Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Striker desperately needed

As I understand there are complications in arranging fees for both players.

Players under 23 who are out of contract still require a fee being paid to their previous club in order to be able to transfer their registration. If a fee cannot be agreed then the amount will go to tribunal.

I don''t have any inside info, but I believe this is where they are at with each player (although I''m not sure if Benny is off to Chelsea, Leicester or somewhere else). Neither player will be allowed to play in a ''competitive'' fixture until this is sorted.

Abrahams played up front for both the previous U23 games as he is allowed to do under the terms of the loan deal with Leyton. But he wouldn''t be allowed to play for Norwich''s first team under FA rules.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Making major squad decisions after a few games is knee jerk at its worst. Every fan talked about the need to be patient in the close season, then a ball got kicked in anger and everyone lost their sh*t.[/quote]Ain''t that a fact. [Y][/quote]
This is painfully spot on [:d]

As Bethnal said, way to much knee jerking right now. Yes  our injury list is more than bad right now but calls for getting another striker is just not the way to go. This is a League Cup match against L1 opposition and as much as DF would like to win it, the Championship is the main meal, not this match. In anycase, we have Murphy and Naismith who can do a job up front, flexible guys like Stieperman, Yanic and Godfrey who can fill in roles elsewhere, maybe Trybull to could be given a run out. Agree with Bethnal, if theres room in the squad for 1 more new face, for me it would be RB or CB cover.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Maybe this could be Naismith''s opportunity........?[/quote]The obvious option surely.... 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]As I understand there are complications in arranging fees for both players.

Players under 23 who are out of contract still require a fee being paid to their previous club in order to be able to transfer their registration. If a fee cannot be agreed then the amount will go to tribunal.

I don''t have any inside info, but I believe this is where they are at with each player (although I''m not sure if Benny is off to Chelsea, Leicester or somewhere else). Neither player will be allowed to play in a ''competitive'' fixture until this is sorted.

Abrahams played up front for both the previous U23 games as he is allowed to do under the terms of the loan deal with Leyton. But he wouldn''t be allowed to play for Norwich''s first team under FA rules.[/quote]Thanks Bethnal. So basically, there are no strikers in the U23s whom we could draft into the first team in an emergency – doesn''t bode well!

As mentioned before, with 3 players in the squad who are all strikers (Jerome, Nelson and Watkins) and Murphy and Naismith who can both "do a job" there I don''t see it as cause for concern. I believe Murphy played largely as a striker while at MK Dons.

I was speaking to someone who knows a lot about German football and he was very impressed Norwich had signed Stiepermann as he really rates him. Apparently he has played as a striker at times also, but it seems that he has played almost everywhere from what I''ve heard.

If there is some young Premier League talent who doesn''t mind being 3rd/4th choice striker and whose club will fund his wages, then get them in on loan. But I really don''t feel it is worth using the tight resources Norwich have in filling a position that is covered.

The U23s look pretty under stocked in general and seem to be calling on younger players a lot. Given the hammerings they have had so far, it could be a very long and tough season for the youngsters.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]As mentioned before, with 3 players in the squad who are all strikers (Jerome, Nelson and Watkins) and Murphy and Naismith who can both "do a job" there I don''t see it as cause for concern. I believe Murphy played largely as a striker while at MK Dons.

I was speaking to someone who knows a lot about German football and he was very impressed Norwich had signed Stiepermann as he really rates him. Apparently he has played as a striker at times also, but it seems that he has played almost everywhere from what I''ve heard.

If there is some young Premier League talent who doesn''t mind being 3rd/4th choice striker and whose club will fund his wages, then get them in on loan. But I really don''t feel it is worth using the tight resources Norwich have in filling a position that is covered.

The U23s look pretty under stocked in general and seem to be calling on younger players a lot. Given the hammerings they have had so far, it could be a very long and tough season for the youngsters.[/quote]I guess we''ll agree to differ on the efficacy of square pegs in round holes, but I would argue that only Nelson and Jerome are true strikers. When Naismith has played up top before he has been useless, and the jury''s still out on Watkins. I''d be more than happy to see Josh given a run up top, though – less defensive responsibility, and the opportunity to be direct and get shots on goal down the middle. Obviously that would necessitate keeping the ball on the deck even more, though, as Josh won''t win anything in the air.

Good strikers don''t grow on trees. We would have to be prepared to pay big money when buying just before the end of the window. Unless we have already been doing some groundwork on this, and I hope that we have been, when we let Morris go.

Watkins is not a typical striker, and nor is Josh. We would have to make progress along the ground and with pace, and balls in the air will be of little use. It could be done, with Wes pulling strings, Vancic and others sliding balls through, and pace in all parts of attack. We would struggle to score many goals, however, and with our porous defence...

[quote user="BobLoz3"]Time to give one of the young lads a go? Such as Fonkeu?? Admittedly, we wouldn''t want to have to rely on him for too long but could be an option.[/quote]

Have we actually signed Fonkeu or was that false news?

[quote user="Salopian"]Good strikers don''t grow on trees. We would have to be prepared to pay big money when buying just before the end of the window. ...[/quote]

Where we might benefit is the 25-man squad rule for the PL - there will likely be a few players in the next 10 days who realise they''re not going to be in their club''s immediate plans; presumably these clubs would rather loan their ''spares'' out than leave them to rot in the reserves so one or two might become available. Assuming Webber is doing his job and talking to other clubs about who will be left out of the PL squads, I''d think we might be able to pick up a loan at least until January.