Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Rooney retires from England Duty

Who saw that one coming?

Sensible for me given his age and the fact he wants to do well for Everton, and I think he knows players like Kane have to step up to the plate now and take on that responsibility and I believe Kane is just as capable now.

Thoughts?

He was being asked in interviews if he was likely to get back in the England team, which made him think about it. A professional decision to lengthen his career. 

Whilst I agree with his decision, seems strange that he wasn''t pick for the last couple of games, decided to retire but didn''t tell Southgate until he picked him again!

Often bemoaned but bottom line is he''s scored more competitive goals for his country than anyone before him, is our record goal scorer and former captain. In any other country that would be revered but we just knock him because of a bunk up with a granny or his hair or whatever.

Sad really. Has a great international record but won''t be remembered as fondly as Lineker, Owen or Shearer.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Often bemoaned but bottom line is he''s scored more competitive goals for his country than anyone before him, is our record goal scorer and former captain. In any other country that would be revered but we just knock him because of a bunk up with a granny or his hair or whatever.

Sad really. Has a great international record but won''t be remembered as fondly as Lineker, Owen or Shearer.[/quote]
He has been a top, top player for club and country.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Whilst I agree with his decision, seems strange that he wasn''t pick for the last couple of games, decided to retire but didn''t tell Southgate until he picked him again![/quote]

Going out on his terms. Better to go out knowing your still wanted and therefore good enough.

Fair play to Rooney. He''s always been passionate to play for England, and it clearly meant a lot to him. I didn''t always get the same impression from the likes of Gerrard and Lampard, or most of this so called young talent we now have.

Rooney, Like Beckham, deserves high praise for his England career.

Hard to argue with his record, but never performed in the major tournaments. His goal scoring record in tournaments is far behind Lineker or Shearer

Rooney is a top professional and i will look back on his international and club career with fondness.