Sign in to follow this  
0King Juan of SpainddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Norwich v Northampton - match thread

Three at the back tonight?

WARD; SHACKELL, FLEMING, DRURY, HUCKERBY, JARRETT, BRENNAN, HUGHES, HENDERSON, JARVIS RYAN, DOHERTY. SUBS: GALLACHER, SAFRI, MCVEIGH, ASHTON, JARVIS ROSSI

We don''t appear to have a right back in the team. Does this mean even more tinkering with systems by Worthy? How will Flem cope with his new captain? Will Jarvis get 6 goals and be elevated to the first team at last????

well credit at least to worthers for experimenting. but can anyone make head or tale of that team list? it''s like playing cards trying to shuffle all the players around into whatever formation and position he''s got them in! if flem is right back and the doc is up front, who''s partnering shacks in central defence?

i''m not sure that''s right about flem. i reckon he''s got hughes in there and, bizarrely, brennan is playing in the centre of midfield....

any more ideas?

Sounds as though we''re playing rubbish but at least we''re winning 2 nil. Just look at some of the other games involving higher v lower league teams - we''re doing a lot better than several other teams .

2-0 in the end

Not a bad game, but by far not a great one either. Our back four was great and our passing was good too......... well atleast between the back four and the goal keeper.

Our strikers kept running round like a lost cause, and despite our attackers making good runs, our midfield failed to pick them out and get the ball rolling.

Basically we are too slow going foward, and this was basically our strong point from last year, we need to improve bottom line. We always seeem to be going backwards, or get in a good position then pass it around before either losing it, or getting closed down and then having to clear the ball or peg it from long range

Ashtons goal was pretty good, more luck than anything else, Huckerby penalty looked close to being saved from where i was, how in the world hughes missed that sitter, totally unmarked i do not know - but he looks a good captain. Henderson looked impressive and so did Jarvis at times, Mcveigh changed the game for us when he came on, the way we attack with him on the pitch is far better than without.

Huckerby didnt look to good when he was fouled and then hobbled off, but according to worthy he should hopefully be fit for the weekend

We may have won 2-0 tonight (a soft penalty and Deano possibly offside for the second!), which is great, but the overall performance was poor again. If we play like that against Reading we''ll be beaten two or three-nil. The back four were quite solid, with The Doc in particular in good form against a physical front two; however, they insisted on playing the long ball out of defence, which is hopeless with Huckerby, Jarvis and Henderson as the target men! Perhaps it was because they saw that the midfield was weak again - in my humble opinion, the Northampton midfield passed the ball around far better than us for long periods of the game! Jarrett was poor again - why on earth did Worthy buy him? Hughes was very good defensively but, boy, does he like to pass sideways! Even when Safri came on, we didn''t look positive coming forward - it was ponderous and predictable. We had no shape and no cutting edge. We desperately need our central midfielders to run at people and strike the fear of God into them (and not just Hucks down blind alleys) in oredr to make things happen up front. Hendo gave it his all, but he and Jarvis looked out of their depth, even against Division 2 opposition. I think that we''ll come back down to earth with a bump on Saturday; let''s hope we can get in a midfielder or two in on loan by then, who can show us the quality that we''re missing.                         

We won the game with something to spare with a much changed team, Thought we passed the ball very well and Hughes is looking a better player every time I see him play. Hucks penalty was tucked away in the corner and from where I was behind the goal the keeper didn''t have a hope in hell of saving it. Having witnessed the 3-0 drubbing from Cheltenham and a few other let downs in this competition this was a very comfortable passage into the next round with a below strength team, just wish we would finish teams off sooner rather than later. The Doc was also excellent again, Fleming also looked comfortable at right back although he was a right back in his younger days at Oldham anyway but we have always played him in the middle for some reason.

I thought we done well to keep our composure as Northampton were just a bunch of thugs who looked as if they came from the Crusader league. Their striker Elbowed Docherty after 5 minutes & he cut his face, then he done it to Shackell who had a cut then he slid in on Shackell in the 2nd half & was booked all three challenges should have been instant dismissal for violent conduct. Johnson''s tackle on Huckerby was disgraceful & Dyche was just a physcho thank god we don''t play teams like that every week.