Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Striker desperately needed

With the news that all 3 striking options, Oliveira, Jerome and Watkins all carrying some sort of injury it just shows how we need another striker.

If these turn into longer term injuries we really will be in trouble if we don''t add another to the squad, even if only a loan

I have to agree, been saying for a while now that we need striker cover in case either or both Jerome & Nelson got injured, appreciate that Watkins can play there if need be, but as you say he''s injured too now so not an option on Sat.

Murphy it has been suggested can play up front and it would certainly give some pace to the attack down the middle if so.   It would free him up from defensive duties a bit more and with a robust set up behind him, I can see it working, but what do I know........                       Gunn       Zimmerman Francke Klose   Pinto                             Stiepermann                        Reed        Maddison   Vrancic   Wes                       Murphy

Time to give one of the young lads a go? Such as Fonkeu?? Admittedly, we wouldn''t want to have to rely on him for too long but could be an option.

Any striker we bought in would be aware they were playing third fiddle to jerome and Oliviera, we can''t afford an upgrade on either of those two and neither of them are happy even being benched as they are both top quality at this level. I agree we could do with another, Abrahams would have been a good 4th choice but it also makes sense to let him have game time so this is a tricky one.

It would make sense to offload Jerome and bring in a player more suited to our system with a bit more pace who would be content with playing second fiddle to Oliviera for a while but Jerome could only be sold to a rival and the fee we''d get wouldn''t be anywhere near enough to find a half decent replacement so I see us as kind of stuck with the current lot.

It''s not ideal but it''s also highly unusual that all 3 forward options would be injured at the same time alongside a whole host of other key players, despite what Farke and webber have been saying I think there are some issues with how hard Farke has worked the team, it''s all well and good deciding to get the team super fit this year but he should bear in mind we can''t chop and change the squad freely and the majority of the team he inherited isn''t used to this kind of workload, was severely undercooked under AN last year and as a result we''ve picked up far too many injuries.

Hope lessons are learned soon.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Murphy it has been suggested can play up front and it would certainly give some pace to the attack down the middle if so.   It would free him up from defensive duties a bit more and with a robust set up behind him, I can see it working, but what do I know........                       Gunn       Zimmerman Francke Klose   Pinto                             Stiepermann                        Reed        Maddison   Vrancic   Wes                       Murphy

[/quote]
Doesn''t stand a chance of working against any half decent opposition because Murphy isn''t going to be able to hold the ball up to get any of the midfielders involved. 
Although saying that, if we were to revert to Farke''s preferred type and style like against Sunderland and have majority of the possession he could make some interesting runs of the ball to open up space. 

I agree with most of the post above. Even Morris would have been a decent backup. Shame we can''t just buy another good quality striker and play with 2 strikers but I think against Charlton Murphy should be good enough to play up top with a good 3 behind him. I wouldn''t risk Jerome as we need a minimum of 2 out and out strikers available every week.

For me this game is a good test for us as we''ve not exactly started ''amazingly'' and a loss would prove we need to invest slightly more.

We''re actually still on for equalling our record in the first ten league games from last season, which saw us sitting pretty for a while until everything collapsed. Admittedly, this would mean winning 5 games and drawing 1 but it is possible (sort of... I think!)

Not ideal at the moment, from the presser both Jerome and Oliveira carrying injuries, as is Watkins. That''s our 3 striker options not fully fit if true.

Murphy can probably do the job against Charlton there, we already know it''s not for Naismith...

Ashley-Seal is our 18 year old CF, but last I heard he was on trial with Chelsea and I''m not sure what came of that/if he''s still with us or not.

Middleton can play as a winger, not seen him as a CF

There''s also the not insignificant matter of goals conceded.

Would suggest we need a defender or two.

The "Alex Neil School of Defense"

We let in 2 goals AVG per game - simple solution - score more goals.

The squad is woefully short in terms of defence, and also a (small, pacy) striker light. I would argue we need back up right back, another CB and a decent LB.

We have sold more than we have brought in terms of value - surely we need to look at reinvesting further?

So Norwich should go out and get a 4th choice striker.

What happens when Jerome, Nelson and Watkins are all fit again? The new striker doesn''t even get on the bench and the wages that he is receiving can''t be used on another position that probably needs more attention.

Farke needs to ease up on the double sessions for a bit and stop his players picking up so many muscle injuries.

Another RB (to allow Martin to focus on being a CB) or CB is needed more than a striker. Premier League teams will be finalising their squads soon and letting Championship clubs know which of their younger players are available for loan. I wouldn''t be surprised if we saw 1, possibly 2, coming in that way. But that will be it.

''Another RB (to allow Martin to focus on being a CB) or CB is needed more than a striker''

Another RB AND another CB are needed so Russell Martin isn''t needed would be more apt. The goal we concede with him in the team is surely not a coincidence.

Thats before we get onto LB...

Regards the striker, I feel we need something that neither Jerome or Oliveira offer in terms of pace. An 18 year old on loan from a Prem team may be the answer

Rogue Baboon,

Watkins is a striker, and if you hadn''t noticed, he is very quick.

Martin is good at centre back to provide back up, otherwise you are just bringing in players to not get near the bench. This is a large part of the problem under AN, the squad was bloated in certain areas and players not playing were causing a bad atmosphere. Ideally you want a squad of 22/23 first team players, with a smattering of younger players to provide extra depth should it be needed.

We aren''t going to see a Norwich squad with 3 or 4 players for every position, it is expensive and often counter-productive.

Ashley-Seal is still listed on the official website in the U23s section, but I thought his contract had expired in the summer. Neither Leicester nor Chelsea have announced his signing to my knowledge.Also, Fonkeu was never formally announced and neither is he listed on the official website.Jaiyesimi is on loan at Grimsby, Morris at Shrewsbury, and Abrahams loaned back to Orient... do we actually have any strikers in the U23s...?!

Watkins is a winger who can play up front if needed. I would prefer we have an extra out & out striker. For too olong we have had square pegs in round holes because they can do a job if needed

Martin is not a good back up CB in my opinion.

As for 3 or 4 players in every position, we only have 1 RB and 1 LB (who is nowhere near good enough for this level). CBs we have 3, 2 new guys who are completely knew to the Championship and have come from a much lower level in Germany. Klose is injured, but would be surprised to see him here after January when Raggett comes back.

On top of that 2 of our best players so far are only on loan, which will take up a large chunk of next years budget to replace

Watkins played as many games as a striker as he did a wide forward (rarely a winger) for Barnsley last season. He has also said he prefers playing ''through the middle'' than out wide.

Norwich have 2 right backs, Pinto and Martin (and there is also Godfrey who is considered a RB more than a CB). At CB there are three, I don''t think Klose will leave in January as if he was in demand he would have left this summer. As I said a RB or CB is needed in my view, but it depends on how ready they consider Godfrey. There are 3 LBs, Husband, Toffolo and Lewis (Stiepermann can also play LWB). Husband had very good seasons with Huddesfield and Fulham in the Championship so is good enough for this level but is unsurprisingly a bit ring-rusty after a season of being a back up.

Making major squad decisions after a few games is knee jerk at its worst. Every fan talked about the need to be patient in the close season, then a ball got kicked in anger and everyone lost their sh*t.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Watkins played as many games as a striker as he did a wide forward (rarely a winger) for Barnsley last season. He has also said he prefers playing ''through the middle'' than out wide.

Norwich have 2 right backs, Pinto and Martin (and there is also Godfrey who is considered a RB more than a CB). At CB there are three, I don''t think Klose will leave in January as if he was in demand he would have left this summer. As I said a RB or CB is needed in my view, but it depends on how ready they consider Godfrey. There are 3 LBs, Husband, Toffolo and Lewis (Stiepermann can also play LWB). Husband had very good seasons with Huddesfield and Fulham in the Championship so is good enough for this level but is unsurprisingly a bit ring-rusty after a season of being a back up.

Making major squad decisions after a few games is knee jerk at its worst. Every fan talked about the need to be patient in the close season, then a ball got kicked in anger and everyone lost their sh*t.[/quote]Who''d''ve thought it, eh? [:D]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Making major squad decisions after a few games is knee jerk at its worst. Every fan talked about the need to be patient in the close season, then a ball got kicked in anger and everyone lost their sh*t.[/quote]Ain''t that a fact. [Y]

In those 2 loan spells, Husband played 29 games, which doesn''t suggest ''very good seasons''

I agree re Toffolo & Godfrey, I hope they are ready for the rigours of the Championship as they will be needed, Lewis I was discounting as he is going to miss virtually the whole season

Husband joined Fulham in March 2015 and played every game after he joined. Fulham also brought him back for a month the following season, so obviously thought he was good enough.

Huddersfield signed him on loan in Jan 2016 and he played pretty much every game he was available. Webber, who signed him for Huddesfield, obviously thought he was good enough for the Championship as he decided to sign him again.

Bethnal, do you (or anyone else) happen to have any info regarding Ashley-Seal or Fonkeu? Seems to have gone quiet on both fronts... it appears we don''t actually have any strikers in the U23s!