Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Barnsley takeover

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Money isn''t everything, but financial worries is almost certainly one of the biggest causes of depression & worse.

I posted a direct response to LDC on another thread, but will post similar here...

Would you accept lower end Championship or top end League One if it meant that the club was left in ''good hands''

It may seem extreme, but more & more Championship teams have investment & the terms coming down are getting more & more in terms of parachute payments. Coupled with our current & imminent financial issues (selling players, investing in unknowns/young players & imminent end of parachute payments) I just cannot see playoffs as a realistic target after this season[/quote]

Great post if only more people would realise what''s happening to our club.[/quote]

I disagree strongly. The numbers don''t stack up. The more clubs that have lots of money, the less very good players there will be to go round, so more mediocre players will command huge fees.....and the difference between those that have lots of money and those that have less, will see less differential in the standard of players.  It is bound to happen, rich clubs will spend more money,  for less quality. It is happening already and it will allow the more frugal well run clubs to compete with the rich clubs, using strategies of youth development and clever use of loans and young players.  And the more clubs that sell out to investors, the less they will be able to get for their money. Well run clubs the size of ours, will always be able to compete if they are clever and creative with getting young players in.  Better to be clever and not sell out, than sell to a speculator, spend millions upon millions on players that we all think are not really worth it and still see us struggle because we are competing with so many other clubs who have money.   We will eventually arrive at a situation where nearly all the clubs in the championship have millions to spend. Well only three clubs get promoted, so if we sold out, we would be spending millions and be no better off for it.  People speak about the bubble bursting in terms of the money that pours into clubs from investors. Well it will eventually happen - it is bound to - the more clubs that are rich, the less success their money will give them - and the investors will sooner or later, lose interest.  The only clubs that will keep their investors interested when they realise they can''t win, are those that have investors who are supporters too (like Bentham at Brentford).  We are lucky. We are protected and will not suffer like some of the richer clubs will when that bubble bursts - because our club will be sustainable AND still have supporters as owners.

[/quote]

I don''t disagree entirely although I think you downplay the importance of money in terms of results. I think the correlation between league position and wage bill has been fairly clearly evidenced in recent years.

There is also a massive IF in there which is "if they are clever."

Unfortunately our boards decision making in recent years has demonstrated a singular lack of ruthlessness and foresight. Let''s hope that has now changed.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 22/08/2017 4:59 PM:

At no point did I say my values were better than yours Crafty, just different. And at no point did I say I''d be happy in the Evostick league and it''s plain daft to say that.

I don''t agree with this money allowing people to be miserable in comfort either. That''s a myth. Anyway, nobody has said money is bad. Money can be good and be used to do good. However the love and pursuit of money is very often a fast track to misery. The pressures in the society we live convince people that they continually need things and should get into debt to get them. The enjoyment of having those things is very short lived however the resultant debt and poverty is a huge cause of depression and unhappiness.

A supporter of your experience should know that the last ten years have been a very enjoyable period to be a Norwich fan. Much more enjoyable than the years when we cut our teeth Crafty. And there''s nothing to suggest the next ten won''t be just as enjoyable. Except those pressures about money convincing people they would be happier if our club had more of it. I just read on another thread that administration would be fine, anything''s worth the risk of attaining more money. And this money will not benefit any of our fans. It will not guarantee success on the field and it will not mean tickets for fans will be cheaper. It just means that more money could be paid to already obscenely overpaid players. And just say the money moved us to the PL for 4 or 5 seasons the same pressures would be brought to bear. We would need more and more as we clamour for some status that doesn''t really exist.

Nutty, I wasn''t trying to claim you felt your values are better than mine. You say that you value the enjoyment and community values of being a City fan and as such these can be had at non-league status as much as EFL status. I think our season in League 1 had plenty of these values. Of course being as high in the football hierarchy as we can is good but not a necessity to meet your values.

I agree with you that money is a short term motivator. If you do a job you dislike but are suddenly given a big pay rise your motivation goes up for a short period. Then you realise you still dislike your job but will now fond it harder to move because of the extra money. It brings. It is why I wanted leadership roles in my career because these brought challenges I enjoyed tackling.

Yes, we have had an interesting ten years. Lots of enjoyment but also lots of disappointing experiences. As a club we are probably at our historical level. Whether we rise or sink from this level City is our club and we shall support it nonetheless. Even in the Evostick League if needs be.