Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Carabao cup draw

We only have one aim this season.

Cup runs are super-duper in many respects but they have been known to be detrimental to a team''s achievements in the league in many ways.

I actually preferred AN''s approach,whereby youngsters and also-rans were given a run out than Danny boy''s approach whereby oldies, such as Wes, and current runners are put at unnecessary risk of injury and burn-out.

I suppose this competition has some merit, not least that it gives clubs like NCFC a chance to blood youngsters and give fringe players the opportunity to shine.

We might also have advantaged from a bit of a pay-day, I doubt the trip to Brentford will be that profitable though.

Yep, the more cup games we get this season the better as far as I am concerned to get these new players gelling better, especially the defence. Latter stages would provide good experience against better forwards. I don''t think we are going to be near top two, top 6 outside chance so a cup run isn''t to me interfere with too much and will only benefit us.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Yep, the more cup games we get this season the better as far as I am concerned to get these new players gelling better, especially the defence. Latter stages would provide good experience against better forwards. I don''t think we are going to be near top two, top 6 outside chance so a cup run isn''t to me interfere with too much and will only benefit us.[/quote]

Agree with this. If we are still in with a shout of top six, the confidence gained from a cup run and the chance for all the squad to be involved during the season is a good thing and you  never know in this game - and we are one of only a few clubs who have won this trophy twice or more.

I can fully understand the value of the team needing to gel, and the new coach(s) needing to find their feet with as many competitive games as is possible.

I can also understand Farke''s need to win every single game given that he is in a delicate stage of inauguration into the English game and indeed front line management it''s self.

I also accept that a venture into the latter stages could be of some financial benefit to the club.

It''s also good to have as many games as possible with even more Tuesday nights of involvement, but it would be blindness to ignore the dangers that an extended run in this competition could bring about, not with least injury to a crucial player at a crucial time or with some suspension or other.

I would personally therefore prefer to see how far we can go with a so-called "second eleven," with a few first choice players as substitutes if appropriate.

Once fully fledged I feel our team stands as much chance as anybody of attaining a top six place this season. That has to be the sole aim. Anything else is ultimately likely to be a distraction or a hindrance.

We already have that little bit of catching up to do.

It seems that after their freakish start down the road even that wily old bird McCarthy feels that his outfit now stand that chance as well and he duly virtually threw their last game at Palace away.

All the positives of a little run in this cup apply to ITFC just as much as to us, but McCarthy is more experienced in the trials and tribulations of a long Championship season than DF is after all.

We''ll see.

It''s actually quite pathetic reading the Twitter reaction to this draw on the homepage. LOADS of people moaning that we''ve got Brentford. They expected a ''glamour'' tie... The mentality of some fans is just so bizarre to me. I couldn''t care less who we draw in this cup! Brentford actually gives us a bit of a chance to progress. Although, it''s Round 4 so we probably won''t anyway!