Sign in to follow this  
Indy

On a bright note, take a bow Murphy

Just seen highlights and a well taken goal, some great crosses without anyone in the box, where were our players?

Certainly taken over from his brother, long may he continue.

Great to see the lad have a good game.

Yes but the brighter note! It''s great to see Murphy on song, he''s got the potential to become a key member of our team this season, with him and Maddison, Thompson and Pritchard when fit and our new boys Vrancic and Reed are very strong midfield options.

From the commentary, it sounded like had we had more attacking intention from his crosses we might have had more chances.

I hope he''s rested for the midweek game, the Millwall game more important.

[quote user="Indy"]From the commentary, it sounded like had we had more attacking intention from his crosses we might have had more chances.

I hope he''s rested for the midweek game, the Millwall game more important.[/quote]
He whipped the ball across two or 3 times but no-one (particularly Cam) seemed inclined to bust a gut to be in position for them so they flashed harmlessly across the six yard box.

That''s why I''m so critical of playing Naismith, he''s just too slow to read and react, we need a clinical finisher who''s first instinct is to get into the box! Our attacking midfield must get into those positions when they see Murphy get out wide so easily.

He looked very good today.

Josh is great. An asset for next season. Hopefully we can sell him for 10+ mill and replace a few players. Like I said in another thread we are likely to become a spring board for young talent towards the top end of the Champ and lower echelons of the PL whilst we battle with that shithouse club in Suffolk for a safe mid table position. Sorry to embrace the doldrums but right now I feel very cynical owing to the classic Along Come Norwichism.

Last two games Josh has put quality in but equally midweek Oliveira was no where near any of them (just to balance a post above which said it was mostly cam not busting a gut to get on the end of them)

The problem is,will he still be here after the January window?

[quote user="hogesar"]Last two games Josh has put quality in but equally midweek Oliveira was no where near any of them (just to balance a post above which said it was mostly cam not busting a gut to get on the end of them)[/quote]
Didn''t quite mean it as it reads mate, my fault.
I was just thinking of one instance in particular where Josh beat his man, and whipped the ball across the edge of 6 yard box - Cam was stood on the edge of the area when he really should have (easy to say from up in the stands I guess) been looking to get in at the back post, and if he''d made that run would have had a tap in as the delivery was quality.
Didn''t mean to single Cam out for criticism but understand that''s how it reads, there weren''t any others really busting to get in on the action of those crosses, I just noticed Cam particularly on that one instance.

Josh was superb today esp 2nd half, also first time Ive actualy heard him give an interview, an excellent listen and he speaks very clearly and honestly about the game and our problems in general. Good lad all round

To balance that , when none of your players are even close to the box , was the best decision to fire the ball in for a far side throw in ?

Better decisions from Josh are needed at times , same thing against QPR , hopefully coaching will get him there .

Dont worry KIO, you were correct about Cam but i just thought our other strikers and attacking mids werent making enough runs into the box. Vrancic and Naismith should be running in when Josh gets to the byline imo.

Murphy was of limited value against QPR, with only occasional glimpses of what he is capable of, but if he can find form and confidence like he did second half yesterday every week, then he will be an asset for us.  But he has to be able to show that for a whole match, not just part of it. The match was lost before ot was won - so maybe he would be better as an impact sub at the moment, with more feisty midfielders in the team ahead of him to start with.

Wingers don''t typically show it all match. If they were getting the ball and beating their fullback every 5 minutes thered be 20 goals a game.

Which midfielders do we have that are ''more feisty?'' He''s young and he needs a consistent run in the first team. He started to perform really well at the end of last season when Irvine gave him a run of starts.

The trouble is Hogesar, is that he doesn''t offer that much when he isn''t running at defenders. He needs to improve his defensive game - against QPR he barely got anywhere near the ball when trying to help defensively - and yes, imo, a winger has to be able to offer something other than just being able to run forwards.

Murphy was excellent against Villa. Hutton left the field Punch drunk and probably feeling like he''d been waterboarded for the hour and a bit he was out there.

Not so long back, Josh was streets ahead of his twin and has always had a keen eye for goal. Jacob went away and worked hard, played every week and came back a different proposition. My hope is that Josh now gets plenty of game time and has the dedication that we saw from Jacob, if so, the raw ability would still seem to favour Josh and we could have an even better player on our hands.

And while we shipped four at Villa, Angus Gunn still managed to impress. That''s a worrying indictment of the stuff going on in front of him but were it not for him we''d have been dead and buried long before.

We''re lacking consistency, we go from looking like we could mount a promotion challenge to looking like we''d struggle to mount a rocking horse in the same game. It''s early days though. Many lessons are being set, some will be learned quicker than others. Patience remains the buzz word but we''re already seeing fans crying out for change and demanding certain players never play again/start every week. Scapegoats and favourites will forever be the entitlement of a footy fan, the head coach will still be the one picking the team. That said, if we continue to ship goals and rely on a super sub striker and an aging Irish talisman to dig us out of holes in 20 minute cameos, I imagine that patience will continue to dwindle.