Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Frankie/Zimmerman

[quote user="Baldyboy"]On today''s performance made Bassong and Bennett look world class!

If you buy cheap you get poor players and sadly these two looked out of their depth today, neither won a header all game against Grabban and Vaughan! Woeful![/quote]Image result for bell END...

Interestingly, reports from the Pinkun earlier in the week had said Farke had spent time rebuilding the confidence of several players, including Zimmerman and Franke after the Sunderland defeat.I know some were questioning Farke after he backed his players after the Sunderland result, but nice to see we''ve got a coach who can see the bigger picture, and doesn''t panic at a poor result.

Good point, people overreact don''t they ;-) I thought both were very good last night and I have been impressed with Zimmermann from the start tbh... Franke finally stepped up yesterday and it made for good viewing. I just hope Ivo is not out for a long time...

The moral of the story is we can''t Judge any of the new players yet, it''s the 3rd game. 10 games in and we will have a bigger picture to look at, but in the same way we have to contain our excitement after a good performance, we can''t go writing them off after one poor one either!

Personally I think Klose will thrive with either of these two or as part of a back 3, I think they''ve got more about them then his previous partners and should bring out the best in each other.

Good point, my slight concern would be a lack of pace although they look as though they have the intelligence and positional nous to counteract this.

Fulham and QPR prefer to attack on the ground - there were what 2-3 headers to be won last night in our final third with only Matt Smith carrying a true aerial threat. Both Zimmerman & Franke have been very impressive in those games - ball on the ground, reading movement, timing tackles well. In that respect they are excellent defenders - for which I know that I am grateful.

Sunderlands approach was completely differing, sitting deep, hitting on the break, numerous (+12?) long aerial balls in our final third which Franke, Zimmerman and Martin simply were unable to deal with.

Villa are between those extreme, but do like plenty of crosses at home especially, and like to use Elmohamady wide right as an out aerially too.

How the CBs fare in those circumstances is likely to shape the result on sat. Tho probably less than whether No Pinto No Win starts. Fingers crossed it is cramp.

That''s a fair point Zipper but I would add that I saw them both make some really good defensive headers last night and when Smith came on he tried to rough them up a bit and they dealt with that well.

But yes yesterday was a very different challenge and probably a bit more like what they have been used to.

Thought these lads were massive for us V QPR! Franke played with a smile on his face and looked up for the challenge.

Loved the fact Zimmerman did a half lap of honour at the end of the match and spoke to the fans, waved, smiled and signed lots for the kids (and adults) - even my kids boots!

Think these two may become a successful pairing like we had in years gone by! Time will tell but I hope!!!