Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Barnsley takeover

You really are a strange person! I will bow to you oh great one and not bother you anymore, and I don''t have anger issues except with you! Enjoy your time with your family at the game, I hope it''s a good game and you enjoy it

Not as strange as you Baldy. Swinging from a foul mouthed pm to an overly polite reply on here. Still there''s nowt as strange as folk. Particularly bald simple angry folk...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
 I shall be at the game in a group of 16 of my family.
[/quote]That is a big fans group Nutty. One of the bigger ones for sure.

I think this topic is a valid one.
There does seem to be a reaction whenever someone mentions a wealthy owner takeover.
Of course it isn''t desirable but it may well become necessary.
I don''t believe much of the rhetoric that so many would support in L2. The gates would drop off dramatically.
This season is so important for the club. I was delighted when the changes were made and really look forward to us playing well and hopefully winning. And if the football becomes attractive and solid then I think we can accept staying in the Championship on the promise of further improvement.
But like it or not, more and more clubs have been taken over although none are guaranteed success. But if this trend continues and our attraction diminishes, then it may become a problem. And those supporters who have been used to NCFC competing for decent players, may see us scouring the lower reaches for talent.and I''m not against that either.
I have no gripe with the owners at all. but in the same way as the advent of competition by the media for football rights has led to an over inflated market, then just maybe we will have no choice but to believe that if you can''t beat them then join them.

As a bonnet on here does not tire of reminding us recently we will in all probability have a lower budget than Ipswich because Marcus Evans actually enables them to run at a loss whereas it''s clear our board will not do that nor will they apparently allow us to have external debt. We are going to have to sell players for a lot of money every summer.

Can''t compare our financial situation to theirs. They don''t own any assets (ground, training ground etc) have a huge amount of debt and completely depend on the whims of Evans.

Can''t compare our financial situation to theirs. They don''t own any assets (ground, training ground etc) have a huge amount of debt and completely depend on the whims of Evans. 
Not so sure that ownership of the ground etc matters too much with a single owner. Preferable but not vital.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Apparently Barnsley are in talks with some Chinese investors with regards to a takeover.

I wonder how many of their fans are saying we don''t want any foreign investment
like a lot of posters do on here![/quote]I reckon the Tykes idea of foreign investment means anyone outside South Yorkshire...

But it makes a difference if that owner chucks in the towel or suffers a financial issue. If Delia and Michael decide to pull out we''ve got assets. But if Evans decides he is done then Ipswich don''t even have a ground.

Ipswich would likely go under if he decides to call it a day. I don''t think he would leave them in the lurch however so they should be fine. If they get promoted this year they''ll suffer from the problems we have had, cant compete etc

But it makes a difference if that owner chucks in the towel or suffers a financial issue. If Delia and Michael decide to pull out we''ve got assets. But if Evans decides he is done then Ipswich don''t even have a ground. 
If Delia and Michael pull out it will be because they have sold or given their shares to someone else. That won''t alter the ownership of the ground. We could suffer equal financial issues just as single ownership could.

We have to ensure that the footballing model supports us financially if we are to stay the way we are and that means developing talent, whether our own or others'' like Maddison, and then regular selling. Plus retaining ownership of the ground and maximising other commercial revenue using the unique location that CR has with no other large stadia around for 40 miles.

You could have bonkers poor owners, normal poor owners, bonkers rich, and so on. the money is just part of it. The mental state/competence of the owners entirely another.

But this is how I look at it: all other things being equal more money would help us to compete better and while not guaranteeing success will increase the chances of it occurring.

''But this is how I look at it: all other things being equal more money would help us to compete better and while not guaranteeing success will increase the chances of it occurring. ''

This is it in a nutshell. Investment doesn''t guarantee success, but at least we will be able to compete.

As it stands we are having to sell some of our better players - whats it going to be like next year when we dont have any parachute payments left? Eventually the sellable playing ''assets'' run out, then what?

Tumbleweeds last point is a good one but certainly not the whole debate in a nutshell. An owners wealth can be only part of the equation. There is a lot more to consider when considering who should be custodians of our football club.

Money is not everything in life. It''s not even the most important thing in life. Those who believe it is are some of the most unhappy people you will meet.

Agree money isn''t everything in life. But it is in football.

You only have to look at the timing of the EFL cup to see that.

Money isn''t everything, but financial worries is almost certainly one of the biggest causes of depression & worse.

I posted a direct response to LDC on another thread, but will post similar here...

Would you accept lower end Championship or top end League One if it meant that the club was left in ''good hands''

It may seem extreme, but more & more Championship teams have investment & the terms coming down are getting more & more in terms of parachute payments. Coupled with our current & imminent financial issues (selling players, investing in unknowns/young players & imminent end of parachute payments) I just cannot see playoffs as a realistic target after this season

You are absolutely right NN, but that''s why I said "all other things being equal". Of course they aren''t all equal and there are a myriad of factors which will complicate the issue.

But I remember when Lambert got us promoted and a reporter asked him if it had happened too early. He gave the reporter a withering stare and said something like "Well, would I rather have £90m or would I rather not have £90M? That''s your answer"

No, money isn''t everything but unfortunately it''s become more important in football than ever. This is an area where American sports is far superior to what we have. They have salary caps, no transfer fees, proper squad size limits and enforceable contracts that mean teams can''t just spend their ways to success.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Money isn''t everything, but financial worries is almost certainly one of the biggest causes of depression & worse.

I posted a direct response to LDC on another thread, but will post similar here...

Would you accept lower end Championship or top end League One if it meant that the club was left in ''good hands''

It may seem extreme, but more & more Championship teams have investment & the terms coming down are getting more & more in terms of parachute payments. Coupled with our current & imminent financial issues (selling players, investing in unknowns/young players & imminent end of parachute payments) I just cannot see playoffs as a realistic target after this season[/quote]

This in a nutshell is the choice we are being asked to make although to be more precise is the future we are having imposed upon us.

A club under our ownership model and with no parachute payments is realistically going to be bumbling along in the lower echalons of the championship and possibly dipping into league 1 from time to time with perhaps the occasional challenge for the top 6 if we get a particularly good crop of youngsters come through. The question is whether fans are happy with that existence in return for knowing that the club is owned by fans and will not be put at risk as opposed to being able to challenge more regularly but perhaps run the risk of getting into financial difficulties if it goes wrong.

Personally I think it might be nice for the owners to ask the fans what they think but just my view.

One point to add to that Jim...

Based on the model, that ''good crop of youngsters'' would then have to be sold to finance the next few years. So even if we hit on a good crop, they would soon be shipped out again.

Rogue Baboon wrote the following post at 22/08/2017 10:49 AM:

@Greavsey, i would agree up to a point.

But also, lets not get confused with the issue about having too much money v not enough money.

Not sure if you mean football or personal wise. Either way I think it''s the pressure from society to appear successful, that is unfortunately measured in financial terms that is part of the problem too.

There are many different causes of depression connected with money and the pressures it brings on people. They can be through having too much money, not enough money and quite commonly the misconception that money can bring happiness. However none of that is relevant when deciding who should be custodian of our football club.

Selling out to Chinese investors with no connection to the area or the club sounds just a bit desparate. Money certainly helps but no guarantee of success. In football, as in life, success is earned not bought.