Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

This RM balme game has got to stop

The guys who sit in front of me -I think it''s fair to say - don''t rate Russell Martin and can only see bad in him. Last night just took the biscuit Pinto was caught out of position in the first half and one of them turned to the other and commented " what do you expect he''s be playing with Martin for the last 2 season!!!!!!" you couldn''t make it up :-)

Oh and by the way the reason Pinto was out of position was because he had been on one of his runs and had been impeded as he tried to get back

I agree. Russ Martin is clearly a good influence on younger players at the club, he''s our captain and, having met him and had a good chat, is a real down to earth guy with a clear passion for everything Norwich City.Get off his back! It seems that our ''fans'' are always too keen to blame someone and for the past couple of years it has been Russ. Some of the drivel I read about him on here and also the nonsense I hear at games is a huge source of annoyance. It wasn''t long ago we were all calling him ''Norfolk Cafu'' after all.

I think that works both ways, you can and probably have read my views on RM on here, I''m not a hater or slater but I do think he has had his time and should not have been given a new contract, particularly when he already had one that wasn''t about to expire.

Sunday was a great example and it was clear that Farke also saw the problem he caused for us, he gave the ball away to many times and 2 of those times it cost us, the stupid chest pass that was intercepted resulting the corner where McGeady scored and then the give away pass down the line for the McGeady cross on to Grabbans head for the third. 3 didn''t work and in a flat 4 Pinto is definitely the better option for us and this was shown last night.

We looked so much more solid as a unit, Pinto gives us pace going forward and pace in defence.

That said I do think he has been a fabulous servant, great for the younger players and I hope he ends up somewhere in the backroom structure, his last ditch tackle last night was a plus, his reckless and needless lunge for the free kick and yellow was a negative.

But with all that said, Pinto is a better option when fit.

Well we kept a clean sheet when he came on, and I saw him leading and marshalling his defence. Although this will be completely ignored by the odd ones with a pathological hate of him.

From chatting I think he''d be massively keen to manage Norwich at some point and I think he''d be good at it too. Probably a lot of work to do on coaching badges etc. plus he would need experience elsewhere first but I think that''s his path.The fact that he has had to play at RB might be a factor. He probably knows that he''s not up to playing that role as well nowadays. Which is why he wanted to switch to CB. Arguably, he had issues there too, but it is his favoured position now and we might yet see him playing that role for us on a few more occasions this season.Does anyone remember his first or second season with us, when he played the entire season with some kind of twisted bowel issue or something? Must have been in tremendous pain but he still played week in, week out and put it on the line.

Did well last night; got a yellow card for stopping an attack early doors (none of the other players seemed to want to consider stopping the Rangers player), but played very well for the rest of the match.

Made one excellent, brave challenge when he was already on a yellow two.

No worse than any of our other defenders IMO.

I think in this sort of role- off the bench to help us shore up when ahead and only starting the odd game- he is absolutely fine. Where me and quite a few others sit though is he absolutely shouldn''t be starting week in week out.

Fans have their pet players they like to get on the back of though- guy behind me had it in for Redmond for years and now seems to have moved onto Wildschut for some reason. Part of the ''fan experience'' I reckon.

Balm? But he rubs loads of people up the wrong way. Coat got.

but he is perfect & reliable to have in the squad for scenarios like last nights as well as a great ambassador for the club.

Not sure about he association as a friend of The Moose though

"Balm? But he rubs loads of people up the wrong way."A good Chap, who probably gets too much Stick.Apples

Loving the positivity Hoola, for balance we also kept a clean sheet for longer before he came on 😉

I know some seem to have a strong opinion and as I have always said I have no dislike for the guy, I just think he''s had his day as a starter and we''re a more balanced side with Pinto.

As for leading the team, Zimmerman was doing an excellent job of that before Martin arrived on the pitch so great to see we have other potential leaders, as was Reed

Speaking to an ex-player after the game, he mentioned how the communication across the team was far superior when RM came on.

Took one for the team too when left exposed to 2 against 1, probably saved a goal.

Haha - thanks Tumbleweed.

Ian Abrahams from TalkSport - seen tweeting pics before Weds game of his good friend Russell Martin

Did well when he came on, looked no better or worse than anyone else. I think a lot of clubs would be very happy to have Russ as a squad player.

Yes I especially enjoyed his first act where he produce a wild sliding tackle that completely missed the ball, got himself booked and gave QPR a dangerous free kick.

I guess different folks see things differently, I saw a player who was left exposed to a two on one and what he did was just about all he could do to stop them being one on one with Gunn. Took one for the tem in my opinion.

[quote user="Ray"]I guess different folks see things differently, I saw a player who was left exposed to a two on one and what he did was just about all he could do to stop them being one on one with Gunn. Took one for the tem in my opinion.[/quote]Agree Ray - the QPR player had evaded at least 3 Norwich tackles before Martin stepped in - agree that he took one for the team.He can''t win really - if he''d let the bloke past and he scored he''d have been hung out to dry for that too!

This sums it up for me. Russ is an intelligent footballer who reads the game. If you only follow the ball you will miss a lot of what he does and only see the inevitable exposure of the defence.

I am not saying that he is world class but he is good enough for most championship sides.

I''m confused Bristol, what does he do off the ball then?

When a full back doesn''t have the ball needs to do a few simple things, make sure he''s up with the back 4, pick up or at least be aware of where his opposing player is and support the wide man as necessary, don''t they all need to do that?

[quote user="bristolcanary"]This sums it up for me. Russ is an intelligent footballer who reads the game. If you only follow the ball you will miss a lot of what he does and only see the inevitable exposure of the defence.

I am not saying that he is world class but he is good enough for most championship sides.[/quote]

If you don''t follow the ball you always see him marking the front post instead of the opposition player who then scores and he proceeds to blame others around him.

Ginja, i dont for once second believe youre that inept at reading a football game to see that all Russ done with that tackle is take responsibility when no one else in our midfield would, left him majorly exposed with an easy opportunity for them to out number him. If anything he prevented a clear goalscoring opportunity. Just after, or before that, he covered for Franke and Zimmerman with a vital clearance.

Just to clarify Ginja, that wasn''t sarcasm. Your posts are generally interesting so it just seems an unlikely scapegoat like attempt of a post thats all.

I think if I had Kim Jong Un levels of power on here one of the first things I''d do is ban the word ''scapegoat.'' It gets so misused on here.

Probably follow it up by getting rid of ''happy clapper'' ''pant wetter'' and ''Stowmarket Two'' also.

I''m sure it does get misused on here - but not when we''re referring to RM - All I need to do is find a couple posts from Canary Utd and Thetford whats his face to prove that [:)]

Just for the lolz (sad I know) I jut stuck the word scapegoat into the search bar on these forums. In the last couple of months it has been used to describe Martin, Naismith, Tettey and Watkins.

It is word that often gets pulled out the second someone dare to suggest a player might not actually be that great. Sure some posters on here have weird obsessions (Canary Utd seems to have gone to the Jamae2 school of messageboard posting) but I''d suggest a few can be very overly defensive of Martin too.