Sign in to follow this  
General Melchett

Fleming at right back

I cant say whether Flem is 4th choice Centre half. He was certainly a right back when he first signed for us and spent the majority of his first season in that position. I doubt we will see him in that role on Saturday unless Colin is carrying an injury.

With regards to the captaincy, it was Hughes that wore the armband so I would imagine he will have that role going forward with Flem retaining his Club Captain duties.

Certainly seems to be third choice equal centre half.  Resting Colin meant he had to play there and given that that is where he played for Oldham it wasn''t a surprise.

He played reasonably well there and I wouldn''t be hugely surprised if Worthy didn''t try and squeeze him in there on Saturday - not saying I would wholly agree but that I wouldn''t be surprised.

Hughes was Captain and will stay so.  He is tremendous as an on pitch motivator, came sprinting out of the tunnel at half time, ran round the pitch and clapped all the stands at the end (as he has done all season) ensured the whole team celebrated together and generally spent most of the game clapping his hands together.

[quote]I cant say whether Flem is 4th choice Centre half. He was certainly a right back when he first signed for us and spent the majority of his first season in that position. I doubt we will see him in tha...[/quote]

By all accounts he did well and seem to have more legs there than when playing centrally.

Given Readings aerial threat, and Flem is better in the air that Colin, I ca see him keeping his place come sat.

It has some logic but I would like to see colin continue - another good game on sunday according to most and benefitting from a more stable central pairing - we haev to start looking to the future at some stage...

OTBC 

Fleming as club Captain.. the last honour paid before you leave the club....Iwan got it for a season and left..and others in the past have too..    I think it will be Flems last season

Flem certainly isn''t 4th choice.  I and everyone else I''m sure will be livid if the Doc and Dav don''t start on Saturday.  However, after those two I''m sure Nige would see Flem as the next available centre back

[quote]Fleming as club Captain.. the last honour paid before you leave the club....Iwan got it for a season and left..and others in the past have too.. I think it will be Flems last season[/quote]

What you say is right kennyfoggo - but drury is still here so its not always that poisoned chalice! 

I think it depends what league we are in next season.  If worthy has now ''seen sense'' on flems performances and the others given a chance promoion will surely mean he is moved to another club? 

However if we remain a fizzy pop team he will still be useful cover, as he has a long contract keep him to it and keep his experience and learn from the mistake of letting Eddygo when he would have been invaluable for us in this league this season.

OTBC

Drury was Team Capt... Fleming Took over the Club Capt... when Iwan went...  And being sort of anyone else suitable to do the job..when it was clearly seen Drury couldn''t handle Team Capt.. Flem took on both mantles..   Now Hughes is here I belive he will remian team Capt..

True as you say..depends where we are come the end of the season... with regards to Fleming... the only thing wrong with Fleming is tha age has cuaght up with him... and in defence it is vital to have a bit of speed in the legs..

Trust me I know....lololol

[quote]By all accounts he did well and seem to have more legs there than when playing centrally. Given Readings aerial threat, and Flem is better in the air that Colin, I ca see him keeping his place come s...[/quote]

Fleming looked good in the first half last night for a number of reasons but mainly because:

a.  Most of Northampton''s threat came down the right side so Fleming had nobody to pick up, which allowed him to get forward and put in some decent crosses.

b.  Fleming did not have to come in and cover for Doherty, because Doherty didn''t go chasing up to the halfway line and suddenly find himself out of position, unlike Fleming who does it regularly.

If Colin is fit then he should come back in, and perhaps Fleming can be used at right back again in the next round of the Carling Cup.

The person I feel really sorry for is Shackell, who apart from a couple of misplaced passes last night, had another outstanding game.  He should at least be on the bench in front of Fleming.

It may be completely coincidental but, did anyone else notice that Fleming was on the halfway line having a drink, whilst all the other platers were celebrating Ashton''s goal.

I think the shacks v flem argument has two facets silver fox.

In the straight race for who is the better centre back I would say that Shacks is now clear winner; he has consistently performed better than flem, keeping a better shape and not being responsible for so many goals conceeded since they came together.  

Shacks is VERY similar to davenport, who comes here without having had the confidence knocked out of him and so looks assured.   In many ways having davenport in means shacks can rebuild his confidence that has been missing over his last 2/3 performances while partnering my fave city defender and take over davenports position when he returns to spurs in mid December.  (I still maintain signing davenport was unnecessary as the shacks/doc partnership should have been given a go first - but now he is here we should use him)

However as far as the subs bench is concerned I pefer to see as few defenders on the bench as possible.  Flem is more adept at playing a full back role than shacks is (Palace anyone?) so that famous worthy versatility gives Flem an edge over shacks for that role.  I too would have flem on the bench for that very reason as cover for injury to doc, davenport or colin.   Should either of our double d''s get injured flem comes on during the game while shacks starts the next one.

OTBC

It is difficult to think of situations where Shackle is not the better player, and mainly because Flem has lost what little pace he had and is very slow to recover from mistakes.

Perhaps Flem could cut it at right back, but he will be lost if he encounters any left winger with pace.

At the moment Colin seems the best right back, while in the centre it''s a question of who partners Davenport. My vote is for Shackle, who is quick to spot danger and as quick to get there and deal with it. He is also very brave - how many times has he been floored in recent games by careless(?) elbows?