Sign in to follow this  
GPB

Ipswich, PR and the EADT

This is a thread progressed from my good friend Bury Green''s comments earlier under the ITFC Debt thread. But it is worth developing...

I travelled to Liverpool St today via Ipswich and picked up an EADT left on the train. The match reports were quite unbelievable and you really do wonder if the good people of Ipswich could POSSIBLY be taken in.

First a chap called Derek Davis , who seems to be the main contributor, banged on about the ref (obviously) a penalty that De Vos should have had (news to me) and, in a secondary rant, the fact that Huckerby got a lucky bounce (headline Hucks Luck or something) whilst fully exonerating the hapless keeper (who''s name escapes me.)

The best is yet to come however as "Steve Mellen" ( a slightly morous chap who seems to have risen from the ranks of the Bury Free Press) loses it completely, saying that City are rubbish (not as good as Southampton, who incidentally got a draw at Portman Road) , that our crowd was "unusually quiet" whatever that means and finally joyously declaring that Sheff Utd are points ahead of us. NOT ONE WORD about Ipswich.

Having introduced a mantra about Law 12 the whole of the EADT claims that "the through ball was going straight to the GK" so it couldn''t possibly be an "obvious goalscoring opportunity" ... they have apparently missed the fact that the ball bounces of the stricken Lisbie (useless in the eyes of Mellen by the way) and THEN gets picked up be the GK.

As an encore Davies awards the MOM to Currie!!!!!!

Absolute drivel isn''t it? Surely it doesn''t sell papers?

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of bias towards your team of choice. Well, maybe when the bias clouds the clarity of the match so much that the reporter may as well have stayed at home and made it up in his head, although from what you say it seems they have. Only accurate point they made was probably score no doubt.

i seem to remember one year, can''t remember which (maybe the play off year) when they failed to report the match at all cos we won it

the EADT is well known for its bias, we may sometimes think the EDP and Evening News lean towards Norwich, but the poor souls in ipswich have been fed this stuff for decades, i know, i lived deep in scum territory during the 80s (nice) and its all true, they really do think they are a wonderful team

shame sheepshanks had to go and finally bring them down to earth

Dont be surprised. I recall the year of Bryan Gunns miskick when the pitch was invaded and several city players were kicked and spat at. coins and debris rained up at the visiting fans, who, not surprisingly respondd with all manner of debris of their own. The evening star referred to the ''friendly gathering'' on the pitch and carried a fron page picture of a city fan ripping an advertising hoarding from its housing in order to throw it. As i was at the front of the upper stand, i blew up the picture, and there i am, on the front page of the evening star along with dozens of disgruntled looking city fans. Still have the blown up pic on my desk at work today!!! But it proves that the evening star is completely bias.

It could be worse, I was visiting Miss Trent Canary this weekend, and had to listen to the game on Radio SuffolK! Their equivalent of Neil Adams thought Hughes''s challenge on their goalkeeper was "Common Assault" and he "Would have been arrested if this wasnt a football game"  Also the referee ruined the game, and he was "Useless". And I thought commentators were supposed to be intelligent..!

Oh what do you expect? They need some straws to cling to. When was the last time they even scored against us at PR? Imagine how we''d feel if the reverse were true, pretty peed off I would think, and pretty bitter and twisted. Most of the Ipswich fans where I work are not in such denial and really only expect a mid-table finish this season at best...