Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Article on investment.

Interesting stuff. Also interesting to read of the new restrictions in China. It may be that if the owners do ever have a change of heart that they will find they have missed the boat!

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]But are any of these Chinese investors, true Norwich supporters ?     [/quote]Unless David Lee is hiding his true wealth I''d ay that the answer is definitely no.

The clue here is in the word "investment". The Chinese are buying into clubs as they expect to make a huge return on the money they are putting in.

If you look at the club''s they are buying, you can see that there is real opportunity for them, in each case, to be massive (although Southampton is a slightly odd one).

Unfortunately, Norwich simply doesn''t offer that opportunity. The club is probably already somewhere near it''s maximum size due to the geographically limited catchment area (population-wise anyway). Could we ever sustain more than 35,000 week in, week out? A small club locally, is never going to be a big club globally.

If you want someone to invest in the club, the best we can expect is someone who wants a personal plaything....a toy. Personally, this scares me (we have seen it go wrong so many times) and is not what I want for our club.

I am no particular supporter of Delta''s, but careful what you wish for. The grass isn''t always greener.

I''m not saying I particularly want Chinese owners but we have just as much potential as the likes of Southampton, Leicester, West Brom, Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I''m not saying I particularly want Chinese owners but we have just as much potential as the likes of Southampton, Leicester, West Brom, Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea.[/quote]

Living right by West Brom, I attend a few games each year when the tickets are cheap and the hawthorns is nowhere near capacity!

I''d see Norwich as a better investment as the ground is always near full and I bet there are quite a few waiting on season tickets

[quote user="TCCANARY"]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/18/china-english-football-southampton-gao-jisheng

The last paragraph sums the current situation up nicely.

[/quote]And the oaragraph should be the warning"On Friday the Chinese state council announced tough new restrictions on

investment in things like overseas hotels and football clubs"As they are ways of cleaning up ''dirty'' money.Look how much leeches out in ''agent''s fees''. The PL is a massive money laundering racket.There are only so many places in the PL. And with TV money now showing signs of having peaked, something will give.How much is as unknwn as when, at this stage.But as the final paragraph states... the gormless never look that far.Perhaps they could ask Portsmouth and Blackpool fans how they feel.

Sadly, we have nowhere near the ultimate potential as most of that lot. The Midlands has millions of people, all within a short(ish) distance of a football ground. They won''t all survive this investment from the Chinese, but those that do will end up with a huge fan base. Even the south coast has a large fan base....although there is no way they will all survive this. I rather suspect that Bournemouth/Portsmouth will die away and Southampton will grow and grow. Watford is in the London conurbation and hence has huge potential.

This is about potential. Investment balanced against risk and return. The Chinese will know that by investing in so many clubs, there are going to be failures, but those they are investing in all have the capacity for significant growth.

Norwich are only ever pulling from a pool of 100s of thousands. Sad as it may be, we are not an attractive proposition for investors to build a mega-club of the future.

What about the potential of a brand within China? Is the UK geography then of paramount importance?

Football is global. The ''English'' brand is powerful. Chocolate box pretty, Brazil Colours, real ''English Countryside'', family history and culture.

Many an International Company (or country) would buy into those brand values and/or want to be associated with them (with the added value of the football sector).

Once we are ''balanced'' and back to self-sufficient, no Parachute money, we may conversely become more attractive (and/or more vulnerable) to International investment.

Parma

Sadly, we have nowhere near the ultimate potential as most of that lot.
To be honest, I think NCFC has more potential.
It is one of the most individual clubs in the country. It has no competition. Not from football or any other sport. And it has well over 20K loyal supporters who buy season tickets.
With investment the potential to increase ground capacity without resorting to building another stadium and thus income is a bonus.

You need to rethink scot-e-dog. Ask any Watford fan why they fail to sell out their ground even in the Prem and they`ll bang on about big clubs just down the road. The London conurbation is 10m, yes, but now count the clubs.... Football is tribal- whole families tend to stick with one club. City have over 1 million people in Norfolk and Waveney to draw from with no competition- that represents enormous potential.

You also have to wonder how sustainable is it relying on Chinese investment in football...look what is happening to their game:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/thirteen-chinese-super-league-clubs-face-expulsion-unpaid-debts/

Admittedly, some of the clubs are disputing the claims, but you have to wonder if the clubs that are owned by foreign investors are not getting into the PL - which they all can''t what will happen to the investment. Will they stop paying, will they start taking their money out. Just look at Blackburn with the Venkys:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/blackburn-rovers-relegate-venkys-out-kentaro-jerome-anderson-a7724601.html