Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Villa Match Thread

City: Gunn; Martin (c), Zimmermann, Franke, Husband; Reed; Murphy, Naismith, Vrancic, Stiepermann; Jerome.

Subs: McGovern, Oliveira, Watkins, Hoolahan, Wildschut, Maddison, Tettey.

Mmmm ... workmanlike with most of the skilled ones benched.

Away game line-up?

Interesting to see Stiepermann in this respect. Straight into the battle then? Slightly risky?

VERY surprised by this, looks like gone for strength over skill?

Plenty of invention on the bench to change things but I''d have started with Oliveira and one of Maddison or Hoolahan.

Oh well, I have faith in Farke

Just as Lambert did Farke appears to pick his team based on the opposition and the type of game it''s likely to be. The recent workload and two more games in the next seven days must be a factor too. Wouldn''t be surprised if there are one or two knocks and sets of tired legs amongst those who have made way.

Bottom line is that he has a strong squad to select from and whatever team he picks he will be judged on results.

No creativity in the middle and limited goal threat up front. Seems like the plan is to grind them down and frustrate their fans before second half subs take the game to them. Only problem is will we be too far behind before the subs take effect?

Last season showed that olive is prone to injury if overplayed. Hoolahan will not play every game and Maddison has played alot of minutes in a short space of time. Farke obviously trusts who he''s brought in and the 3 of them today will want to play well.

[quote user="Northern Canary "]City: Gunn; Martin (c), Zimmermann, Franke, Husband; Reed; Murphy, Naismith, Vrancic, Stiepermann; Jerome.

Subs: McGovern, Oliveira, Watkins, Hoolahan, Wildschut, Maddison, Tettey.[/quote]Apart from Oliveira not starting, that''s a decent starting line-up [Y] Shame Pinto is absent through fitness or injury, but Naismith & Stiepermann starting the match ahead of Maddison & Hoolahan is sensible enough.

[quote user="Making Plans"]I would have kept the same team so on his head be it.Just when our best players start to perform they get left out.Amazing![/quote]

But they all played on Wednesday. Hoolahan is not going to play 2 games a week.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Not much positivity in the foyer here at Villa. The 1992 result will remain untroubled. You couldn''t make it up.[/quote]

Give me strength.

A bit unhappy to see Oliveira benched after a scoring start and BOTH Hoolahan and Maddison benched. I know Maddison has played a lot of minutes though.

A more solid looking 4-1-4-1, and I guess we''ll get a chance to see what Stiepermann can bring to the side

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Vrancic not creative ?[/quote]I was going to address the same poster [:)] Of course Vrancic is creative - The central midfielders have differing roles in Farke''s favoured 4-1-4-1

formation and it will be Vrancic who plays the

traditional role of box to box, as well as helping out the defence when

required -- The other central midfielder should be the main attacking

threat in the partnership and has a license to get forward more often - the attacking midfielder on this occasion is Naismith [Y]

But they all played on Wednesday. Hoolahan is not going to play 2 games a week.If Hoolahan is knackered playing twice a week then why did he play against Swindon?If Maddison has had too much football recently then why did he play against Swindon?Oliveira didn''t play against Swindon, scores 2 in 2 games, but still gets left out.As I said, amazing!

Looks to me like its a comination of resting some key players and keeping it tight and deep with Cj chasing through balls. Interesting.

Am very much liking this approach to team selection.  Wes and Maddison both sensibly rested and showing trust in the other squad members. It should be creative, with Vrancic and Stiepermann in there and Murphy with his pace - and of course we still have the players on the bench that can change things up if needed. 

[quote user="Morgan"]Ta![/quote]And if Stiepermann can put in a display on the left like can be witnessed on YT [:D] We''re in [Y]

Certainly a brave move by Farke and I hate to think what this place will be like if we lose.

But he''s the manager and I think it''s good he is prepared to use the squad and change approach depending on opposition. At least no one can say he only has a plan A and isn''t willing to mix things up.

I guess the other point is that Bruce would''ve spent the last week preparing to mark Hoolahan and Naismith out of the game and preventing intricate passes to Oliveira. Villa will now need to dea with a possibly more direct and robust approach