Sign in to follow this  
he

Steven Naismith

What is Steven Naismith giving in his displays to this team which makes the team better?

Can someone tell me, I can''t see it..

He''s done nothing for 18 months. But for some reason people keep saying stuff like "he will be a big player for us" "make him captain".

On what evidence.

What return have we had on £8m fee & £40k a week wages.

Pretty nice goal vs Leeds last season. Agreed though, his career for us has been hopeless and that''s at championship level where a player with his record should be smashing it.

It was the least he could do. Not better than League One level I''m afraid.has nothing to bring to the table

Yep I''ve lost all patience with him. He brings nothing to the pitch.

Slows the play down far too much and also drops too deep to pick up the ball.

Then he finds himself too deep and too slow to go join in attacks.

It is not surprising that our attacking play is much less dynamic with him in the team. Maddison offers so much more going forward and I don''t think Naismith offers much defensively to make up for the slow way he plays.

I can understand wanting to rest Maddison but the obvious replacement is Wes not Naismith.

Naismith was brought to the club to score goals. That''s what he did best at Everton. He only scores goals - nothing else. People can forget he has other skills. He can''t beat defenders through dribbling, wrong footing, speed or guile, he cant play a decisive pass. He needs to rediscover his touch in front of goal to be any value to us. He has not got the speed to play the small striker role anyhow.

I''m afraid each time he plays, he''s keeping a better player out of the team. The problem is Farke thinks Naismith is a good fit for his "structure". Some see Naismith as captain material and think he would feature prominently and he will have a big season ! Anyone can conform to a structure, but they need to be good footballers as well if we are to win matches - people are too carried away with players that will comply regardless if their any good. Crikey if Naismith ever becomes our best player or is that important to the team, we will be a team in the lower depths struggling to stay in the division. Similar to when we had people like Fotheringham captaining the team.

Needs more time in a difficult position and structure. A decent enough footballer at this level, nothing special but will do put in 100%

I actually am starting to really resent him. Always comes into the team at the expense of better players and fails to perform. Really wish we''d never signed him.

Sad to see the gradual downgrade in the eyes of the fans from ''potential game changer/match winner'' when he signed to ''will be excellent at Championship level'' to ''useful squad player who puts a shift in.''

Such a waste of money.

Are people still making excuses for this chump? The way some talk, by giving him chance after chance and having patience, as though he''s some young kid just breaking into the first team, is pathetic. He''s an experienced, 30 year old international, on high wages, and the 8 million spent on him was a complete waste of money. Useless player.

I think it''s a case of one of those players that just hasn''t clicked with us. He''ll probably sign for someone else (hopefully) and look half decent, which will be half better than he''s looked for us.

Struggled yesterday but then so did the rest of the team.

Never doubt his commitment and workrate though, and one post in this thread really highlights what is wrong with some of our fans.

"Im starting to resent him"

Why? He works hard, hes not produced anything of note for us but that could simply be down to ability. Either way, the price we paid isnt his fault. Its not even his fault he gets picked ahead of others but there are obviously reasons for it.

I generally see commitment and work-rate as a bare minimum requirement. As I said on a previous thread all I see is a slightly more talented Andy Hughes and for the wages he apparently draws that isn''t enough.

Thats fine King, but to resent a player for it says more about them than it ever will Naismith.

I don''t think it''s surprising that our two worst performances have coincided with Naismith''s two starts.

Impact sub at best, which people seem to forget, is really all he was at Everton.

Fans get frustrated though as many had him on their list of get rid and save some money. He''s still with us though and rediculous to think he gets picked head of Maddison. He''s also in his 3rd season with us and to think he needs more time to adjust beggars belief.

I''d happily let him go on a free.

It wouldn''t shock me if we''re sinking a good £3m a year in wages into Jarvis and Naismith combined- that kind of money could easily pay 3 or 4 players in positions of need.

[quote user="king canary"]I''d happily let him go on a free.

It wouldn''t shock me if we''re sinking a good £3m a year in wages into Jarvis and Naismith combined- that kind of money could easily pay 3 or 4 players in positions of need.[/quote]
That makes more sense Kingo.
I still think he''s got value to us but certainly hasn''t come close to repaying what we have spent on him.
Jarvis is just injured and injured and injured. 

[quote user="king canary"]I''d happily let him go on a free.

It wouldn''t shock me if we''re sinking a good £3m a year in wages into Jarvis and Naismith combined- that kind of money could easily pay 3 or 4 players in positions of need.[/quote]I''d happily let Naismith go on a free transfer. The problem is finding someone daft enough to take on paying his wages. Sunderland wouldn''t do it when they were still in the Premier League.I''d hazard a guess and say your £3m a year in wages for the Jarvis/Naismith combo is on the low side.

[quote user="Clint"]Impact sub at best, which people seem to forget, is really all he was at Everton.[/quote]Fair enough but Everton are an established Premier League team.At this level aren''t we entitled to expect him to perform consistently better than most players at Carrow Rd ?