Sign in to follow this  
he

Steven Naismith

If we had our heads screwed on we''d just sever Jarvis'' contract (the usual mutual consent) as he''s constantly injured.

It;s worrying that, after 3 seasons, Naismith has offered extremely little. Agreed he''s good a good work rate, butt that''s about it. Bit like Snodgrass in that games and temp is very slow. He hasn''t got technical skills, hasn''t got speed, and has has been mentioned was only ever an impact sub at Everton.

Fact is he hasn''t lived upto his £8m price tag, and regardless of what we "could" get for him, letting him go, even for free, would reduce wage bill, free up a sizeable wage packet, and release funds for young and hungrier players.

It''s worrying that Farke seems to be making him a favourite. Lets hope not

Correct me I am wrong here but...

Servering his contract means we would have to pay him his contract (wages) in a lump sum

A free transfer means letting him agree a deal with another club who will effectively take on his wages/contract like a normal transfer, but we don''t receive a fee

2 very different scenarios financially

Maybe, just maybe he isn''t a probem in our team.  Against Sunderland he linked up play well and moved the ball around intelligently (imo) and generally we were on top in that game before the defensive cock up that saw us go behind.  In that sense, bringing him back for Villa made some sense given the work Wes and Maddison have done already this season.  The problems yesterday were that the team could not cope with the pace and pressure of the opposition and we simply could not play the way we wanted to because villa wouldn''t let us.  That was not just down to Naismith.  However, there is no doubt that he can play better and if he can find his goal touch, he can still be an important player for us.  Farke would not be putting him in the team if he did not think he was good enough.  But I get the sense with Farke that he won''t put up with players who aren''t doing it on the pitch for very long and whether it''s Naismith or Martin or anyone else - if they are not performing they won''t get starts very often. As always, it''s up to the players to perform, but writing Naismith off, or "resenting" him, is not going to solve anything.  He is there, he is in the squad, he is getting starts.  Get behind him and encourage him.

This just gets silly. The guy''s injured. It''s frustrating for us but more so for him. You can''t just sever someone''s contract anyway. Unless being injured is gross misconduct. He still goes to colney and it''s lonely and frustrating to be there fighting your own fitness with physios for company rather than being part of the squad.

Only one person has said they resent him LDC. The trouble is we''ve been waiting 3 seasons now for him to come good.

Just how long do you persevere.

Rogue good point. How long has Jarvis got left on his contract? Surely he can''t have too much time left?

I doubt we could negotiate a free transfer for Jarvis. No club would take him on & offer him a contract. We should never have signed him. Sever contract is a harsh way of putting it, ''terminating by mutual consent'' would be more appropriate for football

As for Naismith, the advantage of a ''free transfer'' is that the lack of transfer fee could encourage another team to offer higher wages which he would agree to. Of course this would l;eave us with nothing in terms of transfer fee coming in, but a lot of wages lifted instead

But we''d still have to pay him the difference between his new wages and what he was on here. So he would be part of the managers playing budget but the manager couldn''t play him. This coupled with the fact the manager seems to want to play him would be lunacy.

[quote user="Samwam27"]Only one person has said they resent him LDC. The trouble is we''ve been waiting 3 seasons now for him to come good.

Just how long do you persevere.

Rogue good point. How long has Jarvis got left on his contract? Surely he can''t have too much time left?[/quote]
''''Norwich have agreed the signing of winger Matt Jarvis from West Ham. The 29-year-old, who moved to Carrow Road on loan in September, will sign a three-and-a-half-year contract on 2 January ( 2016)''''
So it expires in July 2019 but my understanding is that footballers have insurance to cover wages for long term injuries so doubt we will be paying his wages

Sorry can''t do clicky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233479/Manchester-United-paid-34m-wages-injured-players-just-two-seasons-Premier-League-clubs-count-120m-year-cost-sidelined-stars.html

I don''t think we bought Steven Naismith. I reckon we tried to but we bought someone else by mistake. The Steven Naismith from Everton was a talented, pugnacious and dangerous forward of international quality. We bought somone who can put in a shift. We either have a claim that the guy we bought (using the same name) is not fit for purpose or that our version is not of satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act. Really quite simple, take him back to Customer Services at Everton, and in future make sure you buy on credit card or from John Lewis.

@Nutty - Thats why I made the point of him taking equivalent, or higher wages, so he wouldn''t be losing financially, he would actually be earning more. But I agree, its all hypothetical stuff from a parallel universe.

Do we really have Jarvis for another 2 years? Possibly the worst piece of business we have ever done

Especially as Jarvis was sodding injured when we actually signed him permanently.

Re "resenting" Naismith I meant lord his presence in our squads I''m sure he''s a decent bloke personally but the fact we have hi. And are paying him so much seems to make managers feel compelled to play him to the detriment of the team. I find it hugely frustrating.

I bet he won''t. He''s rubbish. He''s offered nothing in 18 months why all of a sudden is he gonna turn that around.

What does he actually do, doesn''t score, doesn''t assist, doesn''t take anyone on.

WHAT DOES HE DO ???

He runs about a bit, points and moans. Very good at slowing down play. Further up the pitch I can sometimes see his movement and the runs he makes being useful but in the deeper role we''ve seen him in some far I don''t even see that

Naismith has goals in him. He scored 5 goals last season in 32 matches and if he continues to be selected, he will start scoring more.  We''ve had just four competitive matches in a totally new approach and almost totally new team.  All the team need to be cut a little slack until things settle down.

"Give him time"

He''s a 30 year old Scottish international, with Premier League experience. He cost £8 million pounds. EIGHT MILLION POUNDS. He''s not a young kid just breaking into the first team. How long are you going to give him ffs? Waste of money and space in the squad.

Can you see into the future hoola?  Do you know if Farke is going to carry on picking him?  If he does, then Naismith will score goals - as he did last season - perhaps in a better team keeping possession much better he may start scoring more. What would be a good haul for him? 10 goals?  I would say that would be a useful contribution from midfield.  Wes rarely gets more than 4 or 5 a season.........

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"]I predict Naismith will win us all over by the end of the season. [/quote]I seem to remember someone on here having similar hopes about a certain RVW.That went well....[;)][/quote]I trust Naismith when he says he is fitter and stronger this season and fully expect all the players to show some improvement over the next few weeks as the new regime settles down, including Naismith.   But then that is an optimistic view.......  [:)]

I admire your optimism LDC but all of the alternatives to SN offer something tangible to the team. I was a fan and in favour of the transfer but I am afraid that it has proven to be an expensive mistake. Not the pace of Murphy, the guile of Wesley, the goals even of CJ, or the passes of young Maddison. Sad to say but Snodgrass would have offered a set piece threat and therefore some contribution to the team. SN has none. One can''t just forever blindly hope it will work out.

''Naismith has goals in him.''

Does he? Since his move to English football in 2012 he''s managed a grand total of 33 goals in 168 appearances. When you narrow that down to just league goals it''s 24 in 145 so hardly prolific.

LDC wrote:

Can you see into the future hoola? Do you know if Farke is going to carry on picking him? If he does, then Naismith will score goals - as he did last season - perhaps in a better team keeping possession much better he may start scoring more. What would be a good haul for him? 10 goals? I would say that would be a useful contribution from midfield. Wes rarely gets more than 4 or 5 a season.........

..........................................................................................................................

Sadly I looked into the future and was right ! In late 2015 when AN was trying to sign him, people were excited by the prospect - I wasn''t - I didn''t want him here. I knew he was limited and his recruitment would create selection problems that would be detrimental to the team . To me playing Hoolahan & Redmond for the majority of the games was the difference between survival and relegation. I thought and still do believe we would have survived if we played those two. But Naismith''s recruitment would put a spanner in the works because AN was obliged to play him. We were down as soon as we signed him ! The Liverpool game gave me some hope and he did look good playing alongside Hoolahan & Redmond, but once those two were benched, that was it. Don''t get me wrong the defence was the primary reason we were relegated but by leaving key players out, our attack was powerpuff.

Also any comparison between Hoolahan and Naismith is ludicrous. Hoolahan is a canary legend. Involved with everything that has been good in this current era, got us promoted three times including two times to the premiership. They are a country mile apart.

But Naismith has won me over. His attitude towards the club last season and being a decent person, I am respectful of what he is trying to do. I have nothing personal against the man. But this thread is about Naismith the player - well he just "doesn''t cut the mustard".

[quote user="lake district canary"]Can you see into the future hoola?  Do you know if Farke is going to carry on picking him?  If he does, then Naismith will score goals - as he did last season - perhaps in a better team keeping possession much better he may start scoring more. What would be a good haul for him? 10 goals?  I would say that would be a useful contribution from midfield.  Wes rarely gets more than 4 or 5 a season.........

[/quote]
You''re going to be onto a straight loss if you even contemplate comparing Naismith to Wes [:D]
Just looking at last season:
Wes : 7 goals, 10 assists
Naismith: 5 goals, 3 assists