Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Rome was not built in a day.

I like the claims that if we dont go up this season we''ll suddenly sell any half decent player.

I mean its all a bit pathetic and desperate if you ask me. If we dont go up, its unlikely that all these players will have had such awesome seasons that prem clubs will be desperate for them.

The other aspect people are missing is the work already done by Webber and Stone is to ensure we can remain competitive in future seasons. So whilst weve not splashed the cash this season, it might be as part of a plan to keep our better players for the next few years.

Im repeating myself but Jesus wept there are some real cries of desperation on here. Man up.

So, if we fail to get promotion...

Pritchard will want to stay?

Oliveira will want to stay?

Pinto will want to stay?

Murphy will want to stay?

And who says anything about Prem clubs wanting them? A lot of Championship clubs can now easily afford them.

That''s before you take into account the club choosing to sell. We have had to sell this summer - next year we will be £30million worse off. And out of next years budget we have to replace 2 of our best players so far this season.

Wanting to leave and having a bigger club with better promotion chances and also wanting to buy them are slightly different things.

Also, we all know we will be 30 million worse of should we not get promoted. I would guess that Stone and Webber are also aware and part of the restructuring and releasing and selling of players this summer was with that in mind.

It has been generally accepted by myself and my admittedly limited circle of budgie acquaintances these days that not only is this season make or break for NCFC but also for the Delia Smith regime.

Of course that means promotion, but notably, and some might say generously, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that this stance could stretch to two seasons providing the signs are promising and a play-off place, or a near one is, attained.

This reeks of a sense of entitlement, but so what? That is the way football supporters are and we have surely missed rather too many boats in the last decade.

If we still remain in the second tier at the end of the season after this I, for one, would want a change at the top whatever that means or however that is obtained or, indeed, whatever risks that it involves.

Delia acquired our club at a time when her financial clout was crucial. She hasn''t had a bad innings overall, albeit a bit roller-coaster with as many mistakes as worthwhile achievements. You could say that about most football clubs in any case. The girl''s done quite good.

Times change, and will have changed that little bit more after two more years no doubt, but the Delia-Winnie partnership has limited change in it. This is mainly financial but they are getting no younger and a football club is the very last kind of business which can be passed on as some kind of heirloom to a younger family member. It could work but it remains a bit of an insult to loyal supporters in my humble opinion and the financial restraints will remain in any case.

Delia''s money got her our club and we were grateful at the time. Her lack of it, relatively speaking, could likely become a sheet-anchor in the future whereby regular excursions into the top-tier become a thing of the past and that eclipsing that notorious fifteen consecutive seasons in the Chumps that we all ridicule becomes becomes the limit of our achievements.

In short, and overwhelmed by the amount of money being frequently invested in the game at the moment, Delia Smith will become an imposter and that somewhat unsavoury "play-thing" tag will surely become a sad truism.

This latest experiment is bold, may be a slight bit premature (as has been well pointed out in that excellent posting yesterday,) and may work miracles by defying all odds. It has prolonged Delia''s shelf-life at the very least.

It also seems destined to succeed to a certain extent but more is required and it is the failure of it to achieve the maximum that should, imo, result in a ''yellow'' revolution of some considerably more sorts than has taken place over the Summer.

As a footnote and continuing the Rome theme.

"McCarthago delenda est."

Marcus Evans seems to have got something right at last. Thank goodness it''s destined to be a temporary state of affairs.

@Broadstairs
"This reeks of a sense of entitlement, but so what? That is the way football supporters are and we have surely missed rather too many boats in the last decade."
Er, have you spoken to many football supporters Broadstairs? There are 92 clubs in the top four English leagues. Do you really think the fans of the great majority of those clubs have a sense of entitlement to Premier League football? Do you think Huddersfield fans have such a sense of entitlement?

[quote user="hogesar"]Wanting to leave and having a bigger club with better promotion chances and also wanting to buy them are slightly different things.

Also, we all know we will be 30 million worse of should we not get promoted. I would guess that Stone and Webber are also aware and part of the restructuring and releasing and selling of players this summer was with that in mind.[/quote]Also, we don''t know how much we owe that is due on players that we have bought in recent years, as payment can be in instalments over many years.   

[quote user="Jim Smith"]This would all be fine were it not for the fact that we will then be told we have to sell Maddison, Pritchard, Murphy and Oliveira in the summer because we''ve lost our parachute payments. We are being asked to be patient in the one season where we actually don''t really have the time to be patient.

Delia and co have wasted every opportunity we''ve had and now I fear will preside over a slide to real mediocrity for years.[/quote]

Jim not a fan of our owners but how do we get rid them are majority shareholders and wont sell!!! As for the panic posts, there was some poor defending on Saturday, Martin wont get a kick when Klose is fit, Wildschut could cover Pinto as well as being an impact player, Stoiperman can play left back I thought when he moved more central in the second half he looked a decent player. We played some decent probing football second half, and with more luck could have won the game. Steve Bruce said we were a decent sid, work on the defence and midfield so that when we play a high line the midfield keeps hold of it so then the defence is not immediately put on the back foot. Zimmerman needs more work done with him and imo Franke could become avery good defender. One more signing is required a pacey striker, thats all

"This reeks of a sense of entitlement, but so what? That is the way football supporters are and we have surely missed rather too many boats in the last decade."

"Er, have you spoken to many football supporters Broadstairs?"

Interesting piece of nit-pickery there especially at it didn''t even concern the main gist of the posting.

Perhaps I should have added "within reason" as this is the PinkUn forum after all and words need to be chosen carefully.

With regards to NCFC, we have after all spent four of the last seven seasons in the Premier League and it would also seem that the vast majority of the supporters of current Championship clubs, even going down to those of ITFC, feel that their club should be up there with the elite.

Also, I''m sure I saw a "Back where we belong" banner at the John Smith Stadium yesterday as well, although I have probably not spoken to too many Huddersfield supporters.

The issue here is that we have had a number of years in the Premiership& have had the money that comes with that. I truly believe that the owners of our football have absolutely ruined the best & possibly only chance we had to establish ourselves in the top league by failing to agree a policy on player recruitment (how often has our scouting system been ridiculed), appointing people with no qualifications to the club (Tom is the latest), poor appointment of managers & failing to deal with managers clearly out of the depth and using the club as their own play thing.

Their refusal to look for better investment is a staggering lack of respect for us the paying supporters and means we will fall further behind the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, Stoke, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth...

Meanwhile the manager (i like him, it''s not his fault) uses this as an excuse "''#avfc had the former cpt of England at CB. We had a guy who was playing in the German 4th league last season.'' DF.... yep not good enough

If you think that we will keep Pritchard, Murphy, Nelson Maddison beyond a season or two you are deluded. The team is massively weakened and will continue to be so as long as the Stowmarket Two need it to fund their social life.

PS Not interested in meeting them in a pub, just what owners to do a decent job given the frequent 26''000 backing.

Football Clubs generally go through cycles over the seasons - how much money they have has a contributory impact on how wide that cycle will be and how long it will last, e.g. a Man Utd cycle will peak at winning the premier league/champions league and plunge to the depths of a 6 placed finish. Norwich have shown that our peak can be mid-table in the premiership, but also go as low as league one. I''m not going to overly concern myself with where we are in the cycle, I''m just going to enjoy the ride

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]Football Clubs generally go through cycles over the seasons - how much money they have has a contributory impact on how wide that cycle will be and how long it will last, e.g. a Man Utd cycle will peak at winning the premier league/champions league and plunge to the depths of a 6 placed finish. Norwich have shown that our peak can be mid-table in the premiership, but also go as low as league one. I''m not going to overly concern myself with where we are in the cycle, I''m just going to enjoy the ride[/quote] [Y] Far more representative of football supporters generally than Broadstairs'' self-entitled fans.

"Far more representative of football supporters generally than Broadstairs'' self-entitled fans."

Weak.

Contribute a bit more to the debate please rather than obsessing about some minor point.

You''ve clearly spoken to lots of representative football supporters generally though, I''ll give you that.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]Football Clubs generally go through cycles over the seasons - how much money they have has a contributory impact on how wide that cycle will be and how long it will last, e.g. a Man Utd cycle will peak at winning the premier league/champions league and plunge to the depths of a 6 placed finish. Norwich have shown that our peak can be mid-table in the premiership, but also go as low as league one. I''m not going to overly concern myself with where we are in the cycle, I''m just going to enjoy the ride[/quote]

Most City fans I know don''t enjoy the decline of their football club... I guess we are just weird...

Most posters on here don''t enjoy anything about our football club. Thankfully that''s not a representative sample of our support as a whole.

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="writeronthestorm"]Football Clubs generally go through cycles over the seasons - how much money they have has a contributory impact on how wide that cycle will be and how long it will last, e.g. a Man Utd cycle will peak at winning the premier league/champions league and plunge to the depths of a 6 placed finish. Norwich have shown that our peak can be mid-table in the premiership, but also go as low as league one. I''m not going to overly concern myself with where we are in the cycle, I''m just going to enjoy the ride[/quote]

Most City fans I know don''t enjoy the decline of their football club... I guess we are just weird...[/quote]

Clubs that get on a downer and can''t get back up gain are usually like

that because there is something fundamentally wrong at their club,

either financially or in the ethos of the club.  At Norwich we don''t stay on a downer for too long. Historically we have had horrendous times with the finances and that has affected on pitch performances, but we always seem to bounce back, even if it takes a few years - like after Walker or after Worthy, both majorly to do with finances. Now some seeem to think we''re on a downer again, but history suggests we are not. Finances are sound, we still have a good squad with some execllent players and a new era of football based around the youth set up and a progressive management set up.  Plus a ground that is filled almost to capacity every week.  If that is a club on a downer, then my name is Aunt Fanny (it isn''t, btw).  The championship is a tough place, plenty of tough teams and that is what we have to deal with. We lost against Sunderland and we got hammered in the first half against Villa - just two battles out of four that we came out of the wrong side on - the Fulham recovery was good to see as was the solid victory against QPR. The team are learning, the new players are learning, the project will develop and players will settle and acclimatise.  We are NOT in decline. Sayng we are in decline is what my old grandad would have called "conchie talk"...... 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Most posters on here don''t enjoy anything about our football club. Thankfully that''s not a representative sample of our support as a whole.[/quote]
That''s probably why this messageboard gets a bit ridiculed on social media [:)]

We are not in the top flight, we were.. we have sold our best two players.... we have won 2 away in 19.... yep all rosy & going well....

Guess I just have higher hopes for my club.

To half at best this season and then amore of the same for years to come... happy days

If the finances are sound why have we not made one decent summer signing ? even the manager said he would have liked to sign better players but he knew the situation before he came , in other words he was told there was nothing of note to spend before he joined . We must be the only club with owners who contribute sod all to the club even him down the road coughs up more than Delia and co could raise between them , if you can''t piss get off the pot .

Finances are sound?

Except we have to sell to buy, even then have spent nowhere near as much as we have brought in, and we have a £30million black hole if we fail to get promoted. 2 of our best players this season are on loan & will need replacing next summer before we think about improving the squad elsewhere, eating up a large part of our playing budget.

They may be ''sound'', but for how long?

[quote user="Mike"]Most City fans I know don''t enjoy the decline of their football club... I guess we are just weird...[/quote]

I enjoy supporting Norwich through thick and thin - if I didn''t then I''d go and find something else to do - doesn''t mean it''s not tough to do sometimes, but if you get nothing positive out of it, why bother?

IMHO we are transitioning at the moment: things will settle down and we will come good - I have faith in Farke and what he is trying to do here.

The only thing kind of brought up which I agree with is with all the premiership money we''ve had, I don''t think the owners / chief exec / whoever has had a proper recruitment plan in place.
And it''s not been a lack of ambition because I think we''ve desperately tried to sign good players to keep us in the Prem. But it''s been very reactionary rather than proactive and it''s cost us a lot in transfer fees, wages, and potentially further seasons in the prem.
Ironically during AN''s tenure there were lots of complaints about recruitment policy but at least we signed some future players who we''re now starting to benefit from (Thompson although injured, Maddison, etc). I didn''t see any of that in the Lambert / Hughton era.

Not exactly evidence of a policy of signing youngsters for the future, but Hughton did sign Jacob Butterfield (I read somewhere that it was Lambert who wanted him and Hughton who persuaded him to come). Didn''t work out too well, since JB clearly wasn''t blessed with Maddison''s patience.