Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Player Ratings, Northampton Edition

Ive been ridiculously busy the last few weeks, hence an absence of posting, and also means tonight was the first game I have attended since Leeds. Managed to catch the Plymouth game in a bar in Bedford, and listened to the Ipswich game on Radio Suffolk - An experience not to be recommended! But anyway.. Tonight...

Ward - 6 - Nowt to do, looked comfortable on crosses.

Drury - 6 - Comfortable, again Nowt much to do.

Shacks - 7/8 - Very good as usual. Won everything in the air, made a good sliding tackle in the second half. Only complaint is his distribution, which was again off target. Was reading the EDP recently and they have Shacks as one of the lowest rating players on average this season, I do hope the lad hasnt read that piece.

Doc - 7 - A good game. Seems to be building in confidence.

Flem - 6 - Solid game defensively. Not as good going forward, appeared clueless in the first half when receiving the ball on the edge of the area in space, but dealt with any attacks well. (He may also get a special mention, but not too sure if it was him, See the Andy Hughes Rating)

Brennan - 5 - Nothing special, a decent free kick aside he did little of note.

Jarrett - 7 - Impressed me, his range of passing again looked good. Won the ball back a few times. Not the finished article, but looked useful.

Hughes - 7/8 - Also impressed me, his work-rate was good. It also appears his captaincy is better than Flems, but I suppose you can never judge that aspect if your not in the actual team. Made a very good clearance off the line from a Northampton shot, it was made even better by the fact that he wasnt already on the line, he saw the danger and sprinted to the line in anticipation, a very intelligent play. (NOTE - The BBC report reckons it was fleming, but im pretty sure it was Hughes.)

Hendo - 6 - A good shot in the first half, and showed some pace, but not enough quality in his passing and dribbling.

Hucks - 6/7 - Didnt do as much running with the ball as you would expect from him, but a decent performance. I havent seen a replay of the penalty, but he made a very unconvincing dive in the early minutes of the game. Even the crowd didnt complain! (Although Im not sure if thats an indication of the dive or the crowd?)

Jarvis - 6 - Looked sharp early on, but gradually his impact became less as the game wore on.

Subs

Ashton - 6 - Again his touch didnt look at its best, but very clever goal to settle the game.

Mcveigh - 6 - Looked good again, I really believe he has earned a run in the team.

Safri - 7 - Different class when he came on. Good touches, and good tackling. Oh how I wish him and Damo had more time together in the middle of the park.

Overall a satisfying performance. Not particularly good, but we rarely looked threatened.

Agree with most of your ratings.

ward  7 did all was asked of him.

drury 7 as above

shacks 7 great in air, i think he has been an easy scapegoat in defence.

doc 8 my man of match

flem 6.5 considering he was playing out of position not bad, distribution never been his strong point.

henderson 5 disapointing for me terrible use of ball, great shot in first half though.

jarrett 6 some good tackles and some useful balls, never seemed to willing to accept ball.

hughes 7 seems to be improving all the time, good call of worthy to make him captain.

brennan 6 seemed quieter than normal.

jarvis 6 never really seemed in races to me.

hucks 7  did ok, cooly taken penalty.

i was not too impressed with performance , seemed city never got out of second gear, but you only need to beat whats in front of you so no complaints from me.

WARD 7 - NOT MUCH TO DO BUT DID WELL

DRURY 6 - STEADY AS EVER. WOULD LIKE HIM TO WORK ON AERIAL ABILITIES

SHACKELL 8 - DISTRIBUTION OCCASIONALLY WAYWARD BUT WON EVERYTING IN THE AIR. EXCELLENT!

DOHERTY 7 - DID NOTHING WRONG LOOKED SOLID

FLEMING 5 - MISPLACED PASSES & BAD POSITIONAL PLAY.

HUGHES 8 - MAKING HIM CAPTAIN WAS A GOOD MOVE IT SEEMS. GOOD DISTRIBUTION AND LOOKED STRONG IN A CHALLENGE

JARRET 6 - OK FOR 1ST HALF HOUR BUT LOST THE PLOT A LITTLE THERE AFTER

BRENNAN 6 - NOT ALOT WRONG BUT NOT ALOT RIGHT EITHER. QUIET

HUCKERBY 7 - AS DANGEROUS AS ALWAYS BUT PERHAPS COULD HAVE DONE BETTER AGAINST THIS ''LESSER'' OPPOSITION. GOT SEVEN COS HE SCORED.

JARVIS 6 - LOOKED OK WITH OCCASIONAL GOOD TOUCHES, LACKED REQUIRED SUPPORT @ TIMES.

HENDERSON 5/6 - MISPLACED PASSES AND UNWILLINGNESS TO GET STUCK INTO A CHALLENGE WHICH IS A SHAME COS HE SHOWED GLIMPSES OF SOMETHING BETTER. HAS TO TAKE A CHANCE SOON-ISH OR HE''LL DROP DIVISIONS TO A TEAM LIKE NORTHAMPTON

SUBS

MCVEIGH 7 - SHAME A COUPLE OF PASSES WERE MISPLACED COS HE SKINNED TWO PLAYERS IN THE SPACE OF 10 MINS AND LOOKED A PLASS APART. MUST FIND ROOM FOR HIM IN OUR 1ST 11!

ASHTON 6 - STILL LOOKED A TOUCH OUT OF SORTS BUT TOOK HIS GOAL WELL EVEN IF IT WAS A LITTLE FORTUNATE.

SAFRI 8 - AWESOME, SIMPLE AS THAT.

Isn''t it amazing how you can come away from a game with COMPLETELY different opinions of how some players have performed?!

Some of it''s irrelevant anyway, several players will be back on Sat so the line up''ll look more like we did last Sunday than on Tuesday night.