Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

My last ever Russell Martin post

Today I''m going to try and say something constructive.

I realise the commitment he has shown to the club and I''m sure he will be looked after by the club in the future as an ambassador.

Today, not for the first time he looked completely out of his depth, he is slow and positionally unaware. I''m not saying the shocking defensive display was solely down to him, but it''s getting to be more than a coincidence.

If we make one more signing, we need a right back, someone to cover for Pinto, or have Pinto as the cover.

Without this purchase and with Pinto so fragile, any team playing Norwich with Martin in the starting 11 will surely target him.

Zimmermann, Franke and Husband were far worse. I''m not even close to being a Russell Martin fan, but to single him out today is unfair. He was bad but not as bad as the other 3

I usually back Martin on here and love the man for what he''s achieved at this club, but he was poor today and looking every bit his age. Pinto is certainly a much better option, but it''s a long season so I can understand why he wasn''t risked today if he wasn''t fully fit. I guess we have whildschut as emergency back-up, but Martin should be good enough as backup.

But let''s be fair, it wasn''t just Martin that cost us today. We were very poor at times all over the pitch, and certainly second best at everything at HT. Trying to defend for prolonged periods like that is always going to leak goals eventually.

The radio made it sound like the centre backs and lack of protection from a DCM were more at fault.

There are a lot worst RB options to have then Russell Martin! It''s when he plays centrally that I get frustrated.

None of the new players have impressed. Harrison Reed''s dangerous pass was the architect behind the first goal conceded.

It was down to unexperience maybe. bad.

A lot of money used on players of League One quality it seems.

Really weak performance today and frightening lack of quality by the team.

Casa del Carrow Road must be a relaxing place to earn their money by not doing a thing. The lack of effort is sickening.

Have lost faith in this project. And in the press the bext week there will be talk og big respond and maybe they will. But next game again there will be a new dissappointment. This unit wil not give us consistency with good results.

In the 3 league games that Martin started we have conceded 8

In the 1 league game that Martin didn''t start we have conceded none.

Irrespective of what anyone who is a fan thinks, the stats are there for all to see.

In the one game he didn''t start, QPR we looked solid, in every game other than that we haven''t.

No he''s not completely at fault, but it''s worrying that when you have you so called ''leader'' on the pitch we are awful.

Where would the fun be in that 🤔

I think Martin had a part to play in both their openning goals.

Anyway, I disagree, the same defence with Pinto against a competent QPR side looked a lot more solid. Martin is to slow to be a full back, evidenced not only today, but in preceding months!

Martin was poor today. He was no worse defensively than the other guys but gave the ball away a couple of times in completely unnecessary situations

Time for Klose, toffolo and pinto to get back fit and be given a go.

Toffolo has been a nearly man for far too long now so it''s time we used him while we have a glaring lack of quality there. it might work it might not. either way, we get a solid left back or we know it''s time to sell and plenty of league 1 clubs will be in the queue for him and perhaps the odd championship side.

As for klose, anyone know when he''s back? seems to have been nearly back for a few weeks now.

Martin is a better centre back than full back and has been for a long time. He''s clearly not first choice centre back anymore. He''s clearly not first choice right back anymore. Who would have played right back if not him? We released Whittaker who was a better right back, I assume because Martin can cover more positions.

From what I understand Martin took a pay cut as part of the deal to extend his contract.

Agree he shouldn''t be first choice at either CH or RB but who else could we have played today? The squad is very thin on the ground at the back.

When Webber came in, his demeanour suggested the end of the little old Norwich attitude.

Giving Russell Martin, of all people, a contract extension suggested to me that little old Norwich are still alive and well. Or should that be, not well.

Surely the bigger issue is that we have no other options than Martin at right back. If Husband gets injured we also have no cover at LB either.

Apart from ''little old Norwich'' only actually existed in the minds of some of our more petulant fans. So im not surprised its you that''s brought it up, Alex.

Also Toffolo isnt going to be our fullback TJ.

He couldnt even hold down a place in a League One side.

Jamal Lewis looks twice the player Toffolo will ever be but is unfortunately injured.

Jacob Murphy couldn''t hold down a place in League One side the season before last either Hog- finished the season coming off the bench more often that not. There can be many reasons for that.

Toff isn''t up to it. League 1 at best.

Dijks may have to rethink his wage demands and then that might be a possibility.

No but Jacob Murphy was an attacking winger - there''s plenty of tactical reasons to leave him out and by their nature run hot and cold.

But Scunny didn''t change formation or anything, they simply had a left back they deemed better after giving Toffolo a run in the team. Plus im also basing it on the 8 or 9 times ive seen him play myself.

Russell Martin''s positioning for the first goal was diabolical. He just ball watched and let Hourihane run off him for a tap in.

The second goal he just backed off and invited the lad to shoot.

Like others I don''t want to bash him as he has been a brilliant servant to our club and as others have said the whole back 4 was woeful.

The second goal was he backed off and the guy curled it into the corner and the first was from his side too, we''re you There?

[quote user="pliff"]The second goal was he backed off and the guy curled it into the corner and the first was from his side too, we''re you There?[/quote]
The first came from Husband being horribly out of position on the left, Franke making a pathetic lunge at a ball he really should be cutting out, missing it entirely which then dragged Zimmermann out to the left to cover Husband and Franke - Zimmerman getting beat far too easily, leaving Martin alone in the middle to cut the cross out (when in reality Husband should have been closing down the cross and both CBs should have been where Martin was. Husband being out of position and Franke''s bizarre lunge were the main causes as it left Martin and Zimmermann horribly exposed. The cross came from our Left Back position - Husband should have been there but he wasn''t. Unless Russell Martin suddenly changed to a Left Back, the cross did not come from his side.... Yes I was there, were you because it sure doesn''t seem like it.
Second goal is exactly the same thing - Husband is out of position on the left, Franke and Zimmermann have to shift across to cover. Martin has to follow or leave a gaping hole in the Centre. He moves across, the ball then goes to the gaping hole on our right, and by the time Martin is back in position, the guy takes 2 steps and curls it into the top corner. Russ didn''t even have time to close down really.
I''m not a Martin apologist by any stretch of the imagination and have regularly said he isn''t good enough, but the first two goals, if you break them down were entirely due to losing defensive shape, which was due to Husband being miles out of position both times.
Third goal was a freak deflection from a shot that was essentially unchallenged, but that was actually on the midfield - you can''t expect the defence to come charging up and close players down 30 yards out, we''d be ripped to shreds - Midfield totally at fault for not closing that one.
Fourth was a blatant handball, but Husband decided rather than play to the whistle on HIS MAN, he would stand there whinging about the handball decision whilst the Villa player waltzed past and picked out his man. Vrancic and Zimmermann didn''t do enough to close down the scorer, but again the move came from Husband''s position.
If you noticed, in the first half, every time the Villa Keeper kicked it long, he was going down their right, towards Husband. It couldn''t possibly have been part of a gameplan because they saw him as aweak link could it? It must just be coincidence that Husband was at fault for 3 of the 4 goals with zero positional sense and petulant whining instead of playing the game. Because your agenda says Martin has to be to blame. Have you ever heard of Occam''s razor?
I am the first one to blame Martin when it is his fault, but today was not that day, Husband was shocking - again. If we''re apportioning blame defensively, Husband is the worst offender but Zimmermann and Franke were equally poor, and Martin marginally better than both.