubs however, especially the further down the leagues you go.Imagine if both Jerome AND Nelson got badly injured after the summer window shuts (maybe both get ACL injuries etc), we''d be left hoping that players such as Naismith, Watkins and Murphy could do a good enough job for the rest of the season, whereas if it happened now, we could still go and get another player before the window shuts AND have the Jan window to make a further change if needed/possible.

Should definitely be brought in prior to the season starting in all leagues, nothing worse than not knowing if players are going to stay or leave after the season starts

I''m with you canarydan.

For years I''ve been advocating a change and cannot understand why it is not enforced. Bring an important element of sport back into the equation and also bring it into line with normal life.

Have no transfer window. Players are free to move at anytime. However, you have to be registered in the squad before a start to any competition, any cup or league game, if not you can''t play in that competition. I''d go so far to include the management team. You can''t bring in anyone new once the competition has started. You can get rid but you would have to replace with someone registered from within.

I think it could offer up a bit of excitement.

Surely would make sense to not necessarily shorten the window but just move it earlier? Window officially opens July 1st until the end of August; yet deals get arranged in advance of that anyhow (I seem to recall we had a pre-contract deal signed with Marley Watkins in late May, for example, but he couldn''t officially sign until July) - So why not just change the window dates back a month, make it June 1st-July 31st, or the day before the first game of the season?

You could even say July 31st is the deadline and require squads to be registered by that date, but then allow all clubs one ''emergency'' transfer within August replacing a registered player, to get around any problems of injuries or key players lost in the first few matches of the season.

Something needs to tip the balance back in favour of the clubs. The Coutinho saga has my blood boiling, and I''m not even a Liverpool fan! he signed a 5 year contract in March for God''s sake!