Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Team for QPR...

Is that really a surprise? we have spent the summer buying defenders who prefer a three to the more traditional british back 4.

But it wont be a surprise to see Holloway target us with plenty of route one balls and crosses. At least conor washington isnt renowned for his aerial ability - who is their second striker?

I can assure you 100% Tettey s Jig that Oliveria wont start tonight.

The match is tomorrow! 😋😋👍

[quote user="king canary"]Gunn

Pinto, Zimmerman, Franke, Husband

Reed

Wildschut, Maddison, Wes, Murphy

Nelson[/quote]

Looks fair to me although I would prefer a box to box mid in place of either wes or maddison.

Whats this Stiepermann guy like? Is he that guy

It''s going to be a squad rotation kind of season and Stiepermann a good left field player so -                          Gunn

Martin Franke Zimmerman

Pinto             Reed          Stiepermann              Maddison   Naismith                        Jerome 

Lakey - I think Farke has hinted that Wes will start tomorrow and also think Nelson will start

[quote user="Diane"]Lakey - I think Farke has hinted that Wes will start tomorrow and also think Nelson will start[/quote]Ahh, right. It will be interesting to see who make way for Wes......

Conor Washington not renowned for his aerial ability? Nor are Grabban and Vaughan but they both beat our pub centre backs every time on Sunday!

going on the assumption that a back three is the formation being bedded in:

Gunn

Martin Zimmermann Franke

Pinto Husband

Reed Tettey

Maddison

Jerome Oliviera

Unlikely we''ll see Reed & Tettey partnered, likewise Cam & Nelson. However above formation/selection looks solid around the middle where Farke clearly wants the play & movement; it allows for width using Pinto & Husband with Reed/Tettey shielding; the front three all bring various qualities providing different threats; it has great flexibility allowing an easy transition to a different tactical formation during the game in the event of injuries/red cards and substitutions with the likes of Wes, Naismith, Murphy, Wildschut, Vrancic & Watkins to bring on against a tiring defence.

I can''t believe autocorrect spelt reed as Naismith haha.

How did you spell Maddison jools? Surely he has to be in the side?

If Wes is up to full match fitness he has to start. Also Oliviera is a starter in my book, we need goals tonight, Jerome for all his work has to start on the bench tonight.

We have to move that ball faster in transition from back to front, get in front then play the passing game great.

Think Oliveira is key. He will drop off & link up the play around their box, bringing other players back into play. Jerome just isn''t that style of player - we looked lost as soon as near got near Sunderlands box on Sunday

The stats from last season show that Jerome is much better at setting up chances for other players than Nelson. Jerome had the joint 2nd highest number of assists, alongside Pritchard and Howson. That element of his game should not be under estimated and it what, I suspect, is why Farke initially went with him in the team.

Oliveira tends to shoot at almost any chance he gets, which does mean that potentially opportunities go begging as he belts it from 35 yards rather than building a move. But that selfishness is part of the reason he is an effective goal scorer and at the moment Norwich need someone to finish the moves the domination of possession are creating.

Bethnal - it would be interesting to see the stats but I suspect that quite a lot of those Jerome assists came in away games where we had a bit more space to play on the counter.

For me he is more suited to that scenario than he is to the sort of situation we had with Sunderland where they sat deep and allowed us to play in front of them which I suspect is what we will also get from QPR tonight. Defenders also know with Jerome in tight situations 25-30 yards out that he''s unlikely to turn them and try a shot.

I think, therefore, that there should be ample opportunity for both this season but at home, I believe Oliveira is more suited to how we are now playing and I also think he is the better finisher (I know the stats suggest there is little difference in terms of conversion ratios but Nelson shoots from all over the shop so has more shots and based on watching both players I know which one I would pick if my life depended on them scoring a half chance) and to get our season going we need to make sure we take any chances we get tonight and ideally get our noses in front.

Our problem with the Sunderland game was that we went behind. Had we got the first goal (and I still cannot believe how little mention there has been of that horrific penalty decision we did not get) then I think we would have won comfortably and with our new possession based style I think teams are going to find it hard to come back against us this season if we do get our noses in front because we should be able to control games better,

5 assists at home and 2 away for Jerome last season and roughly equal amount of chances created both home and away.

Nelson had a conversion rate of 16% to Jerome''s 19% last season. Given that most strikers sit between 10% to 25%, a 3% difference is small but not insignificant. If you look at just shots taken within the penalty area Jerome had a conversion rate of 22% to Nelson''s 18%. Again it is still difficult to draw a final conclusion from this as even from within the box the likelihood of scoring from different areas fluctuates greatly.

I would also point out that Nelson''s numbers from when he was at Forest were significantly worse than last season (his conversion rate was 9% overall, 14.5% inside the box). There is a chance he was having a hot streak last season, when you consider his minutes only totalled up to 15 games then it isn''t a huge sample size.

The Jerome v Nelson debate will probably rage on all season, and it is very much a horses for courses situation for me. I think against Sunderland Norwich could have used his more selfish approach, but he wasn''t a significant improvement on Jerome when he came off the bench.

I am not convinced that the result tonight hinges on Nelson or Jerome at all and will be happy whichever starts tbh. Will be amusing & infuriating in equal measure to watch another outpouring of grief should Jerome start.

More critical is both the ability to create clearer chances from the possession we will have and how robust/improved we can be when the team, not just the back three, are defending.

I was hoping to see Vrancic in action on Sunday as I''m yet to see him play. Anyone think I''m likely to get a glimpse tonight or has he not been worthy of a place?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]5 assists at home and 2 away for Jerome last season and roughly equal amount of chances created both home and away.

Nelson had a conversion rate of 16% to Jerome''s 19% last season. Given that most strikers sit between 10% to 25%, a 3% difference is small but not insignificant. If you look at just shots taken within the penalty area Jerome had a conversion rate of 22% to Nelson''s 18%. Again it is still difficult to draw a final conclusion from this as even from within the box the likelihood of scoring from different areas fluctuates greatly.

I would also point out that Nelson''s numbers from when he was at Forest were significantly worse than last season (his conversion rate was 9% overall, 14.5% inside the box). There is a chance he was having a hot streak last season, when you consider his minutes only totalled up to 15 games then it isn''t a huge sample size.

The Jerome v Nelson debate will probably rage on all season, and it is very much a horses for courses situation for me. I think against Sunderland Norwich could have used his more selfish approach, but he wasn''t a significant improvement on Jerome when he came off the bench.[/quote]

I stand corrected and am surprised at that.

Are there any stats re the teams general performance with the two players starting (i.e. do we tend to score more goals with one or the other or does it make no difference)?

Based purely on my own take on watching the games I feel we look a more dangerous team and less predictable when Oliveira is playing even though I think Jerome is more of a team player. Don''t get me wrong I rate Jerome and would have been livid had he been sold. he will be important for us this season of that I have no doubt.

[quote user="ZLF"]I am not convinced that the result tonight hinges on Nelson or Jerome at all and will be happy whichever starts tbh. Will be amusing & infuriating in equal measure to watch another outpouring of grief should Jerome start.

More critical is both the ability to create clearer chances from the possession we will have and how robust/improved we can be when the team, not just the back three, are defending.[/quote]

I would like Oliveira to start but for me the really important issue is whether Wes starts. Perhaps until Pritchard finally established himself at the end of last season we have always tended to perform a lot worse without Wes in the side and with the general consensus being that we need to pass and move more quickly in the final third in comparison to Sunday I would be very disappointed if he''s not in the starting line up tonight.

Speaking to a coach from colney on Monday he rates QPR team more than Sunderland !

so which ever team we pick i hope they play better than sunday !

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Speaking to a coach from colney on Monday he rates QPR team more than Sunderland ![/quote]Probably Richard Money after he''d heard he''d got the chop. [:)]

As it''s a home game I''d like to see a 4-1-4-1 formation again as I think it''s suits our players better, I''d go for:

Gunn; Pinto, Zimmerman, France, Husband; Reed; Murphy, Maddison, Vrancic, Hoolahan; Oliviera.

Subs: McGovern, Martin, Tettey, Naismith, Wildschut, Watkins, Jerome.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It''s going to be a squad rotation kind of season and Stiepermann a good left field player so -                          Gunn

Martin Franke Zimmerman

Pinto             Reed          Stiepermann              Maddison   Naismith                        Jerome 

[/quote]

Hope that''s not the starting line-up, we need 11 to start

Jim - the win %, points per game and goals scored are roughly the same which ever of the two players starts.

For me, Nelson has an eye for the spectacular that we all love to see, but our love for that artificially inflates his actual ability and worth to the team.

[quote user="trabant"][quote user="lake district canary"]It''s going to be a squad rotation kind of season and Stiepermann a good left field player so -                          Gunn

Martin Franke Zimmerman

[/quote]

Hope that''s not the starting line-up, we need 11 to start[/quote]

[:D]  Actually, that team still looks strong to me, even with just 10 men!  I''ll add Vrancic to that to make it super strong!

[quote user="Making Plans"]Any starting XI that doesn''t include Martin, Tettey or Jerome would be a step in the right direction.[/quote]We have a chance then