Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

We Are Now Happy To Win One Or Two Nil

This wasn''t the case last season. Then once we got in front at home everyone wanted to score a goal at the expense of our defensive shape. I loved some of those games where we went on to score more. But other times we conceded one and ended up hanging on or dropping points. Tonight was much more disciplined. Even at 2-0 we carried on doing the same things and never lost our shape.

And that is the philosophy.

We believe what we''re doing is right, we think it''s the most effective way to take as many points as possible. That''s why we''ll keep doing it. Even when behind.

We have to buy into this, all of us. We probably won''t go out twatting people 5 or 6 but we''re far less likely to be in a commanding position and surrender it.

Suck it up folks.

Typified for me by an incident which revealed -- wait for it -- a defensively disciplined Pinto! Second half, one nil up, Pinto found himself with clear space ahead down the right, with support from Oliveira. He accelerated to around half way, and, being challenged, passed inside to Nelson. Last year he would have gone bombing on, as Nelson"s return pass forward clearly expected; but no, Ivo had stopped in his tracks and was back pedalling to resume defensive station. Nelson''s pass went straight into touch but there was no sign of exasperation, just a raised had of acknowledgement to Pinto!

If it''s the same interchange between Pinto and oliviera I think it is, Pinto signalled to the bench immediately that he was hurt, and needed replacing, so maybe why he didn''t bomb on.

Thought Pinto, and the other changes made the difference, even Watkins looked lively when he came on.

Felt a bit sorry for camjam not getting a look though

I imagine we''ve always been happy to win 1 or 2 nil. The reason we needed to push on last season was we were so awful at the back that you never felt that a game was won even 2 or 3 goals ahead.

I think that''s a chicken and egg scenario Kingo. Because often at home we''d lose all defensive shape after we got a couple up as though the game was already won. Sometimes we''d score more but other we''d lose a goal and then hand all the initiative straight back.

But the team losing defensive shape had nothing to do with the fans. It was either ANs gameplan or the players instinct. Either way it turned out to be wrong (away from home anyway!)

@Nutty

We never even had the defensive shape to lose in the first place in my opinion. Neil seemed to value attack over all else while Farke seems to have a more balanced approach. I think adding Reed helps too as he seems to understand the importance of holding his position and providing a solid base for the other midfielders to attack from.

Reed''s awesome Kingo. I can''t believe we''ve got him for the season. Watching him in front of Zimmerman is nearly comical to look at in a little and large kind of way. But they combine and already seem to have an understanding. Those two stood out for me last night. Along with Angus Gunn who breeds confidence and has great kicking.

As an aside my grandson said Angus reminded him of De Gea. He even told that to Lakey after the game. I think we should have a thread....

I think Parma put it well in his thread we he said it''s like Reed has an elastic band around him that pulls him back into position once he moves the ball on. I like Tettey but he can be very ill disciplined with his positioning and often left the centre backs exposed last season. Reed is doing the job Darell Russell did so well for us in the league one season (albeit with much more quality) of breaking up play, carrying it forward, moving it on and dropping back into position.

40 more one or two nil wins this season should see us home and hosed for promotion. I''d be happy with that.