Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v QPR

The manager chose a fine late summer night to show us that he isn''t scared to ring the changes. Wes, Josh, Olly, Pinto and Vrancic all made starts and set me to thinking, is this rotation or just Tinkerman. I guess time will give us the answer to that.With City defending the River End as usual, it was rather a scrappy start and a complete contrast to Sunday with players diving in and balls going long. The visitors had no intention of sitting back and were the first to look dangerous when a cross from the right was only half cleared but the shot from the edge of the box was high and wide. City were finding it hard to make headway with Rangers pressing high and when Vrancic was clearly fouled in the 6th minute, the ref waved play on, Rangers broke clear and Gunn had to leap to his right to parry a goal bound effort. At the other end Olly didn''t quite have the pace to reach Vrancic''s cute through ball.With ten minutes on the clock Wes finally got into the action with some neat passing down the right before slipping Oliviera in at a narrow angle only for the big striker to hammer the ball into the side netting. City were by no means having it all their own way but by the twenty minute mark they were beginning to make decent chances. Murphy galloped in from the left and his low shot was blocked away. Vrancic sent in a nice free kick that Franke connected with only for Smithies to paw it away from danger.City were now exerting a measure of control and but could not nail it down as twice in a few seconds the ball was hooked away from almost on the line as Murphy shot from the left and Vrancic from the right. Then in a lovely move Wes appeared to set up Maddison only for his effort to be diverted for a corner. As the half drew to a close ref Langford again missed a foul on Husband and Jamie Makie''s header was only a foot wide.The disappointment of not being deservedly in front at the half was soon tempered when Pinto broke down the right in the 47th minute and in a neat passing move with Olly and Wes, Vrancic found Olly as he moved into the QPR box and curled a low shot round Smithies for the opening goal. A class goal, taken with all the calmness of a top striker. He might have had a second minutes later but skied horribly from 20 yards when Vrancic again found him in space.For the next twenty minutes the visitors battled back and had a couple of chances, first when Freeman shot straight at Gunn and again when Gunn made a double save as Lua Lua threatened a goal. Pinto limped off just after the hour and was replaced by Martin as the City defence held on looking reasonably assured, despite conceding a fair amount of possession. In rare attacks at the other end Murphy flashed a couple of efforts across goal but was obviously tiring when Farke replaced him with Watkins on 80 minutes. City needed a second goal to settle the nerves and it came on 82 minutes when Wes squared to Reed who had plenty of time and space to make ten yards before unleashing a rocket that beat Smithies all ends up from 22 yards.With the points virtually sealed, Stieperman came on for Olly who milked the applause with a long slow walk to the touchline. In the dying moments Smithies prevented further embarrassment with a fine diving save from Frankes header while Maddison and Vrancic also went close.A good win against a decent QPR side with Reed my MOM and special mentions for Vrancic and Husband who I thought had his best game yet for us at left back. Amazing the difference a few days make.

I''ve been waiting for your report as an exile so thanks Ricardo. But I wanted to know if we have now our two key CBs we have so badly missed these last few years? I read that Zimmerman and Franke had some great presence.

Thought Gunn was terrific tonight - definitely kept us in the match and looked secure. But they all played their part. You can''t buy the confidence that tonight must give the team going forwards.

Reed and Zimmermann were the picks.

Vrancic had a ropey first half but much better in the second.

But generally the boys fought all night and played some decent stuff.

Thanks.

Yes Nelson did milk the applause and good on him, he needs it.

Hopefully that crowd reaction will convince him to stay with us and be a local hero.

Good report as usual, I noticed that the two centre backs played a different game to the way they played on Sunday. Far less slow passing to each other, do you think this was a deliberate ploy or because QPR pressed higher and quicker than Sunderland?

Thanks Ricardo...spot on about MoM...this fellow is gonna be a great (loan) signing for us, as is Gunn.

I was especially impressed by how mature he looked in possession and positioning.

Defense played much better than against Black Cats , Franke got stuck in and showed some teeth.

Sonyc

Yes, the CB pairing looked much more at ease last night. I think they played the ball much quicker than v Sunderland largely because QPR didn''t sit back.

Vrancic, impressed me greatly. He uses the ball well and has a great eye for a pass. Not scared to have a go when the opportunity presents itself either.

[quote user="Cosmic Twin"]Thanks for another great report, Ricardo.

What did you think of Vrančić?[/quote]
Vrančić was every bit as impressive as your meticulous use of accents CT! Kudos [Y]

Thanks Ricardo! I''m hoping Vrančić will have a very good season.

Thanks also westcoastcanary! Accents are very important! 😉